Beyerdynamic DT770 80Ohm v AKG K701

Nykie

So hello guys, I've decided to swap my Iphone 6 earbuds for a proper pair of premium headset.

My question is which ones, I've searched a lot of audiophile forums but I guess they are too in depth and I don't understand everything.

I'll be using them for :

GAMING: CounterStrike:GO, LeagueofLegends, but basically a lot of new released games (FC4, B4, Battlefront, GTA5, Fallout4, Witcher...)

MUSIC: I listen to a lot of Trance, Deep House, any form of electronic music in general and little bit of HipHop...

Price: Beyer  = 160€

AKG    =  170€

I was considering buying 250 Ohms' DT990 (149€) too, but I've read about that, I would need to buy an amplifier to get the best out of them but that is + 100€.

Cheers, Nykie

CPU : i5 4460 Procesor 3.2 GHz GPU : AMD Sapphire R9 390 8GB RAM : Corsair Vegnance Pro 8GB 1886Mhz HDD : 1T WD 7200Rpm KEYBOARD : Ozone Battle Strike - MX brown switches MOUSE : Logitech G402 HEADSET : Apple Iphone Earbuds MOUSEPAD : Roccat Taito King Size MONITOR : Samsung 24' 1080p 60Hz 

So hello guys, I've decided to swap my Iphone 6 earbuds for a proper pair of premium headset.

My question is which ones, I've searched a lot of audiophile forums but I guess they are too in depth and I don't understand everything.

I'll be using them for :

GAMING: CounterStrike:GO, LeagueofLegends, but basically a lot of new released games (FC4, B4, Battlefront, GTA5, Fallout4, Witcher...)

MUSIC: I listen to a lot of Trance, Deep House, any form of electronic music in general and little bit of HipHop...

Price: Beyer  = 160€

AKG    =  170€

I was considering buying 250 Ohms' DT990 (149€) too, but I've read about that, I would need to buy an amplifier to get the best out of them but that is + 100€.

Cheers, Nykie

nvm i read it wrong

I would go with Beyerdynamics, since I've heard the 250 Ohm versions, they are decent, the sound is just right imho. Can't speak for AKG though.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I have used both the dt770, dt990pro and k702 (very similar to k701) for extensive periods of time, and the best solution would be the dt990 pro. I would pair it with a fiio e10k if you could, although it would be fine on a pc's default sound to be honest. 

I don't really like the dt770 much, the bass sounds pretty muddy and the mid range is pretty sheltered. Of course it will still be much better than some 5 quid pair, but still. Please take into account my bias towards open headphones, which may make me sound particularly harsh about the dt770.

dt990 pro fit all your conditions, although if you think you need an amp for the dt990's and not for the k701's, I would be careful about that, because although the impedance is low (like 62 or something ohms?), the sensitivity is also very low, meaning you do need some power to get volume out of them - they are definitely harder to power than the dt990's.

For your genres of music I'd probably shy away from the k701's and go more towards the dt990's, although the dt770's would probably fufill your needs also.

Thanks,

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I have used both the dt770, dt990pro and k702 (very similar to k701) for extensive periods of time, and the best solution would be the dt990 pro. I would pair it with a fiio e10k if you could, although it would be fine on a pc's default sound to be honest. 

I don't really like the dt770 much, the bass sounds pretty muddy and the mid range is pretty sheltered. Of course it will still be much better than some 5 quid pair, but still. Please take into account my bias towards open headphones, which may make me sound particularly harsh about the dt770.

dt990 pro fit all your conditions, although if you think you need an amp for the dt990's and not for the k701's, I would be careful about that, because although the impedance is low (like 62 or something ohms?), the sensitivity is also very low, meaning you do need some power to get volume out of them - they are definitely harder to power than the dt990's.

For your genres of music I'd probably shy away from the k701's and go more towards the dt990's, although the dt770's would probably fufill your needs also.

Thanks,

Bro, really thanks, that's exactly what I needed, some straight forward opinion about the models..

I'll look up the DT990's and consider some other options from Audio Tehnica, I'm leaning more towards comfort then pure premium sound (all around), so I guess Beyer is the way to go then..

Thanks! 

CPU : i5 4460 Procesor 3.2 GHz GPU : AMD Sapphire R9 390 8GB RAM : Corsair Vegnance Pro 8GB 1886Mhz HDD : 1T WD 7200Rpm KEYBOARD : Ozone Battle Strike - MX brown switches MOUSE : Logitech G402 HEADSET : Apple Iphone Earbuds MOUSEPAD : Roccat Taito King Size MONITOR : Samsung 24' 1080p 60Hz 

Bro, really thanks, that's exactly what I needed, some straight forward opinion about the models..

I'll look up the DT990's and consider some other options from Audio Tehnica, I'm leaning more towards comfort then pure premium sound (all around), so I guess Beyer is the way to go then..

Thanks! 

For comfort you cannot go wrong with any of the options you have asked about. I have worn both the dt990pro and k702 for 10+ hours at a time with 0 discomfort, it helps that they just made the k702's headband flat with no bumps, I wouldn't factor comfort into the equation with your choices as they are all great in that department.

Essentially, with either choice you will be perfectly happy, so just see which features you 'need' to have, so for me I wanted a removable cable, which the k702 had, but the dt990 didnt, and that's how I decided. 

Good luck!

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

DT770 is generally better for electronic music as a lot of people stamp AKG's sound signature as "bass anemic"