Nikon announces D5 - new Full Frame flagship camera

I feel like the D500 was a bigger surprise.

Yeah true

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not sure what to think of this...

I will reserve judgement until I see tests and results :D

Same here, while I am tempted to trade in my D4 for the D5 (especially as I've learned they use the same batteries and I don't need to invest in new ones):

• I already have a great camera for 4K video, so 4K in the D5 is not a big incentive
  • Going to wait for other people to actually test the 4K video quality, waiting for reviews
  • Will see how the 3 million ISO performs

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This video doesn't really impress me about the quality of the D5's video capabilities.  When the D4 was first announced they had promotional videos of the D4's 1080p capabilities... but when actual users received their pre-orders people found that the D4's 1080p was horrible.  So I'll wait until someone like Philip Bloom gets his hands on one and does some tests.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This video doesn't really impress me about the quality of the D5's video capabilities.  When the D4 was first announced they had promotional videos of the D4's 1080p capabilities... but when actual users received their pre-orders people found that the D4's 1080p was horrible.  So I'll wait until someone like Philip Bloom gets his hands on one and does some tests.

D5 sucks for video apparently 3 minutes max recording and it doesn't use the full sensor.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Gotta love how it can only shoot 4K video for 3 minutes at a time...

Black Magic Ursa Mini or Sony PXW FS5, FS7 FTW!

For the cost of the D5 body ($6500.00), someone who really wants to shoot quality 4K might as well spend an extra $1000-2000 more and get one of the cameras I just mentioned.

The Ursa Mini 4K body is $3000.00, add an additional $1000 for the V/Gold mount battery system + charger, an extra $600 or so for CFast 2.0 cards, and some cash on a couple of nice EF-mount lenses, would come to just about $6500.00.

D5 sucks for video apparently 3 minutes max recording and it doesn't use the full sensor.

Well I already have a great camera for 4K video, if I upgrade to the D5 it won't be for 4K.

I want to see how the 3 million ISO performs compared to the Sony A7sII.

I feel like the D500 was a bigger surprise.

It was a bigger surprise, I had thought Nikon had abandoned the APS-C pro level body with the D300s and merged the line into the D7x00 series.  The D500 looks like it will be a hit with many more togs than the D5.

Black Magic Ursa Mini or Sony PXW FS5, FS7 FTW!

For the cost of the D5 body ($6500.00), someone who really wants to shoot quality 4K might as well spend an extra $1000-2000 more and get one of the cameras I just mentioned.

The Ursa Mini 4K body is $3000.00, add an additional $1000 for the V/Gold mount battery system + charger, an extra $600 or so for CFast 2.0 cards, and some cash on a couple of nice EF-mount lenses, would come to just about $6500.00.

4K video is really just there for marketing purposes on the D5, even if it was decent at 4K one would still have to be a fool to buy it just for that. Both the D5 and D500 are primarily directed at sports and wildlife photographers.

Canon 80D with 4K recording to compete. Huzzah!

I doubt this will happen. I feel like Canon is going to try to push everyone onto the EOS C cameras for higher quality video. Look at the rather significant price drops on the C 100 and 300

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

It was a bigger surprise, I had thought Nikon had abandoned the APS-C pro level body with the D300s and merged the line into the D7x00 series.  The D500 looks like it will be a hit with many more togs than the D5.

I'm happy that there's a second (new) sports/wildlife cam that people can go to instead of being forced to buy the 7D2 or getting an older cam.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14