Fallout 4 Running significantly lower performance?

moisty

Okay so I've had this issue ever since i got the game on release.

I have a fairly good Gaming PC that can run most games on high, no issues, with a stable 60-50fps. (ex. Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 3, CSGO, Tf2, Witcher 3) Although Fallout 4 has some trouble floating around the 30-40 region on ANY graphical preset.

I don't know why, I know that my CPU isn't bottlenecking my GPU because I checked the CPU and GPU usage while playing FO4 and they are both on max load. (though for some reason they run surprisingly cool at around 30-40c)

Maybe its because my system is an AMD build? I honestly don't know.

If you guys have any suggestions, or you had this exact problem, please let me know.  (and yes I've tried FPS configs, they run exactly the same)

My Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 

PSU: Corsair CX750M

HDD: WD Caviar black 650Gb

RAM: Crucial DDR3 8gb (2x4) (idk the exact name of the ram)

FO4 just doesn't like AMD.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I still think it CPU issues... I just recently switched  from FX6300 to I7 6700k and fallout 4 runs much better than before. No longer it has frame drops to low 20 and it much smoother game play. Have you tried updating your graphic card drivers? You sure changing your settings to all low doesn't help with your frame rate?

So the fact fallout 4 is kinda more CPU intensive due the old engine. 

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

Magical Pineapples

I still think it CPU issues... I just recently switched  from FX6300 to I7 6700k and fallout 4 runs much better than before. No longer it has frame drops to low 20 and it much smoother game play. Have you tried updating your graphic card drivers? You sure changing your settings to all low doesn't help with your frame rate?

So the fact fallout 4 is kinda more CPU intensive due the old engine. 

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

Yes! I knew Fallout 4 was more CPU intensive, I'm hopefully gonna save up and dump my CPU+Mobo and get something like an i5 4460, or something overclockable.  But the 380 is good, correct?

Fallout 4 is all on the CPU, and horribly optimized. If you want good performance, get at least an i5. 

I used to be quite active here.

Just so you know, the witcher is the only game on that list you can compare fallout to

Try lowering the shadow distance to medium, and Godrays to the lowest setting.

I experience some fps drops when facing some buildings and stuff, and lowering those two minimized the fps drops I'm getting.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

Fallout 4 is a cpu killer, very badly optimized. Great game, but I'd hate running it on anything less than the CPU I have.

Just so you know, the witcher is the only game on that list you can compare fallout to

Far cry 3 and black ops 3 are arguably better looking games, although I could see the argument for BO3 not being open world.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Even with an amazing machine don't expect 60fps everywhere. There's huge issues in areas like the Corvega/Lexington city and downtown Boston where you won't get 60fps, ever, no matter the settings.

Even with an amazing machine don't expect 60fps everywhere. There's huge issues in areas like the Corvega/Lexington city and downtown Boston where you won't get 60fps, ever, no matter the settings.

There's a mod called Shadow boost that helps a lot with fps problems in the city areas

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

There's a mod called Shadow boost that helps a lot with fps problems in the city areas

Doesn't fix it. These guys on the guru3d forums go more indepth to what the issue is, starts around page 20: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403772&page=20

Basically there's too many draw calls being done that DX11 can't keep up. I posted my own graphics in there and I couldn't even go above 45-50fps with everything on low/800x450 res. I tested Shadow Boost, which helps in other areas, but in specifically Lexington and Downtown Boston it does't help much.