Should I get a GTX 980ti or a second GTX 970

Considering what Valve and HTC are saying, VR will cost more than a 980 Ti from the looks of it.

id be nice, if they did cheaper version for us plebs.

Which is a weak argument, unless yourname is nostradamus and you can predict future VRAM usage. And wasn't DX12 supposed to add SLI VRAM if we start talking hypotheticals...

I think it does ye along with ability to use the onboard (another reason to consider the more expensive intels) but I believe it requires to programmers to make use of it ...

Heres hoping

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Which is a weak argument, unless yourname is nostradamus and you can predict future VRAM usage. And wasn't DX12 supposed to add SLI VRAM if we start talking hypotheticals...

If devs go out of their way to make VRAM stack it will.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

id be nice, if they did cheaper version for us plebs.

Google cardboard :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I think it does ye along with ability to use the onboard (another reason to consider the more expensive intels) but I believe it requires to programmers to make use of it ...

Heres hoping

you mean post processing on iGPU? it just makes latency. post processing can be done really well with Async.

i more like idea of using HSA and hUMA to boost cpu performance, offloading physics on igpu aswell. Nvidia got slides where they show how much more time cpu-type architecture has to work for paralel compute and even if you have only tiny iGPU that could do that ( we have absolutely massive ones) you would cut time by 4 fold or more

If I'm reading OP correctly it seems he has sold his 970 and is wondering if he should get another 970 (as a single card) or upgrade to a 980ti. Not run in SLI and buy a second card, or even buy 2 new ones. OR he is saying he could sell the 970 to his friend and use that money towards a 980ti.... not sure second makes more sense.

The second one, I'm wondering whether to sell my current gpu to my friend or use sli

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P DDR3 ATX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB 2400MHz

GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1060

Case: Zalman Z9+

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, SK Hynix 256GB SSD

PSU: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W

Google cardboard :D

if you can put a 10$ LCD, 10$ head tracking in (ok maybe more), GO GO GO

and gyro should not be expensive

Barely there anymore?

What about Fallout 4? What about Witcher? Batman(Horrible port, but still) ? Assassin's creed, should I go on?

Have a look at this video, they trade blows, sometimes the 980TI performs better.

When, you're talking about 3.5/4 Gb, games do bottleneck, seen with Shadow of Mordor using 6GB+

Also, if you had the choice between having your case 5-20C cooler, wouldn't you want that?

Poor game optimization causing a bottleneck is something different.

Were you expecting me to go on about 390s or Furies? :D I'm not a fanboy, I just look at the most optimal solution for the money :P

Don, you're a fanboy. You beat the VRAM drum only because AMD gave it to you. Just about every serious reviewer has shown the 970 is no limited by its VRAM, and won't be for years to come.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Don, you're a fanboy. You beat the VRAM drum only because AMD gave it to you. Just about every serious reviewer has shown the 970 is no limited by its VRAM, and won't be for years to come.

JayzTwoCents - one of the Nvidia-biased reviewiers - showed it giving issues in 2-3 games. feel free to look it up.

JayzTwoCents - one of the Nvidia-biased reviewiers - showed it giving issues in 2-3 games. feel free to look it up.

What!?!? LOL First off Jay isn't biased. Second he found no issues, you need to watch it again. I'll post the link when I get to my PC.

What!?!? LOL First off Jay isn't biased. Second he found no issues, you need to watch it again. I'll post the link when I get to my PC.

He noticed some severe stutter in Mordor and GTA V IIRC. And he doesn't know the first thing about AMD cards. Proven by the fact that he uses Overdrive.

He noticed some severe stutter in Mordor and GTA V IIRC. And he doesn't know the first thing about AMD cards. Proven by the fact that he uses Overdrive.

Severe? LOL Don you crack me up. He was honest that it happened in Mordor but it wasn't severe. And nothing different than every AMD card made in JC3 so he said it might not even be the memory.

Almost to my PC

EDIT

Here, please watch it again Don.

Severe? LOL Don you crack me up. He was honest that it happened in Mordor but it wasn't severe. And nothing different than every AMD card made in JC3 so he said it might not even be the memory.

Almost to my PC

EDIT

Here, please watch it again Don.

Did you watch the part with the fight? Tell me that's playable.

Did you watch the part with the fight? Tell me that's playable.

Have you played JC3 on a AMD card? :lol:

If you play Just Cause 3, it would be evil to recommend an AMD card for that game. DigitalFoundry has plenty of comparison videos about that, look it up.

To OP:

I would go with 980ti if I were in your position. I just don't like the hassle with SLi

^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MB: Asus Z170-A | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ GTX 980 Perf. | CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 | COOLER: Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO |

RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage | STORAGE:  Western Digital HDD & Samsung 850 EVO SSD | PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 550W | SCREEN: Dell U2412M 24"

Nope. Cannot comment on that.

Nope. Cannot comment on that.

Point is even Jay said and rightfully so there is no way of knowing if the stuttering was because the game is not optimized for Nvidia or if the memory was to blame. Ether way any card you buy will have the competition beating it in some of the games out there, that's unavoidable. The beating of the VRAM drum is bull shit, and getting old. Games use the VRAM that is available on the card. The 8g of VRAM on the 390 hasn't saved it from stuttering issues just like the HBM memory hasn't saved the Fury from stuttering issues. So it's Bull Shit to bring the memory up until AMD sorts those problems out.

just finished 2 hours of Witcher 3 in 4k on my rig, guess what? No vram initiated stuttering, not any stuttering caused by SLI :P

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

You're saying that as if that was years ago. That trend only started appearing with the very latest games. Plus companies themselves are ditching their 2GB cards, so it's not much of a choice. 4GB cards are just not that much more expensive. 

We're however, not talking 2GB vs. 4GB. Stop deflecting and either prove 6GB is now somehow the new requirement or sweetspot or stop making it an argument to go either for A or B.

Not talking 2GB vs. 4GB, don is throwing red herrings to prevent me from criticising his earlier statements (deflecting). And going over 3GB does, again, not imply the need for >2GB. Many games just leave junk on the VRAM to prevent excessive fetching. But with a fast SSD you might not even notice.

It does when my GTX650ti OC 2GB maxes out all 2GB vRAM and spills to system memory when my GTX 970 has no issues due to 3.5GB full speed vRAM/512MB low speed vRAM. I've done the comparisons. I know for a fact that 2GB is only a minimum for 1080p with modern games. 4GB is preferred and recommended at 1080p due to increasing vRAM consumption with each AAA game release, with more vRAM being best for 1440p and 4K-although 4GB HBM seems to be ok due to the greatly improved bandwidth (think Pentium II 450MHz with 512KB cache being just as fast at the same clock speed as a Celeron 300A on a 100MHz FSB with 256KB cache).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have a GTX 980 Ti. The powerconsumtion and the noise alone are reasons enough to not SLI for the same graphical power.

In addition to that you get 2GB+ VRAM for the same price. 

So the GTX 980 Ti is better in mny ways in my opinion ^^

[never touch a running system]

Go SLI if your game supports it. Some games don't or at least officially supports multiple gpu setup. I wouldn't get a 980ti til a Pascal arrives though, that way you can get it even cheaper.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Oh, hey. A title Nvidia had their paws on is gimped on AMD cards yet again. Must be AMD's fault, yes? Heh heh.

Oh, hey. A title Nvidia had their paws on is gimped on AMD cards yet again. Must be AMD's fault, yes? Heh heh.

That excuse is so 2015 :lol: