ECC vs non-ECC

RuLeZ
Go to solution Solved by Fetzie,

There is pretty much no disadvantages. Other then having to use a Xeon or specific i3(i don't know which amd cpus support it). Also for the most part the cost is pretty much the same. At least last time I looked. And if you care about looks you certainly can't get gamer swag ECC.

But yeah don't bother getting ECC for what you are doing.

Xeon (Intel) or Opteron (AMD) support ECC.

Disadvantages: ECC RAM is more expensive, it is slower, the motherboards are more expensive (from Skylake onwards you need either a C2xx or C6xx chipset) and the CPUs can't be overclocked.

Advantages: It won't stop a file getting corrupted in storage, but the file won't get corrupted while it is in RAM. You can also have more memory, with some DDR4 ECC RAM coming in 32GB sticks.

Guys, is there any advantaged for a gamer ECC memory? Would be harder to the computer to BSOD and corrupt files on the computer? Or it just matter to larger servers? One more question, is there any disadvantages for ECC excluding the extra cost?

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Guys, is there any advantaged for a gamer ECC memory? Would be harder to the computer to BSOD and corrupt files on the computer? Or it just matter to larger servers? One more question, is there any disadvantages for ECC excluding the extra cost?

for gaming, no

second question, yes but not noticeably

only in large servers and massive content creation does it matter

but no, no disadvantages

It'll correct errors as it goes but it will barely help with corrupt files and such, that's more on the Hardrive file system, ECC memory is mainly used in servers where failure needs to be almost non existent, I would stick to regular memory for a gaming build.

There's one small disadvantage, depending on the quality of the kit. They're usually one tick slower to respond.

ECC helps prevent errors in pretty much all workloads which is especially important in servers that require 24/7 uptime. ECC RAM also tends to have higher densities per DIMM like the 32GB DIMMs that were used in the 7 gamers 1 CPU build. Other than that, there are no benefits and certainly none that will be seen in a consumer workload. 

So yeah, don't bother with ECC

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

There is pretty much no disadvantages. Other then having to use a Xeon or specific i3(i don't know which amd cpus support it). Also for the most part the cost is pretty much the same. At least last time I looked. And if you care about looks you certainly can't get gamer swag ECC.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Xeon (Intel) or Opteron (AMD) support ECC.

Disadvantages: ECC RAM is more expensive, it is slower, the motherboards are more expensive (from Skylake onwards you need either a C2xx or C6xx chipset) and the CPUs can't be overclocked.

Advantages: It won't stop a file getting corrupted in storage, but the file won't get corrupted while it is in RAM. You can also have more memory, with some DDR4 ECC RAM coming in 32GB sticks.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II