What socket is future-proof?

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

What do you mean by future proof? In terms of support from Intel? A typical life span is 2 generations.

Both current platforms (LGA1151 and LGA2011-3) should see 1 more CPU before we get a new platform.

Outgoing or EOL (End of Life) platforms like LGA1150 will be available for a few more months.

But hardware like drives, graphics cards and peripherals will support it for a long while unless a drastic standard change occurs (i.e. going from the old IDE/PATA type to SATA). RAM upgrades are usually available as well, you can still easily buy DDR2.

Hey,

I just wanted to ask you guys what Intel socket should I invest in now? I mean, in future I want to buy some serious coolers and even CPUs but changing motherboards every time doesn't seem to be the best solution.. Any tips? I'm running on LGA 1150 motherboard right now.. Can I buy some accesories to it now or wait till I have to buy a new one and then start with cooling, overclocking and other stuff?
Thanks for answers.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

I invested in a 4790k and expect it to last a while. I mean look at the 2500k, that thing is still kicking to this day

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

X99 is future proof right now aka 2011-3

There are plenty of excellent modern processor choices for LGA 1150.  Unless you're doing highly threaded workloads, there's no real reason to move off of it. 

The biggest difference between LGA 1150 and LGA 1151 is the latter uses the new memory standard, DDR4.  Also LGA 1150 has less support for the latest storage technologies like M.2.  Both of these are pretty minor differences in my view unless your needs are at the cutting edge. 

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

There isn't one. However, Intel has been doing better in terms of longevity than AMD has. I'm still on a 2500k (@4.4Ghz) and I haven't run into any real FPS issues. A newer CPU would indeed run better, but I don't see it being worth it just yet.

LGA 775 is still good today for alot of stuff lmao

Pick anything recent, buy the best i7 for it, and you'll be rockin out for quite a few years my friend

Shipping sucks

There isn't one. However, Intel has been doing better in terms of longevity than AMD has. I'm still on a 2500k (@4.4Ghz) and I haven't run into any real FPS issues. A newer CPU would indeed run better, but I don't see it being worth it just yet.

No Intel has been releasing more sockets then AMD has been... So AMD is future proof(if in the sence the socket will last for a long time).... But yes Intel is better.

There are plenty of excellent modern processor choices for LGA 1150.  Unless you're doing highly threaded workloads, there's no real reason to move off of it. 

The biggest difference between LGA 1150 and LGA 1151 is the latter uses the new memory standard, DDR4.  Also LGA 1150 has less support for the latest storage technologies like M.2.  Both of these are pretty minor differences in my view unless your needs are at the cutting edge. 

Great! I have some DDR3 sticks and M.2 makes no sense to me.. So I can keep all my stuff with me! Thanks!

No Intel has been releasing more sockets then AMD has been... So AMD is future proof(if in the sence the socket will last for a long time).... But yes Intel is better.

I'm the best example of Intel, nVidia and PlayStation fanboy on the planet so.. ;)

I'm the best example of Intel, nVidia and PlayStation fanboy on the planet so.. ;)

Well the question you posed isn't that great and am3+ is on its way out, and its never good to be a fan girl about anything.... Like is use osx or Linux if they didn't look so bad... Silvery task bars were so win XP...

LGA 775 is still good today for alot of stuff lmao

Pick anything recent, buy the best i7 for it, and you'll be rockin out for quite a few years my friend

Because I haven't really gotten around to gaming with my x79 build (having too much fun getting 350K-415K PPD folding) I can agree. My QX6800 and I are still AAA gaming at 1080P and 30FPS, which isn't too bad considering most games I play need at least a Sandy Bridge or better and i'm rocking a 975X chipset from around late 2006

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Great! I have some DDR3 sticks and M.2 makes no sense to me.. So I can keep all my stuff with me! Thanks!

Most Z97 MOBOs can use M.2

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Most Z97 MOBOs can use M.2

no he doesn't understand the name m.2... Like that its pcie and data mixed together in a msata sized package...

What do you mean by future proof? In terms of support from Intel? A typical life span is 2 generations.

Both current platforms (LGA1151 and LGA2011-3) should see 1 more CPU before we get a new platform.

Outgoing or EOL (End of Life) platforms like LGA1150 will be available for a few more months.

But hardware like drives, graphics cards and peripherals will support it for a long while unless a drastic standard change occurs (i.e. going from the old IDE/PATA type to SATA). RAM upgrades are usually available as well, you can still easily buy DDR2.

I wouldn't really say future proof exists, it really comes down to the system or parts doing what you need for the for see-able future.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

None of them are. Future proof doesn't exist outside marketing BS.

Future proof just means he'll be able to use it for a long time. Not a lot of companies say " future proof " but rather the community.

no he doesn't understand the name m.2... Like that its pcie and data mixed together in a msata sized package...

You know.. There is the thing, that I don't need that.

The words future proof implies something is good through the future. There isn't any context of how long that future is. When I say Intel has been doing better in terms of longevity, I explained why.

AMD has poor performing CPUs even compared to the generation before Sandy Bridge. Even though Intel has had more socket changes, doesn't change that people can still use a Sandy Bridge CPU and be better off than with an 8350 or something.

You know.. There is the thing, that I don't need that.

That's usually what I say about half the stuff on anything... That's why I love itx..

-snip-

I said Intel has better cpus, but he asked about a future proof socket, and am3+ has lasted for a very long time... But its about to see the ends of its days!

I said Intel has better cpus, but he asked about a future proof socket, and am3+ has lasted for a very long time... But its about to see the ends of its days!

The socket lasting as long as it does doesn't mean anything, which is why I said what I said. They've re-released their 8-core CPUs I don't know how many times with little to no improvement, especially compared to a basic Intel chip.

The socket lasting as long as it does doesn't mean anything, which is why I said what I said. They've re-released their 8-core CPUs I don't know how many times with little to no improvement, especially compared to a basic Intel chip.

2 times the second one with huge improvement gains over the other(I'm not counting the 9000 ones because there just binned 8350s, and based off of steamroller I belive) and compared to the i5 2500k they did pretty well... AND AGAIN I said that the socket was a "future proof" socket, because the socket itself didnt get replaced by AMD for a long time, and I know that has nothing to do with real life, but neither does "future proof"..............

2 times the second one with huge improvement gains over the other(I'm not counting the 9000 ones because there just binned 8350s, and based off of steamroller I belive) and compared to the i5 2500k they did pretty well... AND AGAIN I said that the socket was a "future proof" socket, because the socket itself didnt get replaced by AMD for a long time, and I know that has nothing to do with real life, but neither does "future proof"..............

We're getting off track here.

Since Intel has the superior performance-per-core, it shouldn't matter who's been on the same socket the longest.