GPU POWER CABLE TOUCHING GPU HEAT PIPE

ralphkleinguevarra

So I was wondering if this is just okay... My power cable is almost touching the heat pipes of my Asus GTX 970 Strix. Is this a serious issue?

12592051_1261867753829523_847073305_o.jp

Shouldn't be unless you're hitting some serious temperatures

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So I was wondering if this is just okay... My power cable is almost touching the heat pipes of my Asus GTX 970 Strix. Is this a serious issue?

-PIC-

While it does get hot it will be fine, it won't get hot enough to melt anything. 

BTW Welcome to the Forums!

Edited by W-L

its fine. the cable insulation are rated above temps that should be anywhere in ur pc.

snip

Normal psu cables(polypropylene insulation) are rated at 80°C, this is not the outer surface temperature limit, its just the insulation temperature rating. The ampacity of the wire will change and will no longer be in spec if the wire inside gets to 80c.

The material melting point is 130c.

So its not like if the heatpipe is like 81c its gonna melt or go kaboom. its not that simple. the thermal resistance of the polypropylene insulation is significantly higher than that of the heatpipe. mix that together with the radiation/dissipation from the insulation surface, you wont get much of a firework. The surface temperature might be higher than 80c, but the wire itself wont be.

if you wrap the wire nicly around the heatpipe, turn off the gpu fans, max load the gpu, maybe if you are lucky that ur psu doesnt scream or cut off as the wire attempts to approach 130c, it will start to deform. as you are increasing resistance and also supplying heat from outside. but in reality , nothing will happen as well. 

i would love to conduct an experiment tho. just putting it out there hoping some will find this fact useful.

While it does get hot it will be fine, it won't get hot enough to melt anything. 

BTW Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks! I sought help around the internet and this forum is the fastest to respond! That's why I love LTT community.  ;)  ;)  ;)