SLOTS - Can't seem to find what I'm looking for

Go to solution Solved by 19_blackie_73,

you'll never get a x99 mobo for less than 100$... If it has the expansion options why not. Just go with the cheapest x99 mobo what you can find and has all the features, if it has more, it only means that you have more expandability

x99 is not a platform for budget builds

don't forget: x4 slots can also be used with x1 cards.

EDIT:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=28&K=4,10&h=2,8&B=2,5&qq=1&sort=a8&page=1

this is a list based on your specs you want to have, you can adjust on the right for what you are looking for

Hi, it's been a while since i've upgraded my pc back in 2009, and it's time for a change. I do video editing and 3d rendering, I struggle sometimes with after effects since it uses almost all my ram (8gb ddr3).

I've been searching and I wanted something like the Intel Core i7-5820K or something similar, a friend has it and he works quite well for him. I want to prepare myself aswell for the ddr4 future(atleast 16gb), and don't have to struggle in the near future.

I'm seem to be fine at that point looking at prices, but, the problem comes when I search the motherboard. Every one I look has like 4-6 pcie x16 slots, and just a few pci x1 or x4, which is overpaying for something that I wont use, but can't seem to find anything else than that, am I looking in the wrong places? do I have to wait for newer lines to come with more varied combinations of what they can offer?

right now what i'm looking for in a mobo it's more than 6 usb, atleast 2 usb 3.0, 1 pcie x16, 2 pci x1, 2 pci x4, and atleast 4-6 sata ports. Might sound low end but it's all I need.

Care anyone to help me? thanks for stopping by

--------------------------------------------------------------

What I currently have:

Coolermaster 700w (a 2010 one that says power plus extreme)

AMD Phenom II x4 955

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

2x2gb 1333, 4gb 1333 - DDR3

GTX 970

and a 2 dollar cpu case.

--------------------------------------------------------------

you'll never get a x99 mobo for less than 100$... If it has the expansion options why not. Just go with the cheapest x99 mobo what you can find and has all the features, if it has more, it only means that you have more expandability

x99 is not a platform for budget builds

don't forget: x4 slots can also be used with x1 cards.

EDIT:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=28&K=4,10&h=2,8&B=2,5&qq=1&sort=a8&page=1

this is a list based on your specs you want to have, you can adjust on the right for what you are looking for

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

thanks I'll check it, i'm kinda on the run transporting some stuff right after I did the topic.

I don't have much of a budget, but I would guess I can get 700 to 900 dollars.

sigh nope. everything has like a minimum 4 pcie x16 slots, and not even a single pci x4, which is a waste. I guess I would have to keep waiting, these are fairly new right?

the GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3P seems to look what i'm looking for, has a nice ammount of x1 slots, but none x4. I guess if nothing ever appears, I can go with that and buy from now on x1 cards, wich I suppose it's the norm, (was planning on using the slots for audio card, wifi, usb expansor, and a lan one for bridging guest computers at my home)

but looking again as to what 19_blackie_73 , I think you meant x16 slots can be used with x1 cards, not x4, but still, that's quite the finding I didn't know before.

thanks for the replies, I'll stick with the one I said in this post.

sigh nope. everything has like a minimum 4 pcie x16 slots, and not even a single pci x4, which is a waste. I guess I would have to keep waiting, these are fairly new right?

Don't confuse PCIe x16 slots with actual x16 operation. One can insert a x1 card in a x1, x4, or x16 slot. It will work in all of them. Similarly a x4 card can be inserted in a x16 slot and work. One does have to check the motherboard specs as the actual number of lanes used by a x16 slot may vary based on how other slots are populated.and in the case of X99, which cpu is installed.

Hopefully storage can be reused.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($364.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($249.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $872.84

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 21:45 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.