how long until DX12 becomes the norm ?

warzkaz

upcoming games like tomb raider are coming out with DX 11 support only :(

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

Mostly because DX12 is supported on Nvidia 900 series only. From what i know... do correct me if im wrong. Games with true dx12 will definitely come soon. 

Bear in mind a lot of games like Rise of the Tomb Raider would have started development before DX12 was around. We still have some games releasing without even DX11 support. 

I will be a while before DX12 becomes the norm. At least a year. 

Mostly because DX12 is supported on Nvidia 900 series only. From what i know... do correct me if im wrong. Games with true dx12 will definitely come soon. 

You are wrong. Only the 980 Ti/Titan X and AMD's 300 series support it.

EDIT: Correction: Those are the ones that support A-sync shaders. Any Kepler/Maxwell/GCN card wil run DX12 but those ones will get a performance increase of around 30-40%. The rest will go down the drain.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Amd supports things like optimization features like async compute

Nvidia supports the new visual features

Neither support both currently, so neither are truly ready for dx12

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

but it has backward compatibility for dx11 GPUs 

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

Pretty much all DX11 cards have some level of support for DX12. Supposedly, only a handful of the 900 series had full support, which seems to be false, considering how they did with asynchronous computing. 

EDIT: They support it, but didn't do well so far. Pascal will probably be the first series with complete, good support.

Backwards compatibility will stay here soo...

When it will be the norm? Probably in a couple of years? Game development can take years, 3 years is very normal so i won't be suprised if it takes 4-5 years.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Personally, I hope DX12 is the end of DX and we can move onto a more open standard.  Vulkan already has a huge advantage over DX12 as it can be on every platform out there, vs Win 10 for DX 12 (and consoles?)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

EDIT: Correction: Those are the ones that support A-sync shaders. Any Kepler/Maxwell/GCN card wil run DX12 but those ones will get a performance increase of around 30-40%. The rest will go down the drain.

even 980 ti performance decease with dx12

1080p.png

1) Even though it's likely, the correct phrase is how long IF dx12 becomes the norm

2) I'd say that you've gotta look at the average game development cycle: 3 to 4 years.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1) Even though it's likely, the correct phrase is how long IF dx12 becomes the norm

2) I'd say that you've gotta look at the average game development cycle: 3 to 4 years.d

Far cry primal is coming out on March with dx12

I am sure Developers got  the API before it was released

EDIT: also the division is coming in the same day as  far cry, retard ubisoft are releasing two games on the same day 

My gtx 780 is supposedly able to support it with the 0.48 bios

Starting next year imo.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3-4 years

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

All Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell support DX12.

For AMD, all GCN cards will support it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Far cry primal is coming out on March with dx12

I am sure Developers got  the API before it was released

EDIT: also the division is coming in the same day as  far cry, retard ubisoft are releasing two games on the same day 

No company really cares about dx12 besides microsoft since its sole purpose was to compel people to switch to windows 10, otherwise though it adds potential improvements to graphics these improvements could be achieved through other means, the only real benefit I can see is potential increases in performance which  for all we know is smoke and mirrors (since we don't have a proper way to compare yet)

Also I'd rather see dx12 flop and vulcan become widely used, and or dx12 becoming hacked to work on windows 7/8 cuz screw 10 imo

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I am silently waiting for Vulkan to become available. I cannot wait for OpenGL to be scrapped.

i won't be suprised if it takes 4-5 years.

I'll be surpriced if it takes less than 6-7 years... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

I'll be surpriced if it takes less than 6-7 years... 

ON second thought, it's possible DX12 won't even be the next one. Maybe Vulkan is the next one...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I remember when DX10 first came out, it was very limited... DX9 was still king.

DX11 only took off because of the vast improvements in certain areas in graphics such as geometry and compute, but DX11 also added performance for GPU's that support it.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

ON second thought, it's possible DX12 won't even be the next one. Maybe Vulkan is the next one...

Could be Vulkan, could be something else- who knows... For me DX12 is just another nice, but not necessary thing. Such as 144Hz monitors- they are better than 120Hz, but 90% of users can't find the difference between 120 and 144Hz... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes...