Is this a good idea?

asim1999

Well let me get started ny saying that i am doing it for charity. This is both due to the passing of a close friend of mine who was my GCSE French mentor due to brain cancer and the initiative of my old history teacher (now deputy head) for charity. I am going to tell her about this idea of mine.

Basically, i plan to build two rigs. One will be given away via school raffle (100% will go to charity and we will make a substantial amount due to 800+ pupils in the school), and the second as a permanent protein folding machine for brain cancer calculations to honour my friend.

I was thinking i might do something to do with computers, and this thought only dawned on my this morning.

Should i contact people to get parts and help with the project or is this a stupid idea?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Hell yeah, why not? Looks sweet.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Hell yeah, why not? Looks sweet.

But who should i contact? i will feel bad if something isnt done due to responsibility from the deputy head and the tragic passing of a close friend 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

It's a good idea if you have a good plan to get everything paid for or donated beforehand.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Well let me get started ny saying that i am doing it for charity. This is both due to the passing of a close friend of mine who was my GCSE French mentor due to brain cancer and the initiative of my old history teacher (now deputy head) for charity. I am going to tell her about this idea of mine.

Basically, i plan to build two rigs. One will be given away via school raffle (100% will go to charity and we will make a substantial amount due to 800+ pupils in the school), and the second as a permanent protein folding machine for brain cancer calculations to honour my friend.

I was thinking i might do something to do with computers, and this thought only dawned on my this morning.

Should i contact people to get parts and help with the project or is this a stupid idea?

I think it's an awesome idea, and you should definitely reach out for donated equipment.  But, as mentioned above, have a plan for full funding before you get too far ahead of yourself.  I'd hate to see it die on the vine and add to the gloom already associated with their passing.

Ok first off you have to know that you won't anywhere close to your money back but it is for an amazing cause. I suggest that you tall to as many people as possible and find out a way to make a really amazing folding PC

And if i create a folding team for brain cancer, will you guys join it?

But who should i contact? i will feel bad if something isnt done due to responsibility from the deputy head and the tragic passing of a close friend

Try contacting everyone. Make a video and put on all the social medias and call Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and any other company like hyperx, Logitech, or even CORSAIR for parts or to see if they can just sponsor for you.

MSI

Gigabyte

Corsair

Kingston

Intel

AMD

NVidia

Asus

Acer

Coolermaster

Noctua

WD

Seagate

Samsung

EVGA

LG

Come up with a proposal to send to them all explaining briefly about your situation. I'm sure some of them would like to help

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

no man you can just ask it if they dont want it i think they wont just do it i mean you have a no and you can get a yes

sure , if i can get my gpu to work for compute...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Not sure if i should use Maxwell cards or wait for Pascal before doing this...

I would. Once I get my computer back. Because whilst I'm at school for 8 hours a day, it's just sitting there doing nothing.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

I would. Once I get my computer back. Because whilst I'm at school for 8 hours a day, it's just sitting there doing nothing.

once you get your PC back? did someone take it?

MSI

Gigabyte

Corsair

Kingston

Intel

AMD

NVidia

Asus

Acer

Coolermaster

Noctua

WD

Seagate

Samsung

EVGA

LG

Come up with a proposal to send to them all explaining briefly about your situation. I'm sure some of them would like to help

If you or someone can send me all the appropriate emails, i might CC the message to them all. Thanks 

once you get your PC back? did someone take it?

My mother felt that she should take it because I did better in my school classes than I did last year. (Mom logic right?)

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

If you only send one email, I would BCC them all, but I would write personalized emails. They could all say the same thing, but "Dear Intel, etc etc etc."

EVGA

I just googled EVGA Support, went to the support page and got those emails. All of them are @Evga.com

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

If you only send one email, I would BCC them all, but I would write personalized emails. They could all say the same thing, but "Dear Intel, etc etc etc."

