Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU, or is it the other way around?

datHiroko

Hey,

I own a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 and a AMD Athlon 5350.

a example: (running Tomb Raider all ultra) at the moment with:

CPU: 20 - 30 Temperature on 100% load most of the time.

GPU: 30 - 50 Temperature on anywhere from 30% to 90% load most of the time.

Since I would upgrade to a AMD FX-8350 (8 core) and OC @ 4GHz (and more). Would this make the GPU use less load and / or improve games?

Is my GPU good enough or would I need to upgrade it too?

Thanks in advance.

Currently your CPU is bottlenecking, chances are if you upgrade to the 8350, your GPU will become the bottleneck. However, if you upgrade your GPU later, the CPU will probably become the bottleneck again.

If you're going to upgrade your CPU, I would highly advise an Intel Core i5 processor.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

CPU bottleneck 

1. dont get a fx series, those are major bottlenecks, get a intel core i5

2. the gtx 750 hasnt held up well at all

3. what is your budget and system specs?

4. please follow your own topic

~dm

The GPU would be pushed harder with a more powerful CPU used. If the GPU is good enough for your requirements, then there's no need to upgrade it. If the GPU rarely hits 100%, something is bottlenecking it and in this case, it's the CPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

To answer your question; Yes.

But get a locked Haswell i5 + a H97 board, its better.

Edited by Godlygamer23

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

take up playing retro games or chuck it under the tv to watch movies. no good for anything else and you'll never putb a processor on it that will help gaming.

take up playing retro games or chuck it under the tv to watch movies. no good for anything else and you'll never putb a processor on it that will help gaming.

You are kidding me, right?

The GPU would be pushed harder with a more powerful CPU used. If the GPU is good enough for your requirements, then there's no need to upgrade it. If the GPU rarely hits 100%, something is bottlenecking it and in this case, it's the CPU.

I would get a new GPU down the line, but if I get the CPU.. would my GPU perform better?

1. dont get a fx series, those are major bottlenecks, get a intel core i5

2. the gtx 750 hasnt held up well at all

3. what is your budget and system specs?

4. please follow your own topic

1. Yes I will get it, since it is cheaper and will work better for my needs.

2. How do you mean?

3. Budget is around 4000 SEK (Swedish kronor) possibly more. (however this includes a new case, new motherboard, and cooling.)

4. I just did.

Currently your CPU is bottlenecking, chances are if you upgrade to the 8350, your GPU will become the bottleneck. However, if you upgrade your GPU later, the CPU will probably become the bottleneck again.

If you're going to upgrade your CPU, I would highly advise an Intel Core i5 processor.

So, no matter what.. you will get a bottleneck? lol. That is what I got from that. Well, if I would upgrade my GPU, I wouldn't go overkill. I am not a hardcore gamer, nor a fps / ultra settings whore. I am fine with playing games at decent settings with decent fps.

1. Yes I will get it, since it is cheaper and will work better for my needs.

2. How do you mean?

3. Budget is around 4000 SEK (Swedish kronor) possibly more. (however this includes a new case, new motherboard, and cooling.)

4. I just did.

1. your decision

2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwZQ6oLGWE 

4. good, you didnt at the time of my post, but good

~dm

So, no matter what.. you will get a bottleneck? lol. That is what I got from that. Well, if I would upgrade my GPU, I wouldn't go overkill. I am not a hardcore gamer, nor a fps / ultra settings whore. I am fine with playing games at decent settings with decent fps.

Something in your PC is always going to be the limiting factor. Typically you want it to be your GPU, so you're getting the most out of it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Something in your PC is always going to be the limiting factor. Typically you want it to be your GPU, so you're getting the most out of it.

That is true. Well, I guess I'll upgrade my CPU, since I can only upgrade one of them. And so far, my GPU is alright for the type of games I play.

I would get a new GPU down the line, but if I get the CPU.. would my GPU perform better?

Yes it would. Although the FX you proposed isn't quite as good for an upgrade you intend to keep for a long time... if you can afford it an i5 would be better, and even a Skylake i3 would be better in most cases unless you do a crapload of video editing and stuff

Yes it would. Although the FX you proposed isn't quite as good for an upgrade you intend to keep for a long time... if you can afford it an i5 would be better, and even a Skylake i3 would be better in most cases unless you do a crapload of video editing and stuff

i5 and FX are pretty much the same. (Oh, I mean intel just costs 200 USD more or something, but hey? Who cares about paper?) And to be honest, both i5 and AMD are not very good upgrades, since the new CPU's wont use those sockets.

i5 and FX are pretty much the same. (Oh, I mean intel just costs 200 USD more or something, but hey? Who cares about paper?) And to be honest, both i5 and AMD are not very good upgrades, since the new CPU's wont use those sockets.

someone's been watching Tek Syndicate instead of living in the real world...

someone's been watching Tek Syndicate instead of living in the real world...

Watched his videos, but no, not saying that because of his videos. Also watched intel videos, same stuff there (don't talk about fan boy shit) yes, intel might be better (but not by a lot) and when you consider the price difference.. yeah.

You are kidding me, right?

you're running an AM1 processor. no real cpu for that to upgrade to that would make a big gaming splash.

You might be able to push more frames, depending on the game. Since you said that your GPU usage goes up to 90%, having a more powerful CPU will allow it to be pushed further, allowing for more frames to be pushed to the display.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

you're running an AM1 processor. no real cpu for that to upgrade to that would make a big gaming splash.

I mainly came here from work to tell you that your profile picture is so frickn' cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Spoiler

I mainly came here from work to tell you that your profile picture is so frickn' cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

haha, lol. Thank you.

I like how overused the term bottlenecking has become.People do some research before you declare an AMD CPU as beeing a bottleneck,all.the.damn.time.Ill do you a favour and link you to this video,should explain what ''bottlenecking'' is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgpvWc4VBM

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

lol didn't you start another topic and decided to upgrade to a 4690K?

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450