Windows 8 Experience for the no touch user?

Yuval
Go to solution Solved by mmracho,

+1 for personal preference. I myself have been using Win 8 for both my laptop and desktop for a few months now (I got them from dreamspark to test them :D). For me it feels like it's neither an upgrade or a downgrade from Win 7. It's just... meh. I am kinda used to Win 8 already so it doesnt really bother me much. But if you happen to buy a Win 8 laptop and you absolutely cant stand modern UI, try getting StartIsBack (its pretty cheap). Heard it changed a lot of peoples lives lol

I'm intending on buying a new laptop, since mine does not fit the type of usage i need (battery life holds for an hour, maybe).

Every single laptop has windows 8 on it, understandable, but odd to me since it is a touch screen focus OS, I've been wondering how is it to use a laptop/PC without a touchscreen with Win8. 

will i be able to use it to it's full potential? or is it just a piece of garbage and i should format the PC back to win 7?

:/

Its down to preference if you like windows 8 or not.

You should format EVERY new laptop regardless however due to all the crap they put on, or run the de-crapifer programs you can get, but I prefer format.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

trackpad has some shortcuts you can use to make it simple on you and dont downgrade to windows 7

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

The touch pad essentially acts as a touch screen so you can use all the swiping controls and stuff

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

My specific laptop should not have allot of junkware, from what i heard lenovo doesn't do that, and what they put is useful. 

Anyway would like the hear some more feedback about the OS.

I'm intending on buying a new laptop, since mine does not fit the type of usage i need (battery life holds for an hour, maybe).

Every single laptop has windows 8 on it, understandable, but odd to me since it is a touch screen focus OS, I've been wondering how is it to use a laptop/PC without a touchscreen with Win8. 

will i be able to use it to it's full potential? or is it just a piece of garbage and i should format the PC back to win 7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMGX6UnCASE

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

+1 for personal preference. I myself have been using Win 8 for both my laptop and desktop for a few months now (I got them from dreamspark to test them :D). For me it feels like it's neither an upgrade or a downgrade from Win 7. It's just... meh. I am kinda used to Win 8 already so it doesnt really bother me much. But if you happen to buy a Win 8 laptop and you absolutely cant stand modern UI, try getting StartIsBack (its pretty cheap). Heard it changed a lot of peoples lives lol

Good enough.

I used the beta version of Windows 8 and I loved it.

Thanks guys, i'll go for win8 + startisback, seems cheap enough to be worth buying.

Thanks guys, i'll go for win8 + startisback, seems cheap enough to be worth buying.

I just recently got StartisBack, and it is much better than classic shell or anything else. Good choice!

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I just recently got StartisBack, and it is much better than classic shell or anything else. Good choice!

how is it better than classic shell which is free and does exactly what it's supposed to do?

how is it better than classic shell which is free and does exactly what it's supposed to do?

StartIsBack does not run as a process so it is much faster.

EDIT: Here is a video on it.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I use Windows 8 on my desktop and laptop. I prefer it over Windows 7.

At first I didn't like it, but after a month in, I learned it, and now I prefer it over Windows 7, and don't want to switch back. Yes with the Start Screen and all.

The Start Menu is primitive compared to the Start Screen.

The idea of the Start Screen is simple:

-> You pin any folder or app or game your want

-> You can place things how you want

-> Microsoft recommends to pin most used items at the bottom left corner of the screen, for easy access, and the least used (or already pin on the Task Bar) on the far right.

-> For most used programs, pin them on the Task Bar.

-> For files you want to pin, you can pin them on the Task Bar with the program it opens with. You just right-click on it, and pick the file you want. Exactly like you do in Windows 7.

Here is my Start Screen:

dss.png

As you can see, under "Home" group that I made, this is where I put my most used items. I don't have a specific classification, so I called the group Home.

"News" group is basically my news widgets (Modern UI apps) pinned. I have more of it now,.

"Games" allows me to quickly start my games (I have a lot more games installed now), and not have to lunch Steam, or Origin or UPlay, figure out where it is, if not, try a different program, go through the entire program navigation, hit play, and in some cases, have to tell it that Yes I really want to play the game and not access the option panel. Here in Windows 8, I just click and my game starts.

For the rest, I just search, by just typing anywhere.

