Which should I use with my 4790K? (VRM phase count doesn't matter)

So I bought a Z97 Sabertooth MKII a few months ago to go with my 4790K as I figured it'd be nice to have the ability to adjust the BCLK, and reserve the H87M Pro for my i5 4440. However soon after I bought the Sabertooth its onboard audio died and I had to use HDMI audio for a while with my 1080p screen. Now my circumstances have changed and I've only got access to an old 1440x900 display with only DVI and VGA for the next 3-8  months so I no longer have any sound with this rig. Since no one answered my topic on what a good PCIe soundcard would be I'm left with these options.

• Use my fully functional Asus H87M Pro (fully capable of overclocking my 4790K past 4.8GHz-8pin CPU connector+the option to overvolt in the bios)
  • Use my Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII with dead onboard audio

Now to be clear, I was looking at just getting a random $50 sound card for this motherboard, but considering that I've had less problems with my H87M (especially when overclocking oddly enough) I just don't think its worth it. And apparently other people have had audio issues with the Z97 Sabertooth as well.

BTW: The problem with most sound cards is no front panel HD/AC97 audio header. And my current (and mostly good) sound cards are PCI or ISA.

Edit: The i5 4440 is dead BTW-apparently Haswell can be undervolted to death.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I say the H87M Pro just because it actually has working audio. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Use the PCI card and just plug the headphones into the back

damn no PCI slots H87 then

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Use the PCI card and just plug the headphones into the back

Its PCI not PCIe which is what I need.

PMSL

I'd vote H87M as well. It sounds like you'll fix one thing with your Sabertooth and then something else will end up breaking.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Its PCI not PCIe which is what I need.

I assumed it had a PCI slot 

H87 it is

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd vote H87M as well. It sounds like you'll fix one thing with your Sabertooth and then something else will end up breaking.

Probably like my P5Q Deluxe-its got the same problem, and yet my cheaper P5Q Turbo (and P5KVM-before I fried it) had their audio work without issues (though the P5Q Turbo has lost 2 RAM slots and the latch on another). Maybe I shouldn't have gone with one of Asus's higher end motherboards again.

PMSL

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

You should sell both and get a decent board

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You should sell both and get a decent board

I suppose I could use my QX6850 (less messing around than my Xeon), and my P5Q Deluxe does have PCI slots for the sound cards. I'll keep that in mind.

Its hard to tell if its worth getting a PCIe soundcard for it. I really don't want to spend money on a motherboard that is supposed to be highly durable and yet has developed problems before a budget H87M motherboard.

BTW, I was using the headphone jack on the back of the screen-I've only ever used monitor/screen speakers when I didn't have any alternative.

PMSL

Uhh dude, a lot of sound cards have conventional front panel audio. My ASUS D1 has one. Asus' cheapest PCIe (DGX) has one too. I think you should just get one since it's a lot cheaper than buying a new motherboard.

Its hard to tell if its worth getting a PCIe soundcard for it. I really don't want to spend money on a motherboard that is supposed to be highly durable and yet has developed problems before a budget H87M motherboard.

BTW, I was using the headphone jack on the back of the screen-I've only ever used monitor/screen speakers when I didn't have any alternative.

I'd definitely recommend getting a sound card. They're robust and better EM shielded than integrated audio. I bought my ASUS D1 from 2009 and it's still kicking like a mule as if it's new even when I've mated it to like 5 different motherboards without even bothering with anti-static wristbands. 

They also have all the ports you'd need; FP audio internally, and on the backplate there's AUX, 5.1, SPDIF and even optical if you're old school. And ofc you get the added bonus of superior, superior audio quality too and a dedicated ASIO driver. 

I'd definitely recommend getting a sound card. They're robust and better EM shielded than integrated audio. I bought my ASUS D1 from 2009 and it's still kicking like a mule as if it's new even when I've mated it to like 5 different motherboards without even bothering with anti-static wristbands. 

They also have all the ports you'd need; FP audio internally, and on the backplate there's AUX, 5.1, SPDIF and even optical if you're old school. And ofc you get the added bonus of superior, superior audio quality too and a dedicated ASIO driver. 

I'll see which of my older components are worth selling then-and I know of soundcard benefits-I'd have been using my Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (2001) from the day I got the Sabertooth its audio quality is that much better than onboard audio. Although it does help more with my older computer as it it allows me to use EAX and take a bit of the load off the CPU in games that support it.

PMSL

Probably like my P5Q Deluxe-its got the same problem, and yet my cheaper P5Q Turbo (and P5KVM-before I fried it) had their audio work without issues (though the P5Q Turbo has lost 2 RAM slots and the latch on another). Maybe I shouldn't have gone with one of Asus's higher end motherboards again.

I've had zero issues with my Z97 Maximus Hero since I bought it on launch :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.