Default Frustration with LGA775 motherboards. Will this combo work?

As a quick side note: Before anyone assumes I haven't looked at Jumper's LGA775 guide I have. Jumper's LGA775/771 guide was definitely useful but there's still a lot I don't know about older hardware that's important for buying what I'm wanting (LGA775/771 conversions, knowing about the other mobo chipsets not included in the guide, how to find the appropriate RAM, what the approximate equivalent Xeon CPUs are, etc.)

I've been trying to figure out the best combo for price/performance in the low(ish) end spectrum of eBay parts. It's a little frustrating though because many LGA775 motherboards don't support the C2Q series or, more specifically, the Q9xxx series. The main frustration comes from it being very difficult to find out support lists and such even when given the motherboard model number. This, for example, says it supports the C2Q series... it doesn't specify which CPUs supports though. Some motherboards I come across will support the Q6xxx series but not the Q9xxx or Q8xxx series.
Also, there is a ton of different speeds and types for RAM.
If this combo won't work for whatever reason, I'll probably post more threads or ask in this thread for more help. I'm pretty much set on the Q9400. It's really good in price/performance, though I would take advice if one could find a better price/performance Xeon CPU or something in the same range.
If anyone's curious, my experience with compatibility is pretty limited and I really only know about newer hardware. I do know the performance of most hardware significantly better than I do compatibility.
With the info I've been given, will this combination work?

I understand that overclocking is very useful, but it's not absolutely needed for what I want to do. Keep that in mind if you try to help me out with the motherboard... it's nice if it does have it, but it's not needed.
EDIT: I have no idea why it says "Default" in the title. I may have gotten side tracked or something when typing it? O.o

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I'm pretty sure any RAM would work, since it's DDR3 but the CPU would just lower its speed. For the motherboard, keep looking, though it's from a brand I trust, I'm sure you can find a better one that has more features. Like a crooked CPU socket? Try to find a gigabyte or an Asus one.

this is the guide for over clocking on 775 and i had this mobo that worked well GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L but only OC to Q8400 OC@ 3.25GHz(Stable- 3.4 not stable),

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

I'm pretty sure any RAM would work, since it's DDR3 but the CPU would just lower its speed.

Because of the bus speed?

-Snipe-

Read. Not useful here. No offense, just not the place for that.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Because of the bus speed?

Read. Not useful here. No offense, just not the place for that.

Most likely, though I haven't tested it myself, you should probably ask someone who's been able to do that, but I'm positive it will because they're both DDR3 and both DIMM's and socket accept 240pin

Don't bother with LGA775. I had a Q9400 in a Dell that bottlenecked a 750 Ti. I tried doing the jumper trick to get it up to 3.xx Ghz but it wasn't stable. 

For a cheppo build you are better off looking into LGA1366 X5650.

judging from the fact that that's a Q45 chipset board (its printed near the PCIe slot), and this link (http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Q45_Express.html) I'd say the CPU is probably supported.  The ram can be dialed back to 800 if it can't get to full 1066, so I'd say you're probably good.

I will add I have no idea what the actual BIOS on the board supports, and there isn't really a way to know what BIOS version is on the particular board you end up with until you get it in hand.

Also the Intel ark page says the Q45 chipset supports both DDR2 and DDR3, from what I can find online it looks like the original lenovo system shipped with DDR3 1066, so that should be ok as well.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Don't bother with LGA775. I had a Q9400 in a Dell that bottlenecked a 750 Ti. I tried doing the jumper trick to get it up to 3.xx Ghz but it wasn't stable. 

For a cheppo build you are better off looking into LGA1366 X5650.

But the rig probably isn't for gaming.  The objective could be do build the cheapest possible quad core rig for some project.  For that goal this is a fine selection of parts.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Don't bother with LGA775. I had a Q9400 in a dell that bottlenecked a 750 Ti. I tried doing the jumper trick to get it up to 3.xx Ghz but it wasn't stable. 

I'm sure as heck not going to spend $70+ on the CPU so I may as well get the Q series considering it appears to actually be pretty similar in performance to those anyway.

Also, although I'm sure it is bottlenecked by the 750 Ti in some cases, some gameplay makes me wonder just how true that is anyway (Q6600 is generally worse in performance). I just want something that's stable when playing LoL and a couple other easy to run games. It's not primarily for gaming anyway, mostly for certain browsing... and it'd be cool to make as good of a price/performance used & new build that I could.

Most likely, though I haven't tested it myself, you should probably ask someone who's been able to do that, but I'm positive it will because they're both DDR3 and both DIMM's and socket accept 240pin

Okay, I looked up a couple other motherboards and I think (and hope) that this one's jackpot. Though I'm not sure if the previous RAM would work. This would though, right? It's actually less expensive for its capacity.

I'm sure as heck not going to spend $70+ on the CPU so I may as well get the Q series considering it appears to actually be pretty similar in performance to those anyway.

Also, although I'm sure it is bottlenecked by the 750 Ti in some cases, some gameplay makes me wonder just how true that is anyway (Q6600 is generally worse in performance). I just want something that's stable when playing LoL and a couple other easy to run games. It's not primarily for gaming anyway, mostly for certain browsing... and it'd be cool to make as good of a price/performance used & new build that I could.

Okay, I looked up a couple other motherboards and I think (and hope) that this one's jackpot. Though I'm not sure if the previous RAM would work. This would though, right? It's actually less expensive for its capacity.

Yeah that RAM looks like it would 100% work, (in my standards) However the motherboard, keep looking, try to find a non basic motherboard, if not then try to get an intel one

Also have to remember that a lot of these motherboards from OEMs like HP and Lenovo and Dell are often non-ATX form factors and won't fit in a standard case.

Yeah that RAM looks like it would 100% work, (in my standards) However the motherboard, keep looking, try to find a non basic motherboard, if not then try to get an intel one

Why? If it's for OCing, I'm not really looking for that anyway. It appears to have the appropriate FSB speed and support for 8GB of RAM with at least 4 slots, with a PCI-e x16 slot. That's really all I'm looking for. I mostly have issues finding something that's indeed compatible for all of it, but I think this is good for that.

Also have to remember that a lot of these motherboards from OEMs like HP and Lenovo and Dell are often non-ATX form factors and won't fit in a standard case.

Okay. Are all SFF motherboards the same size?

Okay. Are all SFF motherboards the same size?

I'm not sure but I'd say probably not.  The OEMs usually custom design the motherboards for their chassis design, and vice versa.  I know a bunch of older Dell models use the BTX standard, which is kind of like ATX but mirror-flipped.  That HP one looks like a BTX-type board.

I'd suggest that if you're looking at getting an OEM board like the ones you've suggested try to find the matching case as well.  They're probably pretty cheap too

-Snipe-

-Snipe-

Alright, I couldn't find the case. Got any recommendations or anything for a good motherboard for the Q9400 that's not very expensive and won't be potentially problematic (like being OEM specific sized)? It doesn't matter too much to me if it's DDR2 or DDR3. DDR2 does seem to be quite a bit more expensive for low density/non-ECC types though. I've looked at a lot of motherboards and nothing seems to fit the bill quite yet.

Alright, I couldn't find the case. Got any recommendations or anything for a good motherboard for the Q9400 that's not very expensive and won't be potentially problematic (like being OEM specific sized)? It doesn't matter too much to me if it's DDR2 or DDR3. DDR2 does seem to be quite a bit more expensive for low density/non-ECC types though. I've looked at a lot of motherboards and nothing seems to fit the bill quite yet.

This is what I came up with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Intel-DG41RQ-LGA-775-Socket-Motherboard-with-CPU-Fan-and-I-O-Shield-/231763685584?hash=item35f63130d0:g:dD4AAOSw0HVWDs4p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-DQ45CB-LGA-775-SOCKET-T-MOTHERBOARD-WITH-I-O-SHIELD/191760257742?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150604093004%26meid%3Df1a273298587412ea63f43920a448076%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231763685584&rt=nc

These are micro-ATX form factor so should be easy to find a case for them.  They also should support the Q9400

(sorry idk how to do text links and I'm too lazy to figure it out)

From what I've seen of benchmarks online an overclocked g3258 is a lot better than a Q9400. I was barely getting 60 FPS on borderlands 2 with my Q9400/750 TI OC but it wasn't stable. And one thing online videos won't let you experience is frustrating CPU bottlenecking is because you'll have wild swings in GPU utilization. Sometimes 100%, then down to 70% and back up to 90%. Because FPS increase and decease within seconds it's really disorienting.

When you say you want something stable, the mobo plays a big part in stability. I think an good aftermarket b85 motherboard would be more stable than that oem Lenovo or HP mobo. 

If I were you. I would take a trip to microcenter and get these instead. 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/446576/B85M-E-CSM_Socket_LGA_1150_B85_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/435187/G3258_32_GHz_LGA1150_Boxed_Processor

It's not primarily for gaming anyway, mostly for certain browsing....

Nice [emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

I would go Q6600 (LINK) and 1333MHz BSEL Tape mod : LINK
Cheapest 3GHz Quad Core U can buy :)

Of course, it needs a MB that supports 1333MHz FSB from the start.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

From what I've seen of benchmarks online an overclocked g3258 is a lot better than a Q9400. I was barely getting 60 FPS on borderlands 2 with my Q9400/750 TI OC but it wasn't stable.

That sounds pretty normal actually with a ~750 Ti card. My 6950 (similar in performance) was also like that (with being stable though) unless I turned on physx (which was handled by the CPU with an AMD card), which dropped much lower. From the videos I've seen, even an OC'd G3258 tends to stutter in a couple games that the Q6600 handles significantly better (being more popular than the q9400 it's easier to look up). The main two to name being GTA 5 (with recent patches) and Far Cry 4. Anyway, the main point wasn't that it performs better than the ~$65 CPU (which at times actually does), but that it's the best I can find within its price range (Not counting Xeons because I don't know those very well). If it can handle LoL, browsing, Heroes of the Storm, and Smite reasonably smoothly (something that this Pentium D 945 can't do very well), then I'm set. I also can't go to Microcenter where I live so the CPU/mobo combo (still above my price range) is out of the question.

Nice [emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

LOL that's not what I meant xD

I would go Q6600 (LINK) and 1333MHz BSEL Tape mod : LINK

Cheapest 3GHz Quad Core U can buy :)

Of course, it needs a MB that supports 1333MHz FSB from the start.

I'm mainly going for the Q9400 because of its slightly better performance for such a small price difference. I wonder if the Q9400 can be modded like that.

U know that a BSEL mod to 1333MHz, will make basicly a QX6850, from any Q6600 [G0/SLACR] - right ?

Also, Q9400 will need a 1600MHz MB native (ie. with QX9770 support), to make this mod possible.
As for performance difference :
With same clock speed and FSB, they are pretty much the same thing (performance wise).

Test at 3,21GHz with GTX 780 Ti in 3DMark (2013) :
"Q6700*" (*multi lowered to "x8" - same as Q9400, Q6600 can do this as well) - LINK vs. Q9400 - LINK.
Compare quick links : 
Fire Strike : LINK,

Cloud Gate : LINK,
Ice Storm : LINK.

All results in one link :
"Q6700" : LINK
Q9400 : LINK

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64