Microphone for gaming and youtube

TheLunchbox

Hi,

I need to get a better mic because my headset mic is dying and it's pretty crappy. I'll need this mic for YouTube and gaming in general, so I thought the blue snowball would be perfect but my problem is, I have dogs and they pretty much bark at everything.

So I was looking for other mics (like ones that have atleast a mute switch or can not take in background noise) and I found the blue yeti for $100 but I don't want to buy it if it will take alot of noise from my dogs barking or me even typing on my Corsair K70 RGB.

If anyone would like to know then my budget is $100 CDN. I heard the AT2020 is really good but it's $200 on amazon for the USB version.

Thanks.

if you want really good quality you've got to shell out some dollah. 

even if you get a microphone that filters background well you'll need a pop filter so you don't POP POP POP everytime you open your mouth. if you decide on a mic that doesnt come with one. 

also, you can get sound absorbing panels to help suck up some of that bark sound. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Oops, wrong thread. Disregard.

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

if you want really good quality you've got to shell out some dollah. 

even if you get a microphone that filters background well you'll need a pop filter so you don't POP POP POP everytime you open your mouth. if you decide on a mic that doesnt come with one. 

also, you can get sound absorbing panels to help suck up some of that bark sound. 

Well I don't have a lot of money right now and I need a decent microphone. So what would you recommend? I'm not going to be right up close to the mic but I might be able to buy a pop filter.

Well I'm glad you're not going with the Blue Snowball. It's a very noisy yet quiet microphone because it doesn't get enough power from USB alone. For your situation I would recommend a Uni-directional ModMic. http://www.modmic.com/collections/modmic/products/modmic-4-0

edit: It even has a mute button, included foam pop filter, and it's a great value.

Well I'm glad you're not going with the Blue Snowball. It's a very noisy yet quiet microphone because it doesn't get enough power from USB alone. For your situation I would recommend a Uni-directional ModMic. http://www.modmic.com/collections/modmic/products/modmic-4-0

edit: It even has a mute button, included foam pop filter, and it's a great value.

Alright thanks. My friend has a Blue Snowball so I'm going to ask him some questions about it. What about the Blue yeti? It has Uni-directional mode. I don't have any headphones so I don't know where to put the modmic

Would the HyperX Cloud 2 be better for my situation until I have enough money for the AT2020 or something better?

Errrr... "not enough power from the USB alone" is completely wrong. Look at expensive USB Microphones. The difference is the quality, it's a good entry USB microphone and has nothing to do with power coming from the usb.... You may be confused with XLR, which are generally higher quality microphones which need a interface to plug into, which isn't really needed for OP.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

It's not completely wrong. Even high quality USB mics are noisier than XLR mics because of the limitation of USB. In my experience the Snowball is a very noisy mic without giving you enough gain, and the reason is because of the lack of power. I'm fully aware of XLR mics, and if you want quality that's a far better option - but the budget obviously limits the options here. 3-pin XLR can carry up to 15 amps, while USB 3.0 (2.0 is even more limited) is limited to 900 mA. 

Alright thanks. My friend has a Blue Snowball so I'm going to ask him some questions about it. What about the Blue yeti? It has Uni-directional mode. I don't have any headphones so I don't know where to put the modmic

I have a blue yeti blackout and I really enjoy it. I use it for Skype, gaming and doing commentary on videos. It's an all around great mic for the price in my opinion.

I have a blue yeti blackout and I really enjoy it. I use it for Skype, gaming and doing commentary on videos. It's an all around great mic for the price in my opinion.

Do you get a lot of background noise in your videos? Like you moving in your chair or something.

I'm thinking on getting one of the blue mics because it's in my budget and it's a good option. Would a HyperX Cloud 2 be better in my situation though?

I think it would be a good idea to get some closed back headphones and the mod mic. When gameplay sound is played through your speakers and then picked up by your microphone it loops back to everyone for a second time which can be distracting and annoying to other players. The HyperX Cloud 2 seems like a good option if you want a gaming headset, however.

I think it would be a good idea to get some closed back headphones and the mod mic. When gameplay sound is played through your speakers and then picked up by your microphone it loops back to everyone for a second time which can be distracting and annoying to other players. The HyperX Cloud 2 seems like a good option if you want a gaming headset, however.

I have some earbuds that I got a while ago, so I can pair that up with the blue snowball. I would get headphones and a modmic but there not cheap and there not in my budget, Especially in canada  (that I have seen). 

Do you get a lot of background noise in your videos? Like you moving in your chair or something.

Well, I have a really loud chair...so yeah. But if i were to sit still and not flail about in my chair then it would be fine. I use the cardio mode which is best for podcast, recording, etc. For the price I think you would really like the mic. Especially with this pop filter: http://www.amazon.com/Dragonpad-filter-Microphone-Flexible-Gooseneck/dp/B008AOH1O6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452491050&sr=8-1&keywords=dragonpad+pop+filter

I will say if you are looking to spend a bit more than go check out Goldglove's youtube channel. He uses an Audio-technica mic, and there should be a link in the description for it. It does sound very good, but i know it costs a bit more. Either way, your choice.

I will say if you are looking to spend a bit more than go check out Goldglove's youtube channel. He uses an Audio-technica mic, and there should be a link in the description for it. It does sound very good, but i know it costs a bit more. Either way, your choice.

I actually just researched some other mics and I found the ATR2500 from Audio technica is a lot better than the Blue Snowball and it's the same price, so i'm probably going to get that. I would get the blue yeti or blue snowball but I don't want to start recording and it picking up my computer fans and all that.