Will my devices switch seamlessly between 2 routers with the same SSID?

Coswar

I have 2 routers, one set up as DHCP and connected direct to the net(on the bottom floor), and another set up as a secondary (on the top floor). I've just changed all the WiFi settings on both to match.

Will my devices seamlessly and importantly Automatically switch between the two as I move floors? 

Here is the guide I followed. http://smallbusiness.chron.com/setting-up-wireless-routers-same-ssid-68675.html

They are both functioning perfectly now, but just not 100% on the switch over as I had to do it manually before when the SSIDs were different.

Thanks!

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

I think it needs to bes same mac address 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have 2 routers, one set up as DHCP and connected direct to the net(on the bottom floor), and another set up as a secondary (on the top floor). I've just changed all the WiFi settings on both to match.

Will my devices seamlessly and importantly Automatically switch between the two as I move floors? 

Here is the guide I followed. http://smallbusiness.chron.com/setting-up-wireless-routers-same-ssid-68675.html

They are both functioning perfectly now, but just not 100% on the switch over as I had to do it manually before when the SSIDs were different.

Thanks!

Seamless Wifi roaming works to a certain degree.  Most devices will experience a short connection drop when switching the access point. This will be only noticeble in things like Skype calls and VPN connections. If you'd like the switch to happen less often, then play around with the roaming threshold. This value tells the device how long to wait before switching to the access point with the stronger signal. You can find it (assuming you use Win8.1) under Device Manager->Network adapter->"your wifi card"->properties->advanced. It is called something like Roaming Dynamic

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Short answer would be no. I got this setup and devices just hang on to the old router even if there's just 1 bar left. If you turn off wifi and back on again, it will pick the closest, stronger signal. 

They maybe ways to do it but, like @sirtoby pointed, but that will be a per devices thing and certainlly not automatic. 

Short answer would be no. I got this setup and devices just hang on to the old router even if there's just 1 bar left. If you turn off wifi and back on again, it will pick the closest, stronger signal.

They maybe ways to do it but, like @sirtoby pointed, but that will be a per devices thing and certainlly not automatic.

It works you just have to setup it how it needs to be.

Exactly the same settings but different channel

It works you just have to setup it how it needs to be.

Exactly the same settings but different channel

Your device won't connect to both simultaneously. And the threshold for them to switch is just too low. On mobile, there's no real way to modify it. On pc, you can be more agressive and switch it faster but that's pretty much it.  

I got this setup and it work like this: 

Me ---- Router 1 ----- Router 2 (I'm closer to router 1 so I'm connected to it). 

Router 1 ----- Router 2 ----- Me (I moved past router 2 but I'm weakly connected to 1. If I switch the wifi off and on, I'm getting on router 2. Both use same ssid and band, on a different channel) 

Your device won't connect to both simultaneously. And the threshold for them to switch is just too low. On mobile, there's no real way to modify it. On pc, you can be more agressive and switch it faster but that's pretty much it.

I got this setup and it work like this:

Me ---- Router 1 ----- Router 2 (I'm closer to router 1 so I'm connected to it).

Router 1 ----- Router 2 ----- Me (I moved past router 2 but I'm weakly connected to 1. If I switch the wifi off and on, I'm getting on router 2. Both use same ssid and band, on a different channel)

Same security? And it works at my home...

That is a very dirty "hack" which won't work perfectly. For it to work really seamlessly you will need a wireless controller and multiple lightweight access points. It's not something I would recommend for home use unless you are serious about networking.

Back in 2009 I took a Wireless LAN's class at community college. According to what I learned is that there is no standard from the IEEE for WiFi roaming. So each manufacture can do it there own way. We were taught its best to use the exact same access points in order to get it to work. Theoretical it would work like a cellular network where the access point would hand you off to the next. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

In theory it should work fine but it depends on how the device handles it. If you have a pair of the same access point? It shouldn't be an issue. Technically moving from one access point to another is the same as moving from one band to another on a dual-band AP. Set the SSID/password up the same? It'll do it automatically. Won't need a new IP or anything, it'll just jump from one to the other.

..... though how smooth the process is depends on your devices and how sensitive the applications you're running are. Some devices play well, some access points play well, others don't. I have a pair of DLink AC1200 APs and I haven't noticed an issue with any of the applications I use on my mobile devices. Which includes listening to Spotify on my phone while walking around the house.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I have two access points and they are not identical and they do not seamlessly hand off.  The device will eventually take the stronger signal though....  

IIRC you would need something close to enterprise level to do this like Aruba networks.  Ubiquity has something called zero hand off and they are used by consumers pretty regularly https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205144590-UniFi-What-is-Zero-Handoff-

Thanks guys, I'll test over the next few days but it sounds like I need to get a modem from my ISP and just get two of the same routers in order to achieve this.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1