i7 4790K OC to 4.2Ghz make any noticeable difference?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

1.) Temperatures will increase.

2.) I don't think so.

3.) It might, but not by much.

4.) Since you're only increasing the clock by 200MHz, not much effort. Probably just a "dial in 42 multiplier" deal.

5.) Reference above.

I need to know the basics of the above overclock:

1. Will it make a difference in temps?

2. Do I need to increase voltage?

3. Will it decrease life expectancy of the chip? (if so, by how many months/years?)

4. Is there enough of a difference in gaming to justify the effort needed to OC?

5. Is there enough of a difference in editing to justify the effort needed to OC?

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

you will not need to increase voltage i think, i got mine up to 4.2 without adding any voltage.

(stock voltage is 1.088 V)

it's just tapping the up button on your keyboard twice and voila free performance, it's worth it imo

and it will not degrade your cpu any faster

1. No, only if you need to bump up the voltage

2. Probably not, the silicon lottery decides though

3. No

4. it's a 5% overclock for free, and it doesn't take much effort (<5mins)

5. it's a 5% overclock for free, and it doesn't take much effort (<5mins)

1.) Temperatures will increase.

2.) I don't think so.

3.) It might, but not by much.

4.) Since you're only increasing the clock by 200MHz, not much effort. Probably just a "dial in 42 multiplier" deal.

5.) Reference above.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3. Will it decrease life expectancy of the chip? (if so, by how many months/years?)

4. Is there enough of a difference in gaming to justify the effort needed to OC?

5. Is there enough of a difference in editing to justify the effort needed to OC?

1. Under load, yes.

2. Depends on your specific chip and how well you did in the silicon lottery. There's no way we can tell you a definite answer.

3. Yes, but not really by an amount that you'll notice. OC'd or not, the chip will last longer than you need it to.

4. By 200MHz, not really.

5. By 200MHz, not really.

"Rawr XD"

~snip~

Thank you c:

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

1. depends on the silicon lottery

depends on the silicon lottery

depends on the voltage/heat abuse

in some games the extra CPU speed can make a difference

prolly no in editing, but rendering it could if a larger speed gain was made.

1) Yes.  But not much.  If you have an aftermarket cooler, you should be fine.

2) You might, you might not.  It's all about silicon lottery.  Chances are you'll be able to go above 4.5Ghz anyways.

3) Yes but you'll probably stop using the chip before it dies.

4) You can probably squeeze a few more FPS out of the chip if you do a major overclock but it depends on the game.  Since you're only increasinng by .2Ghz, It won't do much.

5) Same as the gaming question.  You'll need a bigger OC to notice a difference.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

1. Unlikely as you can probably reach 4.2 with the voltage you currently have. Temp scaling due to clock alone is minuscule (nearly non-existant for low tdp chips).

2. Maybe, every chip is different.

3. No, not unless you're throwing 1.4v+ at it and have it pinned at 90C

4. Yes, depending on the game

5. Yes

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes (rule of thumb is 3.1416 days for every 100MHz)

4) No

5) Yes

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

you can easily get that chip up to 4.8 ghz on the core. read my oc guide. link below.

BigDay

I'm not sure why nobody has pointed out yet but...to your title. You have no need to "OC" to 4.2. It's stock turbo boosts all core up to 4.4.

4.2 what? the boost is 4.4. uhhh

Intel advertises the boost as working fully on one core. Some motherboards may enable the ability to have the turbo function on all four cores, but I do not consider it to be guaranteed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Intel advertises the boost as working fully on one core. Some motherboards may enable the ability to have the turbo function on all four cores, but I do not consider it to be guaranteed.

Msi Z97s Sli Krait. Would it be able to boost all four cores to 4.4?

Msi Z97s Sli Krait. Would it be able to boost all four cores to 4.4?

That's dependent on the CPU as well. You can try overclocking the CPU to 4.4GHz, but as far as the motherboard is concerned, I cannot answer that question.

That's dependent on the CPU as well. You can try overclocking the CPU to 4.4GHz, but as far as the motherboard is concerned, I cannot answer that question.

Okei. Thanks for the help 8)