How many pumps do I need?

I plan to do a custom loop including both my CPU and my GPU, with 360mm of rad space, will one EK DDC pump be powerful enough or should I get two?

One DDC would be enough. I would go for a Vario D5, though. Nice and quiet, reliable and more than powerful enough, even on the lowest speed setting.

One is enough   2 is for big projects when you have like 5 radiators and trippel sli there wont be any benefit at all to get another pump.

Yeah. one DDC (with a mod top, the original is crap) will suffice but like people pointed out, a D5 (again, with a modified top, the original is crap) is much better in every aspect. To be honest, DDC kind of lets you down in the longevity.

one is fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

One DDC would be enough. I would go for a Vario D5, though. Nice and quiet, reliable and more than powerful enough, even on the lowest speed setting.

Yeah. one DDC (with a mod top, the original is crap) will suffice but like people pointed out, a D5 (again, with a modified top, the original is crap) is much better in every aspect. To be honest, DDC kind of lets you down in the longevity.

The reason I selected the DDC pump is because it's for a SFF build and so the ability to get a combination bay reservoir and pump that fits in a single 5.25 inch bay is very handy.

Not true,the DDC has more pressure generation than a D5,a handy attribute for a complex loop.

And the stock tops are not crap,the Bitspower D5 top is actually worse than the stock unit.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

The reason I selected the DDC pump is because it's for a SFF build and so the ability to get a combination bay reservoir and pump that fits in a single 5.25 inch bay is very handy.

Fair enough. :D If it's SFF, your best bet really is 5,25" I hate them myself since they usually sit above the rest of the circulation, which is like the opposite of where the pump should be. But you probably won't have the space for a tube res.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, if you go for the 18W DDC, it has a habit of overheating. The flow of water doesn't cool it at all. You might want to look into heatsinks for it.

Not true,the DDC has more pressure generation than a D5,a handy attribute for a complex loop.

And the stock tops are not crap,the Bitspower D5 top is actually worse than the stock unit.

Sure, sure. Gotta love those hose barbs. :)

Fair enough. :D If it's SFF, your best bet really is 5,25" I hate them myself since they usually sit above the rest of the circulation, which is like the opposite of where the pump should be. But you probably won't have the space for a tube res.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, if you go for the 18W DDC, it has a habit of overheating. The flow of water doesn't cool it at all. You might want to look into heatsinks for it.

So if http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-sbay-ddc-32-pwm-(incl-pump) that is the combo, I should remove the pump, replace the housing with something like https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-ddc-heatsink-cover-black that and then reinstall it in the 5.25" bay? Will the heatsink really make much difference in an area with such little airflow?

EDIT: Typo

Sure, sure. Gotta love those hose barbs. :)

Performance and aesthetics are not the same thing.......

And the 18w DDC only overheats at full speed in a low restriction loop,ie CPU only.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

The ddc is pretty versatile with its different tops you can change its pressure and flow trade off. As you loop changes over time you can buy replacement tops if you change the restriction a lot. The d5 in a real loop with even low restriction CPU + GPU block always performs worse than either of the ddc pumps. It's really a single block targeted pump. It will work but be sub optimal.

Performance and aesthetics are not the same thing.......

And the 18w DDC only overheats at full speed in a low restriction loop,ie CPU only.

It's a pwm pump, so I doubt it'll ever be running at full speed.

So if http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-sbay-ddc-32-pwm-(incl-pump) that is the combo, I should remove the pump, replace the housing with something like https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-ddc-heatsink-cover-black that and then reinstall it in the 5.25" bay? Will the heatsink really make much difference in an area with such little airflow?

EDIT: Typo

Probably not. Also it sticks out a bit so it might get in the way. Are you going to be able to access it after installing? It gets hot to the touch even. I have no idea about any safe temperatures for it and couldn't find anything about someone testing. I've witnessed one blow a bit below sixty degrees housed in one of these. That particular unit was on it's way out anyway so the test we did, told nothing really.

The ddc is pretty versatile with its different tops you can change its pressure and flow trade off. As you loop changes over time you can buy replacement tops if you change the restriction a lot. The d5 in a real loop with even low restriction CPU + GPU block always performs worse than either of the ddc pumps. It's really a single block targeted pump. It will work but be sub optimal.

Nope.

To put some context,my SR-2 had dual 24v D5 strongs....I blew the 24v controller and had it running on one D5 at 12v.....thru 7 blocks and 3 480's.

You know what difference it made? 3c at the CPU.

Performance is not the salient metric,silence and reliability are. Flow rates are massively overrated as any kind of performance metric.

Nope.

To put some context,my SR-2 had dual 24v D5 strongs....I blew the 24v controller and had it running on one D5 at 12v.....thru 7 blocks and 3 480's.

You know what difference it made? 3c at the CPU.

Performance is not the salient metric,silence and reliability are. Flow rates are massively overrated as any kind of performance metric.

Nice to see you back on here spreading some facts. I missed you x

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

The D5 isn't a top dependant pump. The DDC is. We're talking slightly less pressure and flow rate on the D5, but it's the DDC which benefits off a better top.

One, powerful pump. Two or more pumps will add to the noise of the pc.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

The D5 isn't a top dependant pump. The DDC is. We're talking slightly less pressure and flow rate on the D5, but it's the DDC which benefits off a better top.

Exactly! My issues with the D5 stock top revolve around the fact that it doesn't have G1/4 threads and the mounting isn't optimal either. Performance-wise the D5 stock top is as good as any. 

Exactly! My issues with the D5 stock top revolve around the fact that it doesn't have G1/4 threads and the mounting isn't optimal either. Performance-wise the D5 stock top is as good as any. 

I've seen people mod the stock top to allow fittings, you need more..

Imagination-1-.gif

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd