Is the part of my GPU below the output ports supposed to go between the mobo and case?

I have an MSI 980ti Gaming 6G and my case is an S340. Neither manual was helpful with this: are the "prongs" at the bottom of the HDMI/VGA/DisplayPort outputs supposed to go between the motherboard and case? It feels wrong but I haven't figured out if it is.

Edit: Thank you guys so much! :D I couldn't find anything about this online but I got answers here instantly.

Also, if I dropped the GPU on the mobo (like lightly, not a drop but more of a very slight fall) could it damage anything? It was really light, it fell like 2 inches.

If i understand you correctly, yes, there will be a small gap between the motherboard and case this slides into.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I think so, yes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

yes

they do not go outside the case

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes

they do not go outside the case

Awesome, thank you. Since you have my case (S340), how hard was it for you to install the screws to hold the GPU in place? Mine are a pain.

Awesome, thank you. Since you have my case (S340), how hard was it for you to install the screws to hold the GPU in place? Mine are a pain.

easy, because i used a screw driver and i always make sure the thread is lined up correctly before screwing it in

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

easy, because i used a screw driver and i always make sure the thread is lined up correctly before screwing it in

Oh okay. Mine might be lined up a little off, thank you.

Oh I'm dumb, an IO port cover was still on, that is probably causing the issue. Do you think I can remove it if it's poking outside the io shield, or do I have to remove the mobo and put it on again?

Oh I'm dumb, an IO port cover was still on, that is probably causing the issue. Do you think I can remove it if it's poking outside the io shield, or do I have to remove the mobo and put it on again?

IO on the motherboard or GPU

you should be able to take it out without removing any parts...

Spoiler

IO on the motherboard or GPU

you should be able to take it out without removing any parts...

Mobo I/O port cover. I want to use leverage from a butter knife or something similar to get it out.