So I bought a supposedly "brand new" Maximus VI Impact.

And I'm pissed.

Why? It arrived in a beautiful ROG box. I was happy as hell. Finally, my ITX build would happen. But then, as always, I inspected my board before installing...

And guess what... 

http://imgur.com/a/LtW3c

Yeah, dead on arrival, and apparently used. Looks like someone spilled coolant or something. And it was from a computer store... Now I can only hope that they don't turn their backs on me and honor their warranty, otherwise I'm screwed. Royally. In many ways.

Maximus VI is probably the only ITX board that supports SATA3 M.2 drives, Maximus VII only supports PCI-E NGFF drives. And I kinda like my Crucial M550...

All I can say is good luck with Asus's RMA if the store tells you to go away.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

If they claim you did that to your board...wow.

Sorry you had to experience this and hope it turns out for the best. You should complain about it on their facebook, twitter, newegg and amazon pages. That always gets a company to stir to bad support/reviews.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

my tip: Go in mad crazy and kinda loud tell them that this is the biggest BS you've ever seen. After then kinda calm and tell them about your Problem so they will treat you Special from the first second

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

best of luck with the rma/return man...

A lot of times they won't eve accept boards w/ bent pins...

:(

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yeah, well... Shipment was received 75 minutes ago, 55 minutes ago I asked for a refund/replacement. There's just no way that I'm gonna let that slide, especially since the board bears clear signs of use and abuse. 

For example, new screw holes on a NEW motherboard shouldn't look like that, don't ya think?

post-272025-0-83213500-1451996374_thumb.

If they refuse to refund you instantly, make a scene in the store. Make sure as many other customers as possible hear you and understand what happened. That way if they don't do what they are supposed to they'll make a terrible impression in front of all those customers and they'll likely just give you what you want. A friend of mine did that successfully when a store tried repeatedly to sell him a refurbished TV saying it was new.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For example, new screw holes on a NEW motherboard shouldn't look like that, don't ya think?

I swapped case after 3 years of use and let me tell you, my screw holes don't look that bad xD

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If they refuse to refund you instantly, make a scene in the store. Make sure as many other customers as possible hear you and understand what happened. That way if they don't do what they are supposed to they'll make a terrible impression in front of all those customers and they'll likely just give you what you want. A friend of mine did that successfully when a store tried repeatedly to sell him a refurbished TV saying it was new.

Or you can just sit in there forever until they give you a refund

I swapped case after 3 years of use and let me tell you, my screw holes don't look that bad xD

Same here... I went through dozens of motherboards and I've never seen one abused that badly. Seriously, I don't know if you can see it on photos, but there's some green stuff on the pins and the third photo clearly shows there's something strange under the socket. Coolant? Water? I don't know. 

For some reason, I think they took the new board outta the box and put in an old one.

And so do I.That's too much of damage to be considered accidental. 

Where did you buy it from?

Local store, mostly because they were the only ones that had it in stock... Z87 motherboards sadly aren't all the rage anymore...

Looking at the screw holes, It looks like the screws have been taken In and out several times. Looks like theyve tried to sell this thing several times...

Looking at the screw holes, It looks like the screws have been taken In and out several times. Looks like theyve tried to sell this thing several times...

Or someone had that motherboard, destroyed it and replaced it with another one at the store. The rest of the stuff in the box is originally packaged, and the board was advertised "brand new".

Same here... I went through dozens of motherboards and I've never seen one abused that badly. Seriously, I don't know if you can see it on photos, but there's some green stuff on the pins and the third photo clearly shows there's something strange under the socket. Coolant? Water? I don't know. 

And so do I.That's too much of damage to be considered accidental. 

Local store, mostly because they were the only ones that had it in stock... Z87 motherboards sadly aren't all the rage anymore...

Like 99% the Z97 board I bought from Craigslist used is in 500 times better condition than the board you bought...

Call me paranoid, but that's why I always video the unboxing and inspection of new hardware.

Call me paranoid, but that's why I always video the unboxing and inspection of new hardware.

That's what I did. Extensive video and photo documentation. Sadly, the video doesn't show all the stuff. Shitty camera is shitty. ;)

That must suck, wonder why they did it if it was Z87?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

And I'm pissed.

Why? It arrived in a beautiful ROG box. I was happy as hell. Finally, my ITX build would happen. But then, as always, I inspected my board before installing...

