Lenovo Y700 Review

salah2000

So i received my y700 today i intend to split the review in two parts.

PART 1: First Impressions

The first impression i had once i pulled it out of the box was wow its built really well. I was also surprised to see that lenovo included a usb dvd drive ( Usb 2.0 :(((( ). The aluminium panels on the bottom and top are solid and look GREAT, but on the first touch you realise that it is a FINGERPRINT MAGNET. The soft touch finish on the main body is nice. So far aesthetics and built quality are two big pluses from me.

When you press the satisfying power button a sexy array of white leds are revealed. This is the part that disappointed me. It literally takes FOREVER to boot and once its on, the windows installation is another nightmare. I ended up leaving the room and watching an episode of prison break before finally coming back to see it had finally finished installing. At this point some of you may be saying why didn't i just get the ssd model. Well heres why, Lenovo wanted to take a page out of apples book and unnecessarily restrict upgradablilty of its laptops. What i mean is, if you buy  the model with an included m.2 ssd as a boot drive, they remove the hard drive cables. WHYYYYYYYYY. So now im stuck with a 1tb hdd model and an extra $100 to save up for a m.2 ssd. This issue is reffering to the models that dont have an ssd and a hdd installed by default. Ive seen some models like that online but they werent available from ncix where i purchased my y700 from. Anyways ill move on to the keyboard and trackpad.

Firstly the keyboard is GR8 M8. Key travel is good and the keys feel really tactile and really shows lenovos experience in keyboards. The backlighting is bright though the leds arent as red as they appear in pictures, they sometimes have a very slight orangey tinge to them. Moving on, all the reviews i saw online stated the trackpad as mediocre or just "good". Overall i found tracking and multi-touch gestures pretty good but where it shone for me was the very tactile and very satisfying mechanical click. I did have one annoying gripe with the trackpad which was i found it was much too far to the left then it shouldve been. On first use it was quite uncomfortable to place my arm and wrist in that area and i often found myself rightclicking when i wanted to leftclick. Ive had the laptop for a couple of hours now and im starting to adjust to it. Now to my favourite part of the first impressions review. THE AUDIO. As expressed by my capitals the speakers on this beast were just GR8 M8. It reached really high volumes and i only found it lacking in bass, but maybe thats due to me being such a bass lover lol.

To wrap up my first impressions, the build quaity is very good, the keyboard is very good and the trackpad is just "good" and lastly the Audio is VERY good.

I'll upload a few review after maybe a week or two. Enjoy.

???

He's just saying it's all written in one big block of text without any enters or 'chapters' or something :P

Otherwise good review! Maybe you could include some stuff about how hot or loud it gets or just performance in general.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Happy you'r enjoying it :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I might get around to posting a Y50 review if I'm not too lazy.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

He's just saying it's all written in one big block of text without any enters or 'chapters' or something :P

Otherwise good review! Maybe you could include some stuff about how hot or loud it gets or just performance in general.

In the full review...

In the full review...

Looking forward to reading and comparing with my notes on the matter ;)

Just be sure to say what you've used to test temps so I have a way of comparing

which y50?

4720HQ + 860M + 1TB SSHD + IPS Display