Need help overclocking

Hi

I've been reading guides on the internet about overclocking, but I don't understand somethings. So, I would like someone to do a step by step tutorial for me (a beginner) of how to overclock a CPU

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.17GHz), btw not a stock cooler on it

Motherboard - Asrock G41M-GS3
RAM - 4GB DDr3 (1333MHz)
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GT630

Tell me if you need any other information, thank you!

Overclockin is (as the name tells) changing the clock, which results in higher frequency.

Frequency is the combination of Base clock and Multiplier. You can change the base clock almost in all cases but most likely it will cause the instability of the whole system, as baseclock affects all of the components. The Multiplier however affects only CPU and thus does not interfere with other components clock, which is just more stable. Thr problem here is that your CPU does not have unlocked multiplier, which means you cannot change it and overclock your CPU (unless you change base clock, which I strongly not recommend)

Ok, so the only safe option is to get a new cpu with an unlocked multiplier

No. This is 775. What the above poster said is only correct on sockets LGA1155 & LGA1150 (and 1151 to an extent).

@LOXPI I have a guide in my signature that might be worth a look at :)

No. This is 775. What the above poster said is only correct on sockets LGA1155 & LGA1150 (and 1151 to an extent).

@LOXPI I have a guide in my signature that might be worth a look at :)

Ok, I'll take a look at that now  :D

First of all, you must make sure everything in your computer a can handle overclocking, even though you are not overclocking them. For example, if I want to overclock my gpu, I must make sure that my cpu, motherboard and ram can support overclocking before I overclock the gpu. This is to ensure better stability in the system while overclocking. And your psu must have enough wattage to spare to overclock, as you will need to give more power to the overclocked component.

Before you overclock, you must make sure your cpu can support overclocking. You will know if it does when the cpu has a " k " behind its name ( eg. i5 4690k ). If it does not have a " k "  ( eg. i5 4690 ), then the cpu is locked and cannot be overclocked. Another thing to make sure is that you have a motherboard that has an unlocked chipset that supports overclocking ( eg. Z97 ). The " z " in intel chipsets means that the chipset and the motherboard can support overclocking. If the chipset is anything other that a " z " chipset ( eg. H97 ), then the chipset is locked and cannot support overclocking.

To overclock the cpu, go into the motherboard bios, find the overclocking section and increase either the base clock or multiplier to increase the core clock. Increase it until you get a satisfactory overclock and you're done. If you desire a higher core clock or your desired core clock cannot be achieved, increase the core voltage to stabilise the cpu by giving it more power. Do not increase it too high, as you can over-volt the cpu and damage it. Do note that temperatures can increase by quite a lot when you increase the core voltage, so good cooling and airflow is important.

Another thing that can affect your overclock is if you have a " lucky " cpu chip or not. What this means is that not all cpus are created equally due to the manufacturing process. For example, I have two cpus that are the same and I want to overclock them to 4ghz. One of the cpus can overclock to 4ghz with ease, while the other one may need additional voltage to achieve the same overclock, or it may not be able to reach 4ghz at all.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Your BIOS will probably be fairly basic given that it's a G41 board. But you might get an extra 200-300MHz from your CPU.

I can't seem to find the FSB settings

post-261842-0-61348700-1452082864_thumb.

I can't seem to find the FSB settings

Overclock mode -> Manual

Change the value that says 333 to 350 :)

& Disable spread spectrum

See how it goes

Should give you 3.325Ghz

Overclock mode -> Manual

Change the value that says 333 to 350 :)

& Disable spread spectrum

See how it goes

Should give you 3.325Ghz

Ok, should I change any other settings and is there a good stresstest I could try?

I just booted in to Windows, but only one of my cores got a higher frequency

post-261842-0-74199000-1452083810_thumb.

I just booted in to Windows, but only one of my cores got a higher frequency

They both did. Check cpu-z. The first part is the model number (E8500 @ 3.16GHz) the second part is the clock speed.

They both did. Check cpu-z. The first part is the model number (E8500 @ 3.16GHz) the second part is the clock speed.

Nope, still 3.16GHz

Nope, still 3.16GHz

try to put the cpu under load and watch the Frequency section on the lower left corner of cpuz

Nope, still 3.16GHz

Hmm. Can you try set that ratio CMOS setting to 9.5? if possible. not all boards support 0.5 steps (your cpu is a 9.5x multi so it uses 0.5 step, unsupported boards will run 9x).

Hmm. Can you try set that ratio CMOS setting to 9.5? if possible. not all boards support 0.5 steps (your cpu is a 9.5x multi so it uses 0.5 step, unsupported boards will run 9x).

I think that I am able the do that, I'll try as soon as I get home to my PC

Ok I changed the CMOS setting to x 9.5, it shows now that the multiplier is x9.5 in CPU-Z

What now?

Ok I changed the CMOS setting to x 9.5, it shows now that the multiplier is x9.5 in CPU-Z

What now?

Well your 350x9.5 overclock applied. But you could try for more.

Give 370 a go (just over 3.5). :)

If 370 boots up I'd give it a stress test using Prime95 for an hour (do smallFFT) if it doesn't crash try 400 :)

Well your 350x9.5 overclock applied. But you could try for more.

Give 370 a go (just over 3.5). :)

If 370 boots up I'd give it a stress test using Prime95 for an hour (do smallFFT) if it doesn't crash try 400 :)

Crap :/

It doesn't post

Any suggestions?

Edit: Never mind, was just derpy me :D

Does it boot with 3.5GHz? :)

I don't actually know, because when I was doing the stress test, it told me in the task manager that it was still on 3.17GHz. So I turned the PC off and now it doesn't post again :/

I'll wait a bit like last time and see if it posts

I don't actually know, because when I was doing the stress test, it told me in the task manager that it was still on 3.17GHz. So I turned the PC off and now it doesn't post again :/

I'll wait a bit like last time and see if it posts

might need to do like 360 instead, always use cpu-z btw task manager is rubbish :)

might need to do like 360 instead, always use cpu-z btw task manager is rubbish :)

Ok, I'll use CPU-Z from now on, but it still doesn't post with 360, I'll wait (again)

Ok, I'll use CPU-Z from now on, but it still doesn't post with 360, I'll wait (again)

Your board was only really designed to run 1333 at best so you're pusing it a bit, but if you can get 350 to run 24/7 you've still gained something :)

Your board was only really designed to run 1333 at best so you're pusing it a bit, but if you can get 350 to run 24/7 you've still gained something :)

True, I'm just hoping that I'll be able to get in to the bios