And guess what... 

http://imgur.com/a/LtW3c

Yeah, dead on arrival, and apparently used. Looks like someone spilled coolant or something. And it was from a computer store... Now I can only hope that they don't turn their backs on me and honor their warranty, otherwise I'm screwed. Royally. In many ways.

Maximus VI is probably the only ITX board that supports SATA3 M.2 drives, Maximus VII only supports PCI-E NGFF drives. And I kinda like my Crucial M550...

It's ASUS... i mean seriously... it's ASUS..

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Wow @ the advice to make a scene in store.

Just return it as dead on arrival. Or, if it is a decent retailer, send it back saying you don't want it anymore. Choose your battles, you either resolve it easily or make it a difficult and hostile situation.

Wow @ the advice to make a scene in store.

Just return it as dead on arrival. Or, if it is a decent retailer, send it back saying you don't want it anymore. Choose your battles, you either resolve it easily or make it a difficult and hostile situation.

That's what I'm going to do. I'm not gonna argue, I'm not a confrontational person. Also, it was bought with a credit card, from their webstore, with delivery (thank you EU laws!) so I have quite a large number of possible resolutions - worst case scenario would be a court case, which would be a win, as they sold me something I didn't purchase (bought a brand new motherboard, received used and broken one).

From what they said on the phone, it seems that they kinda underdstand that someone screwed up on their side and I'm hoping for a positive resolution.

However, they indicated they want to ship me a Maximus VII instead. Which means "goodbye my beloved 512GB SATA M.2 SSD..."

That's what I'm going to do. I'm not gonna argue, I'm not a confrontational person. Also, it was bought with a credit card, from their webstore, with delivery (thank you EU laws!) so I have quite a large number of possible resolutions - worst case scenario would be a court case, which would be a win, as they sold me something I didn't purchase (bought a brand new motherboard, received used and broken one).

From what they said on the phone, it seems that they kinda underdstand that someone screwed up on their side and I'm hoping for a positive resolution.

However, they indicated they want to ship me a Maximus VII instead. Which means "goodbye my beloved 512GB SATA M.2 SSD..."

eBay the SSD and use it as an opportunity to upgrade somehow.

eBay the SSD and use it as an opportunity to upgrade somehow.

I wish I could do that. First of all, I'm not gonna get much for that SSD, maybe $50-75 used. Who would buy one with over 13k hours and ~100TB writes on it, if you can get a new one for $189? Especially since it's mostly useless for the general public and bought only by people who need them. PCI-Express replacement if I go the Maximus VII route (something like Pro 950 512GB) is $349 from Newegg, for me it's more like 400 EUR. So that's... well, right out. Can't justify it. Going without M.2 or with a small M.2 PCI-E will force me to drop one of my remaining drives... Which is kinda no-go. Theoretically I could go for AsRock Z97E-ITX/ac or Asus Z97I, but both have some flaws that disqualify them in my eyes, starting with M.2 slot placement, which makes any airflow to the drive impossible, and those puppies can go hot. Also, it's not like I'll have much choice with NCase when it comes to airflow.

As far, as the rig is concerned... Can't really go higher with the CPU, as I'm limited by Haswell platform anyway, and there's barely anything over i7-4765T anyway (I wish I had an X99 ITX, however that's another 350€ I'd have to spend + whatever's needed for a CPU, and I'd have to forget about silence with their 100W+ TDPs... RAM's maxed out, a better GPU... Well, I've got a gaming rig I haven't touched in months, I just clean it up from time to time... Already got a good PSU, even cables are already sleeved exactly like I wanted them to be.

Yeah, as you probably guessed, I spend months planning every build. :P

Summing up: This whole situation doesn't make me happy, as literally almost everything here was  planned to the last screw... And it's literally either Maximus VI without any mods or VII and PCI-E M.2 SSD...

So, the situation got finally resolved. 

Yesterday in the evening I received a brand new (this time for real) Asus Maximus VII board along with an apology from the store - turns out that the chain of fuck-ups was longer than I'd expected.

First off, the store didn't check the board before they'd shipped it out to me, so they had no idea about the damage to the board itself, and that the board itself was incomplete as well (something I'd realised when I got my Maximus VII). The board was ordered through their distribution centre, who ordered it from somewhere else. So it's possible that the chain of "it looks like brand new, so everything must be OK with it" was going on for some time.