CPU broken? G3258 stuttering all the time

Go to solution Solved by LokiFire,

Have that one running every two weeks or so - I really don't think it's a Windows issue since it started specifically after the MoBo reset itself and the ocs

Perhaps you killed the overhead the CPU had and pushed it too far causing degradation?

Every CPU is different, though as a general rule of thumb, CPU's are incredibly tough and can handle a lot of abuse before showing signs of dying, this may just be an outlier.

Hey guys!

So I built myself a PC (G3258, 8GB, GTX 960 4GB, Gigabyte Z97 D3H MoBo, BeQuiet 850W PSU, Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, Win10 64-Bit) a few months ago and everything was going fine. Well kinda. Everything except Battlefield 4 ran butterly smooth (Battlefield dropped every once in a while) so I decided to overclock it. I mean this chip's designed to be overclocked right? So I didn't go higher than 1.3V but still couldn't get over 4.1 Ghz stable so I decided to just stick with my stable 4GhZ 1.28V OC.

I stresstested both the CPU and the GPU for about 20 hours without failure (in retrospect, maybe I should've gone with a full day) and just left it at that. So it happened. After having my PC turned on for over a day (downloading a game) and playing some Battlefield 4 afterwards when my PC crashed (don't remember the exact error code, but it was the same as I got when unstably overclocking) and I just decided to scrap the overclock and try to get it stable some day later when I had the time/nerves to do it. Or so I thought - now I'm getting these weird frame drops in absolutely everything I do. And it's not even like my CPU usage jumps to 100% sometimes it just drops while watching a video with the CPU at 50%. It happens at least once every two minutes and needless to say - playing games is absolutely not possible and even just browsing the web is really annoying.

Now here's my question - do you guys think my CPU is somehow damaged and that I should get a replacement (I'd just upgrade directly to an i5) or could it be that another part is causing this problem?

Anyhow, help and or comments are appreciated!

Thanks a lot and happy new year by the way!

Stuttering with the Pentium is normal. Dual cores aren't good anymore.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Overclocking your CPU (GPU or Ram) over the specification is not guaranteed, you may have lost the silicon lottery.

Nothing you can do, lower the OC and try it out and possibly try a different stress test. 

i wouldnt be surprised that games stutter with that cpu. i dont think that you broke your cpu since you didnt overvolt it. if everything was smoother at the beginning, that is most likely caused by you downloading shit to your pc like everyone else. there is a difference between fresh install and os that has been running for few months or few years even.

Stuttering with the Pentium is normal. Dual cores aren't good anymore.

My AMD Athlon X2 250 is doing well and saying that Dual Cores aren't good is a generalization - it depends on your needs.

https://youtu.be/nJACZ5iStWw

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

The pentium 3258 anniversary edition is still a haswell core CPU... same architecture as the i3 i5 and i7 chips of that generation... your assertion is completely incorrect.

It could have quantum cores for all I care, it's still not able to process more than 2 threads at once.

but its stuttering in places it wasnt before, thats not normal.

That, however, is a valid point

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The pentium 3258 anniversary edition is still a haswell core CPU... same architecture as the i3 i5 and i7 chips of that generation... your assertion is completely incorrect.

who cares about the architecture? its a shitty cheap 2core what do you expect? fucking stuttering! dont go full retard

Hey guys!

So I built myself a PC (G3258, 8GB, GTX 960 4GB, Gigabyte Z97 D3H MoBo, BeQuiet 850W PSU, Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, Win10 64-Bit) a few months ago and everything was going fine. Well kinda. Everything except Battlefield 4 ran butterly smooth (Battlefield dropped every once in a while) so I decided to overclock it. I mean this chip's designed to be overclocked right? So I didn't go higher than 1.3V but still couldn't get over 4.1 Ghz stable so I decided to just stick with my stable 4GhZ 1.28V OC.

I stresstested both the CPU and the GPU for about 20 hours without failure (in retrospect, maybe I should've gone with a full day) and just left it at that. So it happened. After having my PC turned on for over a day (downloading a game) and playing some Battlefield 4 afterwards when my PC crashed (don't remember the exact error code, but it was the same as I got when unstably overclocking) and I just decided to scrap the overclock and try to get it stable some day later when I had the time/nerves to do it. Or so I thought - now I'm getting these weird frame drops in absolutely everything I do. And it's not even like my CPU usage jumps to 100% sometimes it just drops while watching a video with the CPU at 50%. It happens at least once every two minutes and needless to say - playing games is absolutely not possible and even just browsing the web is really annoying.

Now here's my question - do you guys think my CPU is somehow damaged and that I should get a replacement (I'd just upgrade directly to an i5) or could it be that another part is causing this problem?

Anyhow, help and or comments are appreciated!

