HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

jos

:P AFAIK you can actually output 4K video but games will just be upscaled from 720p/1080p. so hey, it should be possible to get good FPS on a 4K TV... 

upscaling is essentially taking an imagine putting it in paint and stretching it to w/e resolution correct? Those graphics are going to look H O R R I B L E if so.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

upscaling is essentially taking an imagine putting it in paint and stretching it to w/e resolution correct? Those graphics are going to look H O R R I B L E if so.

Yeah but actually 1080p upscales perfectly to 4K since it's exactly 1:4 so you'd get the same quality you'd get with a 1080p TV of the same size.

HI Linus

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Bandwidth won't be enough for more services via HDMI.. The have to optimise the available channel during each versions .. like the keying process, Information coding technique used.. and exploiting other  properties of the channel and protocols used to implement the communication should also be improved.. It is not an easy task to improve... it is not like adding more feature to phones... These are core techniques in communication... which can't be developed as fast as the other techs... even development required for google glass will be minimal compared to these development... see the gap it took from wireless n to ac... these are all development in basic communication... and will take significant time to develop.... the reason why they are releasing the updates constantly than producing one big release is just cat and mouse chase typically. HDMI also provides other services through the connection unlike other display technology. which limits the bandwidth available for the display unit. For this reason and for the DRM implementation HDMI will not go away..

Bandwidth won't be enough for more services via HDMI.. The have to optimise the available channel during each versions .. like the keying process, Information coding technique used.. and exploiting other  properties of the channel and protocols used to implement the communication should also be improved.. It is not an easy task to improve... it is not like adding more feature to phones... These are core techniques in communication... which can't be developed as fast as the other techs... even development required for google glass will be minimal compared to these development... see the gap it took from wireless n to ac... these are all development in basic communication... and will take significant time to develop.... the reason why they are releasing the updates constantly than producing one big release is just cat and mouse chase typically. HDMI also provides other services through the connection unlike other display technology. which limits the bandwidth available for the display unit. For this reason and for the DRM implementation HDMI will not go away..

Yep! HDPC and CEC. 

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Yes I expect to play 4K and 8K soon @ 60 FPS...

I heard with cloud compute power that the xbox one has we'll be able to play @ 120 FPS

But in reality , is anyone really hyped for 4k? , its taken a decade just to get a decent amount of 720P/1080P movie/tv content. and the difference between 720p and 1080P on a TV is difficult to notice outside 40 inch or higher.

I heard with cloud compute power that the xbox one has we'll be able to play @ 120 FPS

But in reality , is anyone really hyped for 4k? , its taken a decade just to get a decent amount of 720P/1080P movie/tv content. and the difference between 720p and 1080P on a TV is difficult to notice outside 40 inch or higher.

it's a big difference on monitors though, must just be since we're so much closer :3

but ye.. once 4k tv's become more popular, how long is it gonna take for programming to be readily available all the time for them :/ 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

but ye.. once 4k tv's become more popular, how long is it gonna take for programming to be readily available all the time for them :/ 

We don't even have FHD (1080p) programming yet! :( 

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]