Gpu idle temps too high?

caim1231

I have a MSI Armor 2x 980ti, and it is idling at 48c, I feel like this is too high. The fan speed is 40%. How can I reduce it?

I have a MSI Armor 2x 980ti, and it is idling at 48c, I feel like this is too high. The fan speed is 40%. How can I reduce it?

The way you worded that it seems like you wanted to reduce the fan speeds alone rather than the temperatures, to me.

Try adding more case fans?

Give us an idea of your entire setup please.

Sig under construction.

you want to reduce the fan speed?

i though you said 48C was too high for you?

reducing fan speed makes temperature go up, not down...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thats fine.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Its pretty obvious I wanna reduce the gpu temp, not the fan speed...

Its pretty obvious I wanna reduce the gpu temp, not the fan speed...

It would help to list your specs and describe how your airflow is configured.

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hey Caim1231,

The temperatures of the gpu are fine at that temperature at idel can I please have the temperatures of them when there at load then it will become clearer if they are getting too hot.

Thanks

-JeffTec :D

Hey Caim1231,

The temperatures of the gpu are fine at that temperature at idel can I please have the temperatures of them when there at load then it will become clearer if they are getting too hot.

Thanks

The load temps vary from 74-83C, until I turned the fan speed to 80% and it changed it to 65C, which I was MUCH more comfortable with.

It would help to list your specs and describe how your airflow is configured.

Moved to Air Cooling.

CPU : Intel 5820k. OC'ed to 3.8ghz

Cooler: Corsair h100i GTX

GPU: MSI Armor2x 980ti

MOBO: Asrock Extreme3

RAM: Not sure what brand, but 8GB DDR4 2400mhz

3 intake, 1 exhaust, radiator pushes air into case. (cooler manual said that was the best way of doing it so I just did it that way)

Your cards should be fine even if you don't put the speed up to 80% the graphics cards are built to withstand a lot of heat and pressure but the fans should go to 80% when in game anyway and 65C is very cool when on full load and 48C is fine on idel if the cards only reach 65C on load.

Hope this helps,

The load temps vary from 74-83C, until I turned the fan speed to 80% and it changed it to 65C, which I was MUCH more comfortable with.

74-83c isn't that high. You're fine up to 90c at load.

CPU : Intel 5820k. OC'ed to 3.8ghz

Cooler: Corsair h100i GTX

GPU: MSI Armor2x 980ti

MOBO: Asrock Extreme3

RAM: Not sure what brand, but 8GB DDR4 2400mhz

3 intake, 1 exhaust, radiator pushes air into case. (cooler manual said that was the best way of doing it so I just did it that way)

What case? Where are the fans being positioned?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

74-83c isn't that high. You're fine up to 90c at load.

What case? Where are the fans being positioned?

NZXT Noctis 450 3 intake in the front, 1 exhaust in the back

NZXT Noctis 450 3 intake in the front, 1 exhaust in the back

Your idle temps seem normal. Having another top exhaust could help lower idle temps a bit if that matters to you.

Your idle temps seem normal. Having another top exhaust could help lower idle temps a bit if that matters to you.

I actually already planned to put a fan on the top later today, good to know its gonna help. Thanks!