Skylake non-K OC rumor doesnt make any sense

Why do ppl get so worked up over base clock overclocking on Skylake with AsRock boards, when i always could and since a long time always overclock my non-k cpu's over the base clock. My 4790 non K, overclcks its base clock on my Z97 board, and its been like this always for me with non k cpu's on the Z something or OC able chipset

So whats so special about Skylake doing that, any generation of intel and even locked AMD cpu's has done base clock overclocking so far

Why do ppl get so worked up over base clock overclocking on Skylake with AsRock boards, when i always could and since a long time always overclock my non-k cpu's over the base clock. My 4790 non K, overclcks its base clock on my Z97 board, and its been like this always for me with non k cpu's on the Z something or OC able chipset

So whats so special about Skylake doing that, any generation of intel and even locked AMD cpu's has done base clock overclocking so far

Skylake doesn't couple the BCLK with PCI clock and other clocks in the system, which means you can OC with BCLK without impacting other parts negatively, just the CPU.

Skylake doesn't couple the BCLK with PCI clock and other clocks in the system, which means you can OC with BCLK without impacting other parts negatively, just the CPU.

But why are so many ppl 'OMG we can overclock locked intel cpu's' when you can do it always. And if you dont have any PCI-E cards or PCI cards in your system, you can actually get rll stable BCLK OC's on Haswell, Ivy or Sand bridge cpu's

But why are so many ppl 'OMG we can overclock locked intel cpu's' when you can do it always. And if you dont have any PCI-E cards or PCI cards in your system, you can actually get rll stable BCLK OC's on Haswell, Ivy or Sand bridge cpu's

But now you can oc via bclk and have a gpu running,thats the important thing.Before,with Haswell for example,it could lead to system instability

Because most people, believe it or not, overclock for performance. If you're a gamer, you can't really throw your GPU out in order to OC. That's why K series are so popular among gamers, because they're easily overclockable without negatively impacting system stability.

Now you simply have more options without having to worry about your GPU or other parts. And it is glorious...

You could OC BCLK with haswell and past generations yes, but not far whatsoever.

The K series SKU had more BCLK tuning, but the non K series CPU's were typically limited to 103-105 BCLK (sometimes a bit higher on exotic cooling methods)

With this "rumor" you can now do 150+ BCLK on these CPU's, resulting in crazy 5+ ghz overclocks.

By the way it's not a rumor WHATSOEVER

1560805.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

pretty much this.

or in less techy terms:

you can turn up the bclk easier because you're no longer affecting the rest of your system, resutling in better overclocks on non-k parts.

You could OC BCLK with haswell and past generations yes, but not far whatsoever.

The K series SKU had more BCLK tuning, but the non K series CPU's were typically limited to 103-105 BCLK (sometimes a bit higher on exotic cooling methods)

With this "rumor" you can now do 150+ BCLK on these CPU's, resulting in crazy 5+ ghz overclocks.

By the way it's not a rumor WHATSOEVER

1560805.jpg

is that a 6.4 Ghz overclock1!?!??!?!

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

is that a 6.4 Ghz overclock1!?!??!?!

Yes it's currently the fastest Cinebench R15 dual core submission on the planet right now on Liquid nitrogen cooling

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yes it's currently the fastest Cinebench R15 dual core submission on the planet right now on Liquid nitrogen cooling

oh my god... 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

oh my god... 

This is why people are so excited about the BCLK unlock stuff.

Previously before all this stuff happened, the fastest dual core Cinebench R15 submission in the world was a Xeon x5698, from the socket 1366 days when you could still OC the crap out of these dual cores before intel locked everything down.

It's quite a big deal.

My locked i5 can do 106.9mhz (quite high, normally you don't get this far at all) as a baseclock. (But after 7-8 months of this as a daily driver, it got flaky as hell)

It also takes my memory/pcie and other values higher, cos their TIED to the baseclock.(Hence it getting more and more flakey over time),

ie: Asmedia USB chipset dying first taking two USB 3.0's with it, then my 2nd pcie slot started being screwy with my sound card,...

Reverting my BCLK back to normal, stopped all this and now its back to normal.

Skylake, UP the BCLK all you want, nothing else is affected but the CPU, more stable, less prone to random errors and hardware failure.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

No, BCLK in those is also base clock of PCI, PCI-e, SATA, RAM, USB,...

Thus you can't go that far as there'll be instability at any point

well sata isnt that big of a problem for reaching stability, and RAM, well my ram at least (love hyperX) does any frequency i want it to be. Orginially 2400Mhz DDR3, can also run at 2204Mhz, or 1894Mhz. As long as you use a preset below your max ram frequency and then up the BCLK its gonna be fine, as long as it doesnt go over 2400Mhz.

However, i know its a horrible horrible horrible idea doing that to your RAM, its likely never gonna be fully stable, and one day fail on you