Things I really don't like in Windows 8

-> Files by default opens using the Modern UI app, and not desktop app, if you have a Modern UI program installed that can open these files. It's not a big problem, but annoying when you first use your system, and open a jpg or png or gif file, and it opens the Modern UI app, instead of Windows Essential PhotoGallery (install separately) or Windows PhotoViewer. So either you uninstall the Modern UI app, or you open the Default Programs panel, (type on the start screen: default > select Default Programs), click on Set your default program, and click your program you want to associate with the files it can open.

It's just an annoying step to do when you login for the first time.

-> Search is not unified like in Windows 7 (fixed in Windows 8.1, and improved over Windows 7). As Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade for Windows 8 users, and it's coming next month, I see it being no longer an issue.

Fun facts / Tip & Tricks:
- Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Security Essential, renamed as Windows Defender. So you don't need an Anti-virus, unless you want something else.

- Check out Bento Moden UI app that you can download for free from the Windows Store, it's a great news reader.

- You can install Microsoft Essentials in Windows 8, much in Windows 7, for free: http://windows.micro...live/essentials. I install it for Photo Gallery only, as it's a good picture viewer

- If you want to have your desktop program open all your files, and not have Modern UI apps do that. Simple search on the Start Screen (type), Default Program. In it, you can click on Set your default programs, and you can click on the program you want, and click on Set this program as default button.

- To get quick access to some mostly use Control Panel elements, simply do Win+X on your keyboard, or right-click on the Start Button when you move your mouse to show it.

- To quickly shutdown the system you can do Win+I anywhere, and you'll see the power button. Alternatively, you can do Alt+F4 on the desktop, or you do Win+C (or move your mouse at the bottom or top of the screen, and slide it toward the center) > Settings > Power.

- Windows 8 include the ability to virtually load on a ISO. Just double click on one, and it will loaded. Check out Computer folder. You'll notice a virtual drive, with your ISO loaded.

- Windows 8 (and Vista and 7) allows you to burn CD and DVDs from Windows. No need of extra software. It also support the ability to treat a rewritable disk as a USB flash drive, where you can add and remove files, anytime you want.

- For those in region where XBox Music is available, you can have unlimited free music streaming out of 30 million song library growing each week. You have ads, but you can remove the ads, and the ability to get unlimited music download (playable only on Microsoft devices) for 10$ per month, or 100$ per year (Canadian and US prices, it's different for every region. In the U.K I think it's 8 pounds per month if I am not mistaken). All music are in high quality.
The music library is the second largest one. iTunes being the largest. You can also use the Zune desktop app.

Check out Smart DJ too. Using an artists info, it will find similar music, by looking at the bio of every artists, and find those who got influenced by, worked with, and so on, and build an 'endless' playlist.

- To close a Modern UI app. Do Alt+F4, or mouse the mouse at the top center of the screen, and drag it all the way down. You can also snap them to the left and right of the screen in similar fashion, just move left or right, and not down.

I hope this helps you to get started a bit.

Double post, sorry.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Wow, Tek Syndicate strikes back! He really recommended any 3rd party programme to his audience for clearing pc? Wow I already thought he is not too reliable source of info but what you linked is just terrible.

Just format the HDD and reinstall system. Wow, GOD, decrapifier? What is this, I don't even... Just format your laptop.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Wow, Tek Syndicate strikes back! He really recommended any 3rd party programme to his audience for clearing pc? Wow I already thought he is not too reliable source of info but what you linked is just terrible.

Just format the HDD and reinstall system. Wow, GOD, decrapifier? What is this, I don't even... Just format your laptop.

You must not know anything of Logan's experience.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I don't own any computers with touch screen and has been using Windows 8 since pre-RTM. I think its just a matter of getting used to the added Modern UI Environment. I honestly don't use it as much and I actually just use the Start Screen to pin my favorite Applications/Games (much like what GoodBytes are doing).

IMO Windows 8 is just like Windows 7 but much refined and has added features. Never had problems with it from the start (except on my old machine. but its more of a hardware problem). One thing I like about it is how fast it boots up. I can boot up in less than 15 seconds just using a 5400RPM HDD on my laptop.

I use Windows 8 on my desktop and laptop. I prefer it over Windows 7.

At first I didn't like it, but after a month in, I learned it, and now I prefer it over Windows 7, and don't want to switch back. Yes with the Start Screen and all.

The Start Menu is primitive compared to the Start Screen.

