Need Advice for a Audio Upgrade

I'm looking on moving on from mainstream audio to a more of an audiophile set up. The set of cans I want to get are the AKG 612 PRO or the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250. I am running the Asus crosshair formula Motherboard and using that as my main audio source. I bought the Astro A40 back in the day and I know these cans will out perform them. 

Do you think I should:

1. Get a sound card?

2. Get a Amp

3. Get a Dac/Amp combo

I am new to this and I want my investment in these headphones to perform the way they are suppose to be.

My ears are open to your advice since I am new to a good audio set up.

1. Get the headphones.
  2. Try from motherboard.
  3. If not loud enough, get amp.
  4. Exit algorithm.

What is your total budget that you can spend, including headphones/amp/whatever?

1. No. Sound cards are often just DACs sometimes with a built in amp. It might be cheaper and better in the long run to go with a standalone dac.

2. Anything much over 32 Ohm impedance headphones are going to sound like crap, really quiet, or not work at all with motherboard audio. 

3. Some of them are good, especially the O2 with ODAC combo, but just research what you find before you buy it. Head-fi.org is a great source and community. Good luck!

ASU

2. Anything much over 32 Ohm impedance headphones are going to sound like crap, really quiet, or not work at all with motherboard audio.

3.Head-fi.org is a great source and community.

2. Is completely wrong, completely.

3. Head-fi is not a great source, it has lots of non true info.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

This is false, although it seems to be a surprise to some people. The reality is that motherboard audio is highly variable, which means sometimes it is unlistenable, whereas other times it can handle most dynamic headphones. Either way, suggesting that headphones "over 32 ohms" won't work from a motherboard is at best misleading.

3. Some of them are good, especially the O2 with ODAC combo, but just research what you find before you buy it.

I would argue that the O2 and ODAC are not especially good. To start with, they are overpriced. The O2 suffers from high distortion if it is run at high output for a prolonged period; and the ODAC does not allow for WASAPI exclusive mode output; it is also bus-powered, which is not ideal.

Head-fi.org is a great source and community. Good luck!

While there is some good information on head-fi, it is also filled with shills and hype that make it very difficult for the uninformed to gather useful information. I strongly advise against sending anyone there as a "source" of good information.

1. Get the headphones.
  2. Try from motherboard.
  3. If not loud enough, get amp.
  4. Exit algorithm.

What is your total budget that you can spend, including headphones/amp/whatever?

I want to try to spend $150 or less on the Dac/AMP im not audiophile I just want to ensure that the  products I am buying are suppose to sound how they were designed. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good amp?

I want to try to spend $150 or less on the Dac/AMP im not audiophile I just want to ensure that the  products I am buying are suppose to sound how they were designed. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good amp?

Please, I'd like to know how much you intend to spend TOTAL (headphone and amp COMBINED).

Because if you are spending only $150-200, don't bother with an amp. I guarantee that the headphone will "sound like it is was designed".

Please, I'd like to know how much you intend to spend TOTAL (headphone and amp COMBINED).

Because if you are spending only $150-200, don't bother with an amp. I guarantee that the headphone will "sound like it is was designed".

I think we would all prefer not to buy something we dont have to but in a perfect world It would be nice to just get the headphones and go. I was looking at the FIIO E10K and JDS Labs O2. But like i said before i have no experience in this stuff and reached out to you guys.

I think we would all prefer not to buy something we dont have to but in a perfect world It would be nice to just get the headphones and go. I was looking at the FIIO E10K and JDS Labs O2. But like i said before i have no experience in this stuff and reached out to you guys.

I am experienced, and I am telling you to try the headphone from the source you have before you run out and spend even more money. It doesn't get much simpler from that.

And once again, please share your total combined budget.

I got a $50 SMSL DAC/AMP combo and my HD 518's and M40x's sound way better than with on board audio.

I am experienced, and I am telling you to try the headphone from the source you have before you run out and spend even more money. It doesn't get much simpler from that.

And once again, please share your total combined budget.

Total Budget I would say around $250 

I got a $50 SMSL DAC/AMP combo and my HD 518's and M40x's sound way better than with on board audio.

I got a $75 Fiio DAC/amp combo and my DT880 Pro and HD449 sound no better than with on board audio. Your personal experience isn't a useful data point, precisely because of the variability of integrated audio. Whether or not the OP should invest in additional audio hardware is individual to their situation and hardware.

