Newegg rekt another patent troll

Guest Kloaked

Original article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/patent-troll-realizes-it-sued-newegg-drops-lawsuit-the-next-day/

256px-Newegg_Logo_updated.png

If you haven't been living under a rock like some stupid starfish, you've probably heard about the handful of times Newegg has been sued by patent trolls.

Like that one time in 2014 when a company that has a name that totally doesn't remind you of another company immediately, MacroSolve (seriously who comes up with these names? It's like some cheap Chinese knock off of you know who (maybe it is (3spooky5me))): http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/newegg-and-geico-stop-patent-troll-that-sued-dozens-over-forms-on-apps/

Well today it was announced that Newegg has yet again dropped the hammer on yet another patent troll.

A shell company that sued dozens of computer peripheral makers has quickly dropped Newegg house brand Rosewill from its list of defendants. The motion to dismiss, filed yesterday, comes just days after Newegg's lawyers filed notices of their appearance in the case.

Sounds like someone got spooked since a company has a CEO with some balls.

Now for those of you that don't know, Rosewill is Newegg. Newegg is Rosewill. We clear? Ight.

So basically whenever you buy something with the name Rosewill on it, you're buying something Newegg made. But, they do rebrand things like keyboards.

u95p2tB.png

Minero Digital LLC dismissed its case against Rosewill one day after Newegg Chief Legal Officer Lee Cheng authorized his outside lawyer to try to settle the case in exchange for a "nominal donation to charity." During that conversation (the attorneys' first discussion about the case), Newegg's outside counsel said that although the proposed agreement wouldn't pay Minero anything, it was likely to be Newegg's best and final offer. He suggested Minero search the Internet for news articles about Newegg's policies on settling "patent troll" type cases. (The short version: Newegg doesn't pay patent trolls.)

This really is hilarious to me personally, that these ACTUAL patent troll companies try to go after Newegg and expect them to just pay the dues and not think about it like every other company. I have some beef with Newegg but I do have to hand it to their CEO. He's a good man.

He has balls.

The company specializes in computer peripherals like power supplies, cases, memory, and cables.

...when did memory, cases, power supplies and cables become peripherals?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Like Linus said, arstechnica has gotten weird. Or he said something like that, along those lines.

Since everyone agreed that a PC = GPU + CPU

for evidence. Visit the New builds section of this very forum and you see that litterally everything but CPU and GPU matters to those who frequently post there.

for evidence. Visit the New builds section of this very forum and you see that litterally everything but CPU and GPU matters to those who frequently post there.

Sorry but what does that have to do with arstechnica saying peripherals = case, psu, etc?

Wha...?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

those squarespace additions are fucking amazing. i love it. its been a while since ive enjoyed the news posted here. keep it up. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

those squarespace additions are fucking amazing. i love it. its been a while since ive enjoyed the news posted here. keep it up. 

I'm about to edit my posts and add in a proper ad since it's hard to post on my phone.

gimme 5

EDIT: All done @brownninja97. enjoy.

My high school and university taught me that too. They are formally called peripherals, but we just don't call them peripherals in day-to-day situations.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

My high school and university taught me that too. They are formally called peripherals, but we just don't call them peripherals in day-to-day situations.

The insides and the case of a desktop PC have never been peripherals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral

Only the ram is actually communicating with the cpu, so even if that could be considered a peripheral the other two can't.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The insides and the case of a desktop PC have never been peripherals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral

Oh ok, I thought we would be including integrated peripherals. 

EDIT: 

Only the ram is actually communicating with the cpu, so even if that could be considered a peripheral the other two can't.

Though wouldn't the PC case be considered a peripheral as it has a power button, reset button and inputs for external devices?

Just a curious question.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Oh ok, I thought we would be including integrated peripherals. 

EDIT: 

Though wouldn't the PC case be considered a peripheral as it has a power button, reset button and inputs for external devices?

Just a curious question.

Peripherals are in layman's terms just extensions of the PC.

Like in the link I quoted to you, any device other than what makes up the PC itself that sends or receives information from the PC is a peripheral.

@brownninja97 now I see why you guys who actually posted tech news and made it interesting to read quit posting.

Every company should have the same policy against patent trolls, good job newegg

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

@brownninja97 now I see why you guys who actually posted tech news and made it interesting to read quit posting.

well it was partly the community and partly being a programmer taking up so much time. I really miss those days but i dont have teh time anymore.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1