PLX chips and maxing slots

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99E_WS/

If you take a motherboard like Asus X99E WS and use all 7 slots, will you see a noticeable performance drop on the cards you plug in?

The reason I'm asking, is because I came across this case: http://www.mountainmods.com/ascension-gold-digger-gpu-mining-case-p-725.html

It has enough space for 4 way SLI and whatever else you want to put on the motherboard.

But its no point thinking about a crazy setup like that, if you suffer in performance compared to sticking with normal 40 PCI lanes.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

well, lets do some simple math, since in the very base what a plx chip does is very easy: it splits the bandwidth of one lane into two lanes of half the speed.

you have 40 pci-e 3.0 lanes.

7 16x slots totals up to 112 lanes.

so in the case you use all of your slots as a full 16x, you still have more bandwidth available than what 7 16x 1.0 slots provide, and should still be plenty to run any GPU.

(in reality you wont use full 16x on all slots, and as jay can probably tell with his evga board and bodged half plx, half not plx sli setup, honestly its fine)

well, lets do some simple math, since in the very base what a plx chip does is very easy: it splits the bandwidth of one lane into two lanes of half the speed.

you have 40 pci-e 3.0 lanes.

7 16x slots totals up to 112 lanes.

so in the case you use all of your slots as a full 16x, you still have more bandwidth available than what 7 16x 1.0 slots provide, and should still be plenty to run any GPU.

(in reality you wont use full 16x on all slots, and as jay can probably tell with his evga board and bodged half plx, half not plx sli setup, honestly its fine)

Yeah, I will probably not use 16x on all, but its nice to have the option of putting in a few raid cards and a pci ssd, while not having to worry about what the gpus cover.

Yeah, I will probably not use 16x on all, but its nice to have the option of putting in a few raid cards and a pci ssd, while not having to worry about what the gpus cover.

honestly, if people manage to run GPUs over thunderbolt docks, or even the shady laptop wifi card slot to pci-e 16x slot stuff... i doubt this is gonna be any sort of issue.

honestly, if people manage to run GPUs over thunderbolt docks, or even the shady laptop wifi card slot to pci-e 16x slot stuff... i doubt this is gonna be any sort of issue.

Its a difference between manage to run several GPUs and manage to use them as intended.

I mean, no point using 3-4 GPUs, if you get the same performance as using 1, thanks to PCI bandwidth issues.

Its a difference between manage to run several GPUs and manage to use them as intended.

I mean, no point using 3-4 GPUs, if you get the same performance as using 1, thanks to PCI bandwidth issues.

well, not like that 4th gpu is gonna be of much use, but honestly i doubt its gonna be any sort of issue.

i also doubt nvidia is gonna give their stamp of 4-way sli approval if the performance tanks the moment you plug another card in a slot.

well, not like that 4th gpu is gonna be of much use, but honestly i doubt its gonna be any sort of issue.

i also doubt nvidia is gonna give their stamp of 4-way sli approval if the performance tanks the moment you plug another card in a slot.

The 4th wont help in SLI, but it can help as a dedicated Phys X card.