It's also quite possible that if you saved up for a $100 amp, and skipped the DAC, the level of improvement could have been increased significantly. DACs sound more similar than different, especially given the improvements of integrated audio over the past several years.

Total Budget I would say around $250 

Then, assuming you have no issues with static/noise/interference with your integrated audio, I'll recommend a Schiit Magni 2 and either of the headphones you are considering. The Schiit amp is FAR better than the amps in any of the sub-$100 combo units from Chinese companies.

But again, try before you buy. You may be spending money needlessly, when you could easily stretch to a much better headphone with $250.

I got a $75 Fiio DAC/amp combo and my DT880 Pro and HD449 sound no better than with on board audio. Your personal experience isn't a useful data point, precisely because of the variability of integrated audio. Whether or not the OP should invest in additional audio hardware is individual to their situation and hardware.

It's also quite possible that if you saved up for a $100 amp, and skipped the DAC, the level of improvement could have been increased significantly. DACs sound more similar than different, especially given the improvements of integrated audio over the past several years.

At this point I can't stand on-board audio so I really don't know what I would upgrade. One thing to note is that the DAC converts 1/4" into optical audio.

One thing to note is that the DAC converts 1/4" into optical audio.

Or rather, it has an optical input to the DAC. All DACs output an analog audio signal, regardless of the output interface.

Or rather, it has an optical input to the DAC. All DACs output an analog audio signal, regardless of the output interface.

Would you need a Dac if you are using onboard audio? What is the purpose of a dac?

You seem to be the audio expert, you probably know more than me. I don't want to waste time arguing about this  :)

Would you need a Dac if you are using onboard audio? What is the purpose of a dac?

DAC stands for "digital to analog converter". Audio data is represented digitally when it is stored on your computer. In order to turn data into sound, you need a device that can translate the digital audio stream into an analog voltage. This voltage is then amplified to move the drivers of your headphones or speakers.

Onboard audio is basically a DAC, so you do not "need" an external DAC. You may benefit from one, though, if you are experiencing noise/hiss/static/interference with your motherboard audio.

The purpose of an amp is to amplify (make louder) the voltage that comes from the DAC so that it is able to drive a headphone (or speaker).

When it comes to upgrading audio (ignoring the audio file itself), generally the biggest gains to be had are, from greatest to least: headphone > amp > DAC > source. That means that you should buy the best headphone you can first and get as good an amp as you need to drive them before thinking about a DAC. That's what I recommend above.

DAC stands for "digital to analog converter". Audio data is represented digitally when it is stored on your computer. In order to turn data into sound, you need a device that can translate the digital audio stream into an analog voltage. This voltage is then amplified to move the drivers of your headphones or speakers.

Onboard audio is basically a DAC, so you do not "need" an external DAC. You may benefit from one, though, if you are experiencing noise/hiss/static/interference with your motherboard audio.

The purpose of an amp is to amplify (make louder) the voltage that comes from the DAC so that it is able to drive a headphone (or speaker).

When it comes to upgrading audio (ignoring the audio file itself), generally the biggest gains to be had are, from greatest to least: headphone > amp > DAC > source. That means that you should buy the best headphone you can first and get as good an amp as you need to drive them before thinking about a DAC. That's what I recommend above.

Thanks that was very Helpful. so in order for me to use a Schiit Magini 2 amp then I would need a Dac Correct? In order for me to use a amp I need one to have a 3.5mm Input on it?

Thanks that was very Helpful. so in order for me to use a Schiit Magini 2 amp then I would need a Dac Correct? In order for me to use a amp I need one to have a 3.5mm Input on it?

Nope, the magni will work from onboard. You would need a 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable.

Nope, the magni will work from onboard. You would need a 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable.

Ahh ok that makes sense I feel like an amp will always or marginally make any headset more lively by giving it more Juice. Is there a way to test that you are getting any hissing noise from the on board? I have my headset on now and It is silent.

Ahh ok that makes sense I feel like an amp will always or marginally make any headset more lively by giving it more Juice. Is there a way to test that you are getting any hissing noise from the on board? I have my headset on now and It is silent.

With nothing playing (and I advise disabling Windows sounds to avoid nasty surprises) max out the windows volume slider. If you don't hear any hiss, you're good.

You should also do a test at normal listening volumes while in a game or browsing the web - listen for any buzzing, hums, clicks, static, etc from moving the mouse.