What is school like in America?

Overkilled

Living in Britain ice always wondered about the parallel universe that is the American high school? Is there any actual order (school uniform, formal black shoes etc), how long is the school day?

Can anyone from the US clarify?

Living in Britain ice always wondered about the parallel universe that is the American high school? Is there any actual order (school uniform, formal black shoes etc), how long is the school day?

Can anyone from the US clarify?

It's probably just as diverse as schools in the UK, where some schools do not require a uniform, others do.  The school hours are the typical hours, but there are some that might have slightly different hours in special cases.  The duration of classes can also depend in some special cases.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

What's the general atmosphere like in American schools?

Depends on where you live and the school district.  I'm fortunate to have gone to one of the top 10 schools in Manhattan when I was a kid growing up in New York, and did highschool in a private school.

If you're in a poor district or a school district with problematic communities, it may appear as if the schools are bad.  But don't let that fool you, there are students who are eager to get a better education and teachers willing to teach.. but they are being limited by the poor funding and support they receive.  And on the opposite spectrum in the richer school districts and communities there might be teachers who are there only for the money and students who think they can live off their parents' money.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

There you don't even have to go to school.

Freedom yaay...

Umm....

1. Most schools don't have a uniform. Just a dress code that no one follows

2. 8 am to 3 pm(15), so 7 hours

3pm? Jesus Christ. UK schools are usually 3:45

I don't know if I should think that's a bad thing or a good thing.

Halden-Prison_1634893c.jpg

Could be worse.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Umm....

3pm? Jesus Christ. UK schools are usually 3:45

8:45 to 3pm for me only like 30 minute break and lunch tho

I have wondered the same as OP so good thread.

I was wondering, what are the school lunches like? Also are there more fights and riots than in British schools? 

I go to a grammar school so riots are at a minimum and food is decent (albeit a big expensive).

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

^

Basically the tl;dr

I have wondered the same as OP so good thread.

I was wondering, what are the school lunches like? Also are there more fights and riots than in British schools? 

I go to a grammar school so riots are at a minimum and food is decent (albeit a big expensive).Schoo

In my town at least which is overrun by rich white people who like to be pc about every detail the schools are all about healthy food. In high school I only saw 1 fight which was started by these kids who commute to our school from the ghetto in Boston. They started to yell the n word and how much better they were than everybody.  

It depends on the area. You got your nice neighbor hood, with your nice schools that are all happy go lucky. Then you have the slums and poorer areas and everythings shit. That's where I live. 7:30-2:30. Its terrible for kind hearted people, ruthless people somewhat thrive but if you want to test some manipulation skills ( you dirty bastard) this is the place since most of the influential people here are dumb as shit.

Then there are homeschoolers, who get picked on for not socializing. But what do you get in trouble for doing at school? Socializing xD it's a pet peeve of mine

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

It's pretty diverse, interesting, and easy going. Unless you live in those special places where there's just a bunch of rednecks that wear camo and treat hunting as if it were the holy grail

I went to a grammar school in the UK too, and got straight B's at my GCSEs, and straight Cs at A Levels, and those were like the lowest grades in the top classes. It only made me feel dumb.

Linus is my fetish.

Typically only private schools require a uniform, which I love because I attend a public school. Right now my school starts at 8am and goes until 2:05pm, so about 6 hours (unless you take a seventh period, which would add another 1.5 hours). In terms of atmosphere, everyone is pretty nice, though that might just be my school because everyone is fake as f**k. I've found that in a lot of movies and shows about high school, they all depict the football players and cheerleaders as bullies or backstabbing meany-butts, though the only people that give me shit are the people I am around daily. That's just my school, where everyone is the son or daughter of some executive at a large tech company (i.e. Intel or Corsair). My hometown is literally called "the bubble" by surrounding cities because we don't have stabbings or other violent crimes, and when something does happen, it's quickly swept away because all of the plastic mocha-drinking Range Rover driving stay-at-home moms cry about it for a week or two then forget about it and it's back to Yoga or pilates (is there a difference?). Someday I would like to check out another school in a not as rich area to see what it's like. Rant over.

Don't trust me with sharp things.

My school is 7:30AM to 2:19PM. Also sometimes the dress codes have bullshit things as in I cannot wear something that shows a part of my shoulder. Even if it is a tanktop for gym class. Also my school doesn't allow clapping in lunch because apparently it is disturbing nearby classes when the lunchroom is far from classrooms, and I'm not allowed to juggle unless I want a suspension for a week. :/

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.