My PC is not cooperating... or working.

Chodzik

So, my PC just decided it wanted to not work almost at all and just keep crashing. I constantly get the BSOD (blue screen of death for those of you who don't know) with different error messages, the most common being CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION. Along with other messages I can't figure out what's wrong.

This is generally a corruption of the kernel, normally caused by a installed driver modifying a part of the kernel somehow. Did you install any drivers recently?

Anyway, your kernel is corrupt. You may want to try reinstalling windows, as there is not really a fix for CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION besides reinstalling.

Spoiler

My system specs: Intel Core i5 8600K (5ghz Overclocked) CPU - ASUS Strix Z370-I Motherboard - Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition GPU 

Corsair H55 Water Cooler - 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM

"People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do" - Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.

RIP OS install, reinstall your OS is the only thing i can think off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This is generally a corruption of the kernel, normally caused by a installed driver modifying a part of the kernel somehow. Did you install any drivers recently?

Anyway, your kernel is corrupt. You may want to try reinstalling windows, as there is not really a fix for CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION besides reinstalling.

Could perhaps be memory failure, but i would also recommend a fresh re-install of windows as a first step.

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

i second this BUT i have seen computer with bad memory produce this error. Run memtest86 and make sure your memory is ok. Specialy  if a reinstall doess not correct the problem.

Edit: Pepsi28 beat me to the punch

I didn't install any drivers recently, but what would be the best way of reintalling windows

I didn't install any drivers recently, but what would be the best way of reintalling windows

here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0KFR09Svc

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

Here are some ways to reinstall Windows 10 (because thats what I assume you are on) http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

I would recommend using another computer to create a boot CD as shown in the first step on the website, then using that disk in the broken computer to reinstall.

Spoiler

My system specs: Intel Core i5 8600K (5ghz Overclocked) CPU - ASUS Strix Z370-I Motherboard - Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition GPU 

Corsair H55 Water Cooler - 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM

"People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do" - Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.

If you cannot boot into your OS at all you will have to reinstall using your disk or bootable usb that you used to initially install windows.

So, my PC just decided it wanted to not work almost at all and just keep crashing. I constantly get the BSOD (blue screen of death for those of you who don't know) with different error messages, the most common being CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION. Along with other messages I can't figure out what's wrong.

If you can boot to Safe Mode or the recovery environment, there may be some repair options. But an OS reinstall will be the easy way out, so to speak. Do you care about anything on the unit? Programs, data, etc.

What OS is it? Windows 7, 8.1, 10...?

If you can boot to Safe Mode or the recovery environment, there may be some repair options. But an OS reinstall will be the easy way out, so to speak. Do you care about anything on the unit? Programs, data, etc.

What OS is it? Windows 7, 8.1, 10...?

It's 8.1, but does it clear my hard drive or something?

It's 8.1, but does it clear my hard drive or something?

Yes, reinstalling Windows will format your hard drive and you will lose anything there. If that's ok, then a reinstall of the OS may fix this. I would agree with earlier statements that you ought to run some hardware checks. Memtest is free and easy. Windows memory diagnostic is good, too. Even if those pass, though, keep in mind this may indicate a motherboard failure. (Memory controller or RAM connectors, for example.) I would strongly recommend seeing if the failure occurs in Safe Mode as well as normal mode.

Once you can confirm the RAM is good, you can attempt to repair the OS or just run an OS reset.

If you have questions on anything I've said, let me know.

Yes, reinstalling Windows will format your hard drive and you will lose anything there. If that's ok, then a reinstall of the OS may fix this. I would agree with earlier statements that you ought to run some hardware checks. Memtest is free and easy. Windows memory diagnostic is good, too. Even if those pass, though, keep in mind this may indicate a motherboard failure. (Memory controller or RAM connectors, for example.) I would strongly recommend seeing if the failure occurs in Safe Mode as well as normal mode.

Once you can confirm the RAM is good, you can attempt to repair the OS or just run an OS reset.

If you have questions on anything I've said, let me know.

so I'm trying to do the memtest but I can't get to my bios to do the boot, how do i do this

so I'm trying to do the memtest but I can't get to my bios to do the boot, how do i do this

There will be function keys for your BIOS to get to a boot option list. I will not know how to get there without knowing your motherboard.

However, in Windows 8.1, there is a way to boot to a different device as a one-time thing. Inside Windows, press the Windows key + R, and in the run prompt, type this, then press enter:

shutdown /r /o /t 0

It will reboot your computer to some advanced boot options. Click "Troubleshoot," "Advanced Options," and look for something similar to "Use a device." Click it, and look for whatever you put memtest on (I would assume a flash drive?).

If you can't even log in to Windows, the instructions will be a bit different. Let me know.

There will be function keys for your BIOS to get to a boot option list. I will not know how to get there without knowing your motherboard.

However, in Windows 8.1, there is a way to boot to a different device as a one-time thing. Inside Windows, press the Windows key + R, and in the run prompt, type this, then press enter:

shutdown /r /o /t 0

It will reboot your computer to some advanced boot options. Click "Troubleshoot," "Advanced Options," and look for something similar to "Use a device." Click it, and look for whatever you put memtest on (I would assume a flash drive?).

If you can't even log in to Windows, the instructions will be a bit different. Let me know.

So I reinstalled windows but it did crash again. This time giving PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

So I reinstalled windows but it did crash again. This time giving PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Run Memtest

shutdown /r /o /t 0

So I ran memtest and there were about 250 errors.

So I ran memtest and there were about 250 errors.

Just as i initially suspected, thankfully memory is pretty cheap. Depenind on how many sticks you have, you could try to rum the system one stick at a time, and run the memtest to find the faulty memory. Then simply replace it with a new stick, or remove it from your system and run without it.