Need a Motherboard upgrade already...

Go to solution Solved by X1XNobleX1X,

I'm fine with a B150M Motherboard. But I don't really know much about there models if there are any drawbacks to them.

Are you saying your budget for $600 is for motherboard only or for: CPU, motherboard and RAM?

If you don't need feature rich motherboards B150 motherboards are fine (Budget/business)

Like the Gigabyte B150M is the motherboards I use for all my clients.

Relatively inexpensive, but has all the PCI-E slots you need. No SLI though.

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5516

So I just got a new network card like 10 mins ago, Went to put it in my System to find that my system does not have a 4x PCIe slot :P

And my question is, I need a motherboard that can support AT LEAST a 4x and a 16x PCIe slot, Supports Skylake CPU's and DDR3 RAM*

Got any good motherboards in mind? and I don't have a lot of cash at the moment (Budget $600 NZ)

*DDR3 RAM is what I would prefer at the moment, If the motherboard has DDR4 slots you may post it still :) )

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

There are only a few motherboards that will support DDR3 for Skylake. Most of these are B150M motherboards.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

There are only a few motherboards that will support DDR3 for Skylake. Most of these are B150M motherboards.

I'm fine with a B150M Motherboard. But I don't really know much about there models if there are any drawbacks to them.

Are you saying your budget for $600 is for motherboard only or for: CPU, motherboard and RAM?

If you don't need feature rich motherboards B150 motherboards are fine (Budget/business)

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

yeah thats like 400, but I dont know how much importing stuff costs to get there, so Idk actual prices...

What CPU do you have?

i7 6700, Not over clockable and Im not planning to OC in years to come...

$600 for Motherboard, But if I need to get DDR4 Ram I would like the ram to be in the price too. I can go a bit over the budget though.

That Motherboard though looks perfect for me, I like the look and I don't even care if it has no SLI lol. Also like that it does have a M.2 slot

EDIT: Just found one at my Local dealer, Good budget price for me. Supports DDR3 RAM, Has the slots. Only thing I hate is the rainbow front panel holes lol

What motherboard did you buy?

Asus H150M-A D3

So I just got a new network card like 10 mins ago, Went to put it in my System to find that my system does not have a 4x PCIe slot :P

And my question is, I need a motherboard that can support AT LEAST a 4x and a 16x PCIe slot, Supports Skylake CPU's and DDR3 RAM*

Got any good motherboards in mind? and I don't have a lot of cash at the moment (Budget $600 NZ)

*DDR3 RAM is what I would prefer at the moment, If the motherboard has DDR4 slots you may post it still :) )

And you don't have an open 8x slot either? 

because you can fit a 4x card in anything bigger, too.

Technically you can probably even jam it in a 1x slot, if you saw out part of it. It's still plenty fast at 1GB/s (assuming it's PCIe 3.0)

EDIT: i don't recommend destroying PCIe slots, I added that just for reference

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Technically you can probably even jam it in a 1x slot, if you saw out part of it. It's still plenty fast at 1GB/s (assuming it's PCIe 3.0)

I like the idea but I like having warranty on my Motherboards lol. And yes there is no 8x slot, its 16x 1x 1x :P

neither does linus he has a video were he did it...

That comment reminds me of when he sawed a part off a GTX 980 so it could fit in a server mobo... I cringed so hard I nearly cried :D

That comment reminds me of when he sawed a part off a GTX 980 so it could fit in a server mobo... I cringed so hard I nearly cried :D

yeah the old motherboard getting cut was much less painful

I probably learned that info from him, too.

He does a lot of stupid stuff like that though, Still baffled how he always gets it to work.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

i7 6700, Not over clockable and Im not planning to OC in years to come...

$600 for Motherboard, But if I need to get DDR4 Ram I would like the ram to be in the price too. I can go a bit over the budget though.

That Motherboard though looks perfect for me, I like the look and I don't even care if it has no SLI lol. Also like that it does have a M.2 slot

EDIT: Just found one at my Local dealer, Good budget price for me. Supports DDR3 RAM, Has the slots. Only thing I hate is the rainbow front panel holes lol

Asus H150M-A D3

You can use a PCIe 4x card in a 16X slot.

Still baffled how he always gets it to work.

trail and error my friend (the wonders of video editing probably also help)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

You can use a PCIe 4x card in a 16X slot.

I did know this but my mobo only has 1 x16 being used by my GPU

I did know this but my mobo only has 1 x16 being used by my GPU

Sorry, the image I looked at wasn't for your board.

I will say if you cut the back off your PCIe 1x slot, you can put a PCIe 4x expansion card in there and it will most likely work, but don't.