Stock Cooler vs. Hyper TX3 EVO 4°C Difference

Gibs960

I was just wondering if it's even worth having the after market cooler on because using Prime95 stress test at 100% load, there's only a 4°C difference (89°C on TX3 and 93°C on stock).

I haven't checked the exact numbers but I think there's about a 20°C difference when idle or using basic programmes (Approx 30°C on TX3 and approx 50°C on stock).

Just wanted your guys' opinions because I'm not very well educated when it comes to temperatures and that sort of thing - besides that lower is better.

Both temps are not normal. Stock cooler shouldn't go above 70 max.

Don't use prime95; use aida64 or actual games to see real life temperatures. 

Nearly pissed myself laughing. aida 64 is awful at stressing cpus. i hate it when these people on the forums say  : 1 hour aida64 is all you need, p95 1344k will crash unstable oc within minutes LOL

when using prime check what voltage you were getting under load with hwmonitor

What sort of CPU do you have?

i5 4690k @ stock settings

i5 4690k @ stock settings

That stock cooler is just trash buy a cooler for 50 bucks and you're good to go. It thermalthrottle to protect itself thats why i wont go past 93celsius.

Nearly pissed myself laughing. aida 64 is awful at stressing cpus. i hate it when these people on the forums say  : 1 hour aida64 is all you need, p95 1344k will crash unstable oc within minutes LOL

p95 gives unrealistic temps anyway. Unless you would check the voltages, but what's the point in using it anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

p95 gives unrealistic temps anyway.

and? there is still something up if he is getting 20c less in other applications

p95 gives unrealistic temps anyway. Unless you would check the voltages, but what's the point in using it anyway.

I was using RealTemp to see temperature

and? there is still something up if he is getting 20c less in other applications

still, using prime you will always see 90C since cpu starts thermal throttling, you can't tell anything.

aida64 is better, but of course 1 hour doesn't tell you much about stability. Temperatures however are far more realistic.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1344k crashes unstable overclock extremely quickly... much faster than any other stress test anyway.

still, using prime you will always see 90C since cpu starts thermal throttling, you can't tell anything.

aida64 is better, but of course 1 hour doesn't tell you much about stability. Temperatures however are far more realistic.

90c on stock is too high...

1344k crashes unstable overclock extremely quickly... much faster than any other stress test anyway.

yes, but that's not what he is trying to check

90c on stock is too high...

it's not too high when running prime.

Spoiler

yes, but that's not what he is trying to check

but you said its pointless.. when it isnt

i always test temps with p95 8k fft size. best for temps as it creates the highest temps.. none of that "realistic" nonsense

but you said its pointless.. when it isnt

Prime95 will push every haswell cpu to 90C on every cooler. It doesn't tell you anything about temperatures, exactly what he is trying to check.

Spoiler

Well ya when a program has not been updated in an age to prevent it from incorrectly loading part of a cpu that can cause it to damage itself we tend not to recommend it. about the instability, who would of thought that having a cpu pull more power than it's designed too ( or than the user even set it to use in the bios) would lead to instability.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Prime95 will push every haswell cpu to 90C on every cooler. It doesn't tell you anything about temperatures, exactly what he is trying to check.

i loled at this.. that is incorrect

Well ya when a program has not been updated in an age to prevent it from incorrectly loading part of a cpu that can cause it to damage itself we tend not to recommend it. about the instability, who would of thought that having a cpu pull more power than it's designed too ( or than the user even set it to use in the bios) would lead to instability.

i cant believe people dont know do use 26.6 it really bothers me.. that is the latest version that doesnt use AVX

P95 is the only one i use and its open source aida is commercial.

i loled at this.. that is incorrect

yes it will. especially on stock and small coolers. 

P95 is the only one i use and its open source aida is commercial.

what difference does that make?

Spoiler

I stayed away from Aida because it costs, put me off straight away really.

yes it will. especially on stock and small coolers. 

"Prime95 will push every haswell cpu to 90C on every cooler"

ofc it can on every cooler, with high cpu core voltage and avx... use 26.6 the version without avx

I stayed away from Aida because it costs, put me off straight away really.

well there is a trial.. but the best temp test is p95 26.6 small fft or custom 8k fft size

"Prime95 will push every haswell cpu to 90C on every cooler"

ofc it can on every cooler, with high cpu core voltage and avx... use 26.6 the version without avx

so, your excuse is to use some specific version of a broken program just because that's the one that's not broken, you can't even download that version without specifically searching for it.

Spoiler