CPU voltage goes higher than its meant to

so i have had my i7 4790k for a while and had it under volted but i notice that some times it will ramp up the voltage for a split second 

I have it in the bios as adaptive with a core voltage of 0.069v with a negative off set of 1.219v and that gives me a voltage of 1.150v for the cores but i notice when at the desktop or in games i see the voltage go to 1.199v i dont know why this is i have the load line calibration set to 1 with is 0% on asus boards any one know why?

oh yeah the CPU is stable at 1.150Vs because i tested it on manual mode with adia 64

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

i noticed the same when i ran prime95(i have i5 4690k). my voltage also goes above the limit i have given it at times. idk why, i havent kept it as a big deal, and maybe neither should you.

it's just the chipset stabilizing itself, it'll supply a little more voltage to the CPU when it needs it

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

it's just the chipset stabilizing itself, it'll supply a little more voltage to the CPU when it needs it

is that not what load line calibration is for  

PC PART PICKER

is that not what load line calibration is for  

that's exactly what it is I believe

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

You have adaptive mode, so the cpu will take a bit more voltage if needed when working at full load. Offset works like adaptive, but it does not overvolt at full speed like adaptive.

Also, in Haswell, Load Line Calibration only affects VCCIN, not vcore.

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

its prolly a result of how your mainboard implements offset voltages.

set a non offset voltage if 1.15V and see if the behavior is consistent. looks like you did this with aida64

there is really no need to use a voltage offset with haswell. use a straight voltage in adaptive mode.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

You have adaptive mode, so the cpu will take a bit more voltage if needed when working at full load. Offset works like adaptive, but it does not overvolt at full speed like adaptive.

Also, in Haswell, Load Line Calibration only affects VCCIN, not vcore.

How does offset mode work? 

PC PART PICKER

How does offset mode work? 

Offset adds a small amount of voltage you decide to the whole normal curve of voltage set by default (which is flat on full load). Let's say normal voltage is 0.10v at idle and 1.10v at full and you add +0.05v offset. Now idle voltage will be 0.15v and 1.15v for full.

Adaptive uses the same normal curve, but at full load it can add as much voltage as it needs. In some stress tests the voltage bump can be 0.05-0.1v more than what you put, and that's why it is recommended not to use it when testing.

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

Offset adds a small amount of voltage you decide to the whole normal curve of voltage set by default (which is flat on full load). Let's say normal voltage is 0.10v at idle and 1.10v at full and you add +0.05v offset. Now idle voltage will be 0.15v and 1.15v for full.

Adaptive uses the same normal curve, but at full load it can add as much voltage as it needs. In some stress tests the voltage bump can be 0.05-0.1v more than what you put, and that's why it is recommended not to use it when testing.

ok so when i go to the bios i see this on my off set but the offset voltage looks low compared to stock how would i achieve 1.150Vs 

20160104_144929.jpg

PC PART PICKER

ok so when i go to the bios i see this on my off set but the offset voltage looks low compared to stock how would i achieve 1.150Vs 

20160104_144929.jpg

I have a MSI MB, so I cannot help that much with asus settings. But I have an option called Override+offset, which allows me to set a base voltage and add or take the offset. if you don't have it, increase the offset voltage until you reach the desired.

When using offset, cpu-z only shows base voltage, but not the offset. HWinfo, IETU and other measuring programs show the correct.