K in Intel CPUs - a question

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

What are the benefits in gaming that come from overclocking CPUs?

In a CPU-limited game, you will get better performance in accordance with a higher clock speed. In most games (i.e. which are GPU-limited) there will be little or no difference.

Here's the technical answer to the original question:

An i5-4460 has a base clock (BCLK) of 100 MHz, and a clock speed multiplier of 34. It derives it's frequency from 100 MHz * 34 = 3400 MHz.

In any case (K-series CPU or not) you can change the BCLK. But as described in a couple of posts that's inadvisable on a Haswell CPU because the BCLK is coupled to several other bus frequencies on the board. You'll see instabilities rather quickly. The 'K' indicates a CPU where the multiplier (the 34) can be changed. That only directly affects the CPU frequency, and so it's a lot easier to get a good, high overclock from it.

i also heard overclocking pcie lanes is bad but... why?

Because the PCIe bus has relatively low tolerance for running out of spec, and therefore it will cause instability quite quickly. You might get the BCLK up to about 105 MHz or so before you start seeing crashes.

So, from what I understand, if an Intel CPU, for example Core i5 6600K, has a K at the end of it's name, it's an unlocked procesor, meaning it's great for overclocking. But if your CPU doesn't have it (for example my CPU is Core i5 4460), what can you do with it in terms of overclocking? What exactly is unlocked in the K processors? Can someone explain it to me?

The multiplier is unlocked in CPUs. Basically, you can overclock it. Your motherboard needs the right chipset to use it though. You can't overclock non K processors as far as I know.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

K = Unlocked multiplier, on certain 1151 chipsets you can OC with certain things (Not to sure which).

You can probably change your BCLK a bit with a Locked Processor, but it CAN be bad. 

@Chairdolf_Sitler

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

The multiplier is unlocked in CPUs. Basically, you can overclock it. Your motherboard needs the right chipset to use it though.

This.

K/X (Extreme series)/C (Broadwell) = unlocked multiplier

R = Ivy (Pro) Graphics

S = binned low power chips

T = binned ULV? chips

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

it's the unlocked multiplier, makes your overclocking like a two button click

with your processor depending on the motherboard the multiplier will be limited to something like x38 or disabled completely

basically you overclock by changing the Base Clock and using a multiplier

BCLK x Mul = Your clock speed

you should still be able to overclock using the Multiplier depending on your motherboard, but it's not really recommended to do as it affects other components besides your CPU, like SATA and PCI-E devices

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Okay, so, if my CPU came to me with 3.20GHz, it's stuck like this, unless I do this BCLK overclock, whatever it is, but it's not recommended?

K series CPUs have their multipliers unlocked to allow for overclocking. Non K CPUs can be BCLK overclocked but that's much more dangerous.

but it CAN be bad. 

@Chairdolf_Sitler

i also heard overclocking pcie lanes is bad but... why? any proof?

anyway, even if overclocking is bad, you can still improve some performance with higher speed memory, especially if you buy cheapest DDR4 available. Its heatsinked anyway, and if its 1.2v, you got at least 0.35v headroom there

if you buy locked i5 its still one of best gaming processors. it will hold up, especially with DX12.

In a CPU-limited game, you will get better performance in accordance with a higher clock speed. In most games (i.e. which are GPU-limited) there will be little or no difference.

Here's the technical answer to the original question:

An i5-4460 has a base clock (BCLK) of 100 MHz, and a clock speed multiplier of 34. It derives it's frequency from 100 MHz * 34 = 3400 MHz.

In any case (K-series CPU or not) you can change the BCLK. But as described in a couple of posts that's inadvisable on a Haswell CPU because the BCLK is coupled to several other bus frequencies on the board. You'll see instabilities rather quickly. The 'K' indicates a CPU where the multiplier (the 34) can be changed. That only directly affects the CPU frequency, and so it's a lot easier to get a good, high overclock from it.

i also heard overclocking pcie lanes is bad but... why?

Because the PCIe bus has relatively low tolerance for running out of spec, and therefore it will cause instability quite quickly. You might get the BCLK up to about 105 MHz or so before you start seeing crashes.

you should still be able to overclock using the Multiplier depending on your motherboard, but it's not really recommended to do as it affects other components besides your CPU, like SATA and PCI-E devices

You do mean BCLK for the bold and underlined word, right?

Frequency (GHz) is directly proportional to performance. 50% increase in frequency gives your CPU ~50% better performance. Although, it won't make any difference if your CPU isn't the thing limiting your framerates in games in the first place.

You can't overclock non K processors as far as I know.

You can, but it's a lot more complicated and will only provide a small increase. For the tiny performance improvement you'll get, it's usually not worth your time to try.

"Rawr XD"

Okay, so, if my CPU came to me with 3.20GHz, it's stuck like this, unless I do this BCLK overclock, whatever it is, but it's not recommended?

Negligible benefits from BCLK overclocking. For your latter question; framerate, but generally a small amount with any modern CPU.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

If there is no K you can't overclock. But I believe there has been something going on with skylake so you can overclock with non-K CPUs on specific motherboards. Don't quote me though 

The more components you overclock, the harder it is to maintain stability.  When you overclock PCIe you are also overclocking things like your SATA controllers.  Overclocking that risks corrupting data and even your entire Windows install.

You do mean BCLK for the bold and underlined word, right?

precisely

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

anyway, even if overclocking is bad, you can still improve some performance with higher speed memory, especially if you buy cheapest DDR4 available. Its heatsinked anyway, and if its 1.2v, you got at least 0.35v headroom there

if you buy locked i5 its still one of best gaming processors. it will hold up, especially with DX12.

There's no point of overclocking PCI-E Lanes, since 98% of consumer products aren't PCI-E Limited...

BCLK = Base Clock, which controls several other controllers in the CPU and Chipset. If it's unstable it can have bad results.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

There's no point of overclocking PCI-E Lanes, since 98% of consumer products aren't PCI-E Limited...

BCLK = Base Clock, which controls several other controllers in the CPU and Chipset. If it's unstable it can have bad results.

alright

next time i recommend skylake proc, it will be a low end mobo with better cpu. ty