EVGA

I just googled EVGA Support, went to the support page and got those emails. All of them are @Evga.com

should i get Linus in on this one? Someone PMed me and said. How about we all PM him and link to this thread to raise awareness as this is my penultimate year in highschool and i want it to be remembered 

should i get Linus in on this one? Someone PMed me and said. How about we all PM him and link to this thread to raise awareness as this is my penultimate year in highschool and i want it to be remembered 

It couldn't hurt. Maybe he'd do another live build with mismatched GPUs, or throw in some LTT fans

Not sure if i should use Maxwell cards or wait for Pascal before doing this...

Just out of curiosity, why NVIDIA? Have you even considered AMD cards? They tend to have better GFLOPS for GPGPU (Not always of course, but do your research to properly compare equivalent cards).

As for getting sponsorship - I'm going to be honest, you probably won't get the major companies to sponsor you (AMD, EVGA, Intel, etc). It'll be awesome if they do, and you SHOULD ask them, but I wouldn't count on that.

What I would propose instead, is contacting local custom PC Shops, local brick and mortar electronics stores (Best Buy, MicroCenter, NCIX, whatever is local to you), etc. Local is better, because you can put a face on your charity - tell them about the boy who died, that he was a local person, hell they might even know him.

Be sure to write a DETAILED proposal that you will give to each potential sponsor. Include a full list of components, broken down and priced, for each system, and include justifications for each choice.

Also, it's a good idea to propose several different "tiers" (Eg: If I raise $800, I will build system A; $1200, System B; $1500, System C, etc) for each system.

Also reach out to other local businesses that aren't PC shops - they might just give you cash sponsorship to help buy parts.

Finally, OFFER SOMETHING IN RETURN, in this case, advertisement on the PC Case itself I would suggest (All sponsors can put their logo on the case, etc).

Also, contact the local newspaper/Radio/News TV Channel, and let them know you intend to do this build, and ask them if they can guarantee a story if you get sponsorship - if they say yes, then use that to help get sponsors onboard - tell them that the local media will do a story on it, and you'll mention their name in the story.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you want Linus to be involved, I would suggest the following:

1. DO NOT HAVE EVERYONE SPAM HIS MESSAGE INBOX! That's a sure way to get him to hate you because you're super damn annoying.

2. Message him yourself. I would also message Nick and Luke, since they both frequent the forums - Nick is probably the best contact on here for responding.

3. Be professional. Have your proposal ALREADY MADE. Give him every detail. Ask him to help sponsor some of it (Maybe donate parts), but give him the option to sponsor the whole thing if he wants.

4. If he says no, don't take it personally. He likely gets dozens or hundreds of requests for sponsorship for builds.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

no man you can just ask it if they dont want it i think they wont just do it i mean you have a no and you can get a yes

I'd recommend talking to local computer stores. You're more likely to get a positive response there than from a faceless offshore corporation that has NO idea about the cause or the truth of it.

What I would propose instead, is contacting local custom PC Shops, local brick and mortar electronics stores (Best Buy, MicroCenter, NCIX, whatever is local to you), etc. Local is better, because you can put a face on your charity - tell them about the boy who died, that he was a local person, hell they might even know him.

Be sure to write a DETAILED proposal that you will give to each potential sponsor. Include a full list of components, broken down and priced, for each system, and include justifications for each choice.

Also, it's a good idea to propose several different "tiers" (Eg: If I raise $800, I will build system A; $1200, System B; $1500, System C, etc) for each system.

Also reach out to other local businesses that aren't PC shops - they might just give you cash sponsorship to help buy parts.

Also, contact the local newspaper/Radio/News TV Channel, and let them know you intend to do this build, and ask them if they can guarantee a story if you get sponsorship - if they say yes, then use that to help get sponsors onboard - tell them that the local media will do a story on it, and you'll mention their name in the story.

Emphasis mine, but I completely agree with these.

Have maybe a spreadsheet of parts with like "Need, want, would like, stretch"

I need a 350w PSU, I want a 450 semi modular, would like Corsair 550 fully modular etc.

I'd do that with all the parts and the various systems you hope to make.

If i write a draft of the letter i will send to the companies can you guys read it over?