Thanks a lot and happy new year by the way!

maybe the cpu is dirty and u need to clean out the cooler. dust kills

well your os gets loaded with crap, so it is normal. fresh os install and everything smooth as babys butt, then the same thing happens to him which happens to everyone else. your pc fills with random crap and programs, its normal. if he reinstalls hes os then i dare to say that he gets the same performance back

who cares about the architecture? its a shitty cheap 2core what do you expect? fucking stuttering! dont go full retard

i have a g3258. no stuttering for me.

Even playing squad. That game runs unreal engine 4 and is not optimised at all.

maybe the cpu is dirty and u need to clean out the cooler. dust kills

he didnt say anything about thermal issues. and i dont think so that hes pc is filled with dust in few months. that if he doesent live in a gutter

well your os gets loaded with crap, so it is normal. fresh os install and everything smooth as babys butt, then the same thing happens to him which happens to everyone else. your pc fills with random crap and programs, its normal. if he reinstalls hes os then i dare to say that he gets the same performance back

my 4 year old windows 7 install is still smooth as a babys butt. maybe you should take care of that baby's butt a bit better to make it not turn into oprah's hindquarters.

^This right here is exactly the point - it's not overclocked at all right now and it's just stuttering everywhere - even right now as I'm typing this. It's almost like the processor just 'stops' for a second or two and then keeps going if that makes any sense.

i have a g3258. no stuttering for me.

Even playing squad. That game runs unreal engine 4 and is not optimised at all.

yeah because 2 different systems with same cpu are completely comparable? cmon man dont be stupid.

Single threaded performance on haswell is excellent, 2 cores is more than enough for most games, the vast majority of which still don't take any advantage of multi-core setups. Having 2 cores instead of 4 would only result in lower fps and isn't likely to be a cause of semi-regular stuttering in gameplay which the OP claims is otherwise smooth.

Can you run HWMonitor and find out what the min/avg/max temps are while gaming on the 3258 and the 960? Also check that when you reset the overclock back to normal that the memory timings defaulted back too ... restoring BIOS/EFI to factory default would be a good first step

I'm on a horse...

Gaming Rig | Storage Server | Virtual Server | HTPC

he didnt say anything about thermal issues. and i dont think so that hes pc is filled with dust in few months. that if he doesent live in a gutter

Thermals are at 45°C max so ... yeah, no not really

Might be a lack of cores and the ageing of your windows install, as your OS ages the Registry get's altered over time, stuff clogs up here and there too.

I suggest you download Ccleaner and give your registry a good clean, also clean up all HDD's especially the C:/ drive.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Single threaded performance on haswell is excellent, 2 cores is more than enough for most games, the vast majority of which still don't take any advantage of multi-core setups. Having 2 cores instead of 4 would only result in lower fps and isn't likely to be a cause of semi-regular stuttering in gameplay which the OP claims is otherwise smooth.

Can you run HWMonitor and find out what the min/avg/max temps are while gaming on the 3258 and the 960? Also check that when you reset the overclock back to normal that the memory timings defaulted back too

I forgot to mention that I got an error message when booting up after the 4.1 Ghz crash saying that all the settings would reset and everything is being set back to stock

my 4 year old windows 7 install is still smooth as a babys butt. maybe you should take care of that baby's butt a bit better to make it not turn into oprah's hindquarters.

im so impressed and i care alot about your 4 years old windows os install that you claim to be as good as fresh. i call bs. only way that is possible is that you dont have alot of programs downloaded, which almost everyone does. antivirus in the background, all the f**** little things that run in the background. everyone has those as the os gets older. if you use your time to keep your os as fresh as a new one(which i think nobody can do), you must have really clean house too, some kind of ocd i must say.

Might be a lack of cores and the ageing of your windows install, as your OS ages the Registry get's altered over time, stuff clogs up here and there too.

I suggest you download Ccleaner and give your registry a good clean, also clean up all HDD's especially the C:/ drive.

Have that one running every two weeks or so - I really don't think it's a Windows issue since it started specifically after the MoBo reset itself and the ocs

just run msconfig and ccleaner and go through the startup items and background services from time to time ... keeping windows as fresh as (or better than) new is incredibly easy, just takes a little knowledge and a little time

im so impressed and i care alot about your 4 years old windows os install that you claim to be as good as fresh. i call bs. only way that is possible is that you dont have alot of programs downloaded, which almost everyone does. antivirus in the background, all the f**** little things that run in the background. everyone has those as the os gets older. if you use your time to keep your os as fresh as a new one(which i think nobody can do), you must have really clean house too, some kind of ocd i must say.

I'm on a horse...

Gaming Rig | Storage Server | Virtual Server | HTPC

i defenately have ocd when taking care of my computers. its mostly down to taking very good care of crap thats left behind after removing stuff, defrag every so often, and keeping the system physically clean.

i've made a 2 year old laptop go from snail pace to "just like new" just by getting the dust out.