Taking up a job in tech?

Derpologist

Alright so quick background:

I'm less than 16 (almost, about a month) year old Freshman (dont hate lol), who is known in my area (at school and out of school) for being very technological and very attuned to computer repair, building, and consulting. I have background in audio equipment and digital music work as well. 

A friend of mine is currently a senior, and works at a local computer store in town (a 5 minute walk from my school, and about a 20 minute walk from my house), and sent me a message the other day asking if I would like to work there in the future. He will be going off to college later this year, so his boss needs another assistant, so Ryan (my friend) suggested me to him. Ryan asked me if I would like to, and I said definitely, so he said he will contact his boss to talk more with me. 

I would be interning for a month to show the boss what I can do, and then after that (will be 15, can get my permit in Maine by then), can start working a paid job. 

Ryan says they dont do much building (if any), but they do repairs, replacements, selling, fixing, etc. 

So now for my question: 

What should I do?

Should I prepare a list of recommendations from people that I have built PCs for?

Should I write up my resume (I know I'll have to at some point)?

Should I negotiate anything?

Thanks!

EDIT: Should I put that I'm an avid forum contributor on here (helping others etc)

Should I expect to get discounts or cheaper deals on parts for personal projects?

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

I work for an IT contractor and To be honest I like it but It has taken the fun out of doing computer stuff at home for myself :(

And honestly they wont really ask about the PC's you have built or anything just how many you have built etc..
You NEED a resume in the real world! Some places wont even consider you if you don't have one
And negotiate your PAY that is one thing I regret not doing

Should I prepare a list of recommendations from people that I have built PCs for?

Definitely, it really couldn’t hurt.

Absolutely. A list of skills and capabilities are very important, he’ll want to see that for sure.

If it were me I’d dress to impress in hopes of shortening my internship, so I suggest you go above and beyond and do the same. It’s more money for you sooner, right? I wouldn’t try to do any negotiations that are out of his favour tbh. Too risky.

Alrighty, this is similar to what I was thinking. Thanks so much!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

I edited the last part slightly, do take note. :)

I did. Thanks!

i think you'd be better off just taking in some pictures of the work you've done, and sum it up in short. a company doesnt have much of a message in gertrude from down the street being happy with the computer you built for her.

come in as prepared and professional as you can, whatever that means in your culture. even if its only to show a token of your maturity, if he's gonna be paying you like a real employee, you should be coming in like someone thats ready to be a real employee.

i'd suggest to stay away from this one. any company should be open to employee suggestions but its mostly just the boss that decides what goes on. just make sure he's not gonna let you to the horrible jobs like scraping out cigar smoke filled machines for below minimum wage and from there on just try to fit in.

just make sure he's not gonna let you to the horrible jobs like scraping out cigar smoke filled machines for below minimum wage and from there on just try to fit in.

lol, good to know.

I'm interested to see what nightmares I'll find xD

lol, good to know.

I'm interested to see what nightmares I'll find xD

one of my "dumpster diving" sources is a local company that asks me if i want some old junk each time they have stuff to throw away. (dumpster diving is illegal here, so thats the way its done)

i've had a case where the thing was literally a solid block of dust inside.

one of my "dumpster diving" sources is a local company that asks me if i want some old junk each time they have stuff to throw away. (dumpster diving is illegal here, so thats the way its done)

i've had a case where the thing was literally a solid block of dust inside.

holy shit...

I'm pretty anal retentive of dust and cable management so hopefully that will be helpful in the future

and for christ's sakes, put some decent fans in the case lol

holy shit...

I'm pretty anal retentive of dust and cable management so hopefully that will be helpful in the future

and for christ's sakes, put some decent fans in the case lol

it was smaller than linus' insane compact nas, and dat OEM cable management.

the only way the pentium 4 inside was kept cool was by having all fans cranked all the way up, even with a clean system...

it was smaller than linus' insane compact nas, and dat OEM cable management.

the only way the pentium 4 inside was kept cool was by having all fans cranked all the way up, even with a clean system...

lol, that's nuts. 

I personally have a very strong feeling against:

Bad CPU coolers (get some good ones pleaseeee)

No fans

Bad PSUs

that's pretty much it, hopefully is good in their eyes

What should I do?

You should take the job and since you seem quite industrious you should do well.

Should I put that I'm an avid forum contributor on here (helping others etc)

Yes to these. You should get started on your CV asap and you can only work with what you've got right now. In your context I would say that; recommendations will count in place of references and forum contribution (amongst other things) will count in place of experience.

Yes absolutely - this being the money... you do a job you get paid... it is that simple. What you don't do is get the piss taken out of you by not getting paid for a month and having it excused as an internship. Though I'm not sure how it works in your part of the world one would generally expect to receive a contract that protected both parties and possibly contained a probationary period. However this would still be paid, the only difference being notice periods. Otherwise if it's a more simple form of employment then you still expect money for your time...

I worked from the sweet age of 11 onwards and was paid for it (cash in hand obviously)... so why the hell shouldn't you?

Should I expect to get discounts or cheaper deals on parts for personal projects?

Again not being sure of the specific rules in your part of the world one would generally expect to be able to make purchases through the business (if amenable of course) i.e. getting the VAT off components, various contracts and so on.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

-snip-

I'm pretty new to a lot of this. 

How should I go about negotiating pay/a contract?

I'm pretty new to a lot of this. 

How should I go about negotiating pay/a contract?

Well the first step is to ask the question: Is there a contract? If there's not then it's just not that type of business unfortunately. This will have ramifications for sick time, holiday, pay reviews, performance reviews and so on. For instance they may not even exist in the context of that business. Therefore you ideally want to go in as fully aware as you can be. Ask a lot of questions when the time is appropriate to do so.

It would help to get an idea of the kind of business it is i.e. how large it is, how many staff, what their turnover is and where they are.

As for pay... if it were me I'd simply say that there's no way that I'd be prepared to work for free. It's up to you though: How do you feel about that? Can you be certain that there's not simply an abundance of young people that might be inclined to do so. The owner/s may be banking on that in order to cut costs...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Well the first step is to ask the question: Is there a contract? If there's not then it's just not that type of business unfortunately. This will have ramifications for sick time, holiday, pay reviews, performance reviews and so on. For instance they may not even exist in the context of that business. Therefore you ideally want to go in as fully aware as you can be. Ask a lot of questions when the time is appropriate to do so.

It would help to get an idea of the kind of business it is i.e. how large it is, how many staff, what their turnover is and where they are.

As for pay... if it were me I'd simply say that there's no way that I'd be prepared to work for free. It's up to you though: How do you feel about that? Can you be certain that there's not simply an abundance of young people that might be inclined to do so. The owner/s may be banking on that in order to cut costs...

Well I know my friend gets paid. I already run our massive performing arts center at my high school, so I dont really wanna give myself away for free

UPDATE: I have sent him an email outlining my skills etc. Will update with his response.