The idea of the Start Screen is simple:

-> You pin any folder or app or game your want

-> You can place things how you want

-> Microsoft recommends to pin most used items at the bottom left corner of the screen, for easy access, and the least used (or already pin on the Task Bar) on the far right.

-> For most used programs, pin them on the Task Bar.

-> For files you want to pin, you can pin them on the Task Bar with the program it opens with. You just right-click on it, and pick the file you want. Exactly like you do in Windows 7.

Here is my Start Screen:

dss.png

As you can see, under "Home" group that I made, this is where I put my most used items. I don't have a specific classification, so I called the group Home.

"News" group is basically my news widgets (Modern UI apps) pinned. I have more of it now,.

"Games" allows me to quickly start my games (I have a lot more games installed now), and not have to lunch Steam, or Origin or UPlay, figure out where it is, if not, try a different program, go through the entire program navigation, hit play, and in some cases, have to tell it that Yes I really want to play the game and not access the option panel. Here in Windows 8, I just click and my game starts.

For the rest, I just search, by just typing anywhere.

Things I really don't like in Windows 8

-> Files by default opens using the Modern UI app, and not desktop app, if you have a Modern UI program installed that can open these files. It's not a big problem, but annoying when you first use your system, and open a jpg or png or gif file, and it opens the Modern UI app, instead of Windows Essential PhotoGallery (install separately) or Windows PhotoViewer. So either you uninstall the Modern UI app, or you open the Default Programs panel, (type on the start screen: default > select Default Programs), click on Set your default program, and click your program you want to associate with the files it can open.

It's just an annoying step to do when you login for the first time.

-> Search is not unified like in Windows 7 (fixed in Windows 8.1, and improved over Windows 7). As Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade for Windows 8 users, and it's coming next month, I see it being no longer an issue.

Fun facts / Tip & Tricks:

- Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Security Essential, renamed as Windows Defender. So you don't need an Anti-virus, unless you want something else.

- Check out Bento Moden UI app that you can download for free from the Windows Store, it's a great news reader.

- You can install Microsoft Essentials in Windows 8, much in Windows 7, for free: http://windows.micro...live/essentials. I install it for Photo Gallery only, as it's a good picture viewer

- If you want to have your desktop program open all your files, and not have Modern UI apps do that. Simple search on the Start Screen (type), Default Program. In it, you can click on Set your default programs, and you can click on the program you want, and click on Set this program as default button.

- To get quick access to some mostly use Control Panel elements, simply do Win+X on your keyboard, or right-click on the Start Button when you move your mouse to show it.

- To quickly shutdown the system you can do Win+I anywhere, and you'll see the power button. Alternatively, you can do Alt+F4 on the desktop, or you do Win+C (or move your mouse at the bottom or top of the screen, and slide it toward the center) > Settings > Power.

- Windows 8 include the ability to virtually load on a ISO. Just double click on one, and it will loaded. Check out Computer folder. You'll notice a virtual drive, with your ISO loaded.

- Windows 8 (and Vista and 7) allows you to burn CD and DVDs from Windows. No need of extra software. It also support the ability to treat a rewritable disk as a USB flash drive, where you can add and remove files, anytime you want.

- For those in region where XBox Music is available, you can have unlimited free music streaming out of 30 million song library growing each week. You have ads, but you can remove the ads, and the ability to get unlimited music download (playable only on Microsoft devices) for 10$ per month, or 100$ per year (Canadian and US prices, it's different for every region. In the U.K I think it's 8 pounds per month if I am not mistaken). All music are in high quality.

The music library is the second largest one. iTunes being the largest. You can also use the Zune desktop app.

Check out Smart DJ too. Using an artists info, it will find similar music, by looking at the bio of every artists, and find those who got influenced by, worked with, and so on, and build an 'endless' playlist.

- To close a Modern UI app. Do Alt+F4, or mouse the mouse at the top center of the screen, and drag it all the way down. You can also snap them to the left and right of the screen in similar fashion, just move left or right, and not down.

I hope this helps you to get started a bit.

Since i have NO apps on my desktop at all, just some office apps chrome and steam, i don't need to start screen, but i'll give it a try

How about pinning your Steam games on the Start Screen? Folders? and such.

I mean you got have to have something?!

How about pinning your Steam games on the Start Screen? Folders? and such.

I mean you got have to have something?!

Nothing.

8clm.png

Soooo..... why do you have a computer again?

I have all the apps i need on the start menu, steam for all games and word etc..