What is the point of steam achievements?

logan

So..playstation has trophies that amount to level

and xbox has achievements that amount to gamerscore

but What is the point of steam achievements? is there a reason to play my games for the achievements?

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

There aren't really any reason other than achievement whoring. Which is reason enough for some people. 

You can also showcase your rare achievements on your profile.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

There aren't really any reason other than achievement whoring. Which is reason enough. 

You can also showcase your rare achievements on your profile.

achievement whoring? and you can display achievements? i thought that was badges you could display?

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

There is literally no reason and if there was that would give hackers a reason to exploit it.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Steam has a level too.

What's the point of the PS Level and XB Gamerscore?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Steam has a level too.

What's the point of the PS Level and XB Gamerscore?

steams level is for the badges...which are randomly given pieces to..or you can pay to get them

ps level and xb gamerscore give players something to see...a reason to increase their level...a reason to actually try and play the game to get the score..or achievement

achievement whoring? and you can display achievements? i thought that was badges you could display?

Achievement whorig just referes to you grinding through a game for the sake of getting achievements, not for the sake of enjoying the game.

And you can display achievements on your profile aswell as badges

post-5244-0-45840600-1451770867_thumb.pn

No reason, but some people like that sort of stuff and: 

post-66710-0-70748800-1451770891.png

It's all e-peen. even Xbox's achievements or Playstation's trophies. It's not like the maker of the game comes to you to congratulate you and grant you free games for life or something

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is there a reason for which athletes get medals?

That same reason applies to achievements.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Achievement whorig just referes to you grinding through a game for the sake of getting achievements, not for the sake of enjoying the game.

And you can display achievements on your profile aswell as badges

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

No reason, but some people like that sort of stuff and: 

do you have to have a lot of achievements for that, i don't know how many i have...and i don't see that ...in edit profile i have 

profile name

real name

country

state

custom url

facebook

profile background

featured badge

primary group

do you have to have a lot of achievements for that, i don't know how many i have...and i don't see that ...in edit profile i have 

profile name

real name

country

state

custom url

facebook

profile background

featured badge

primary group

I think you need to reach level 10, but I'm not sure. I can't really remember how I got it, but I think it's tied to your Steam level.

I think you need to reach level 10, but I'm not sure. I can't really remember how I got it, but I think it's tied to your Steam level.

haha figures...im level 9

ok i leveled up and got a showcase..can you have more than 1?

ok i leveled up and got a showcase..can you have more than 1?

You can, but I think you get a showcase for every 10 levels. So, you unlock the next showcase at level 20.

Basically, Valve is hidding features behind a paywall. Showcases and extra room on your friendslist is the worst DLC since Horse Armour.

Seeing how much time I wasted on a game is enough for me, I don't wanna have a level to prove the same thing :P

PS: There are actually levels on Steam, although I never understood how they work.

Yeah Steam achievements are pointless. Just as pointless as gamerscore and trophies or whatever PS calls it.

It's just for showing off.

Never known anyone to show off on steam with achievements, so...

I quite like it though i did something and got rewarded for it.. cool. 

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I use em to know if there's obvious parts of the game I'm still missing or to remind me of things I haven't done i.e. I've put like 1200 hours into Skyrim and still haven't gotten around to do ALL of the Daedric quest on a single character.

-------

Current Rig

-------