DT 990 Doesn't Sound as Great as It Should?

theninja35
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Get a DAC with some kind of decent amplification. That's when you'll notice the difference.

How about no?

Yeah, I figured. The FiiO E10k should be enough, right?

I advise against wasting money on the captastic Fiio or SMSL combo amp+DAC units; it doesn't sound like you are having any problems with your onboard, so why fix something that isn't broken? DACs sound more similar than different, and the amp sections in the SD793II or E10K are so cheap that they are only marginally better than onboard in terms of quality (if not power).

I recommend that you put money into a good amp, like the Schiit Magni 2. I'm not going to guarantee that getting an amp will improve the DT990 over the Kraken at all; it could be that you just can't hear the difference between headphones, or that the difference isn't as great as Razer naysayers would like to believe. But a proper amp will provide the biggest chance of improvement. Putting money into any kind of DAC is plain silly at this price level, when you have a perfectly functional one on your motherboard.

Hi. For Christmas, I received a DT 990 Black 250Ohm Pro. It is a very nice feeling headset and it is extremely comfortable. However, it doesn't sound too much better than my Razer Kraken *gasp* "But Ninja, Razer sucks!" Yeah whatever.

I've noticed while listening to Spotify music, that I don't notice a difference, or too much, in sound. All my EDM tracks sound almost the same, but the rock and Michael Buble songs sound a bit better. I can easily tell between the bass, highs, mids, and stuff, which I really like, but there's not a great quality difference, or at least a noticeable difference. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've got it plugged into my MSI Gaming 5 (Z97) rear audio jack (3.5), as I did with my Kraken. 

I do not have Spotify Premium, so it might just be the quality of the music. However, if there's anything that I can change to achieve proper quality, please let me know. I'm hoping to get a FiiO E10k in the future.

Thanks.

Oh, PS: If I constantly use the free-spin mouse wheel on my G502, will it break faster?

Get a DAC with some kind of decent amplification. That's when you'll notice the difference.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

DAC's aren't amplifiers, amplifiers are amplifiers. 

All a DAC is for is converting the signal. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Hi. For Christmas, I received a DT 990 Black 250Ohm Pro. It is a very nice feeling headset and it is extremely comfortable. However, it doesn't sound too much better than my Razer Kraken *gasp* "But Ninja, Razer sucks!" Yeah whatever.

I've noticed while listening to Spotify music, that I don't notice a difference, or too much, in sound. All my EDM tracks sound almost the same, but the rock and Michael Buble songs sound a bit better. I can easily tell between the bass, highs, mids, and stuff, which I really like, but there's not a great quality difference, or at least a noticeable difference. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've got it plugged into my MSI Gaming 5 (Z97) rear audio jack (3.5), as I did with my Kraken. 

I do not have Spotify Premium, so it might just be the quality of the music. However, if there's anything that I can change to achieve proper quality, please let me know. I'm hoping to get a FiiO E10k in the future.

Thanks.

Oh, PS: If I constantly use the free-spin mouse wheel on my G502, will it break faster?

I use the free spin frequently, just wait for it to slow down when you lock it.

You should check your drivers and make sure there's no EQ settings and check your sound settings in windows to make sure it's set to the highest quality. I had a laptop that made everything sound like crap before because it applied this really weird EQ to it on default before. A Dac/Amp won't improve sound quality.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

My SMSL one is only $50 and it's an AMP. It's a really nice value.

An amplifier with a USB DAC. Non-analog conversion obviously.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Non-Analog conversion? What?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

My SMSL one is only $50 and it's an AMP. It's a really nice value.

Yes because it's a Dac & Amp combo, not just simply a DAC.

Just saying DAC can be confusing to people if you're also talking about the person needing an AMP, best to say DAC & amp combo, or dac with a separate amp :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Non-Analog conversion? What?

I mean, non-analog input.

Yes because it's a Dac & Amp combo, not just simply a DAC.

Just saying DAC can be confusing to people if you're also talking about the person needing an AMP, best to say DAC & amp combo, or dac with a separate amp :P

So is the FiiO E10k good for this?

So is the FiiO E10k good for this?

Yea it'd be fine, another option is the one from SMSL:

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM

How about no?

Yeah, I figured. The FiiO E10k should be enough, right?

I advise against wasting money on the captastic Fiio or SMSL combo amp+DAC units; it doesn't sound like you are having any problems with your onboard, so why fix something that isn't broken? DACs sound more similar than different, and the amp sections in the SD793II or E10K are so cheap that they are only marginally better than onboard in terms of quality (if not power).

I recommend that you put money into a good amp, like the Schiit Magni 2. I'm not going to guarantee that getting an amp will improve the DT990 over the Kraken at all; it could be that you just can't hear the difference between headphones, or that the difference isn't as great as Razer naysayers would like to believe. But a proper amp will provide the biggest chance of improvement. Putting money into any kind of DAC is plain silly at this price level, when you have a perfectly functional one on your motherboard.

I'd suggest you try listening to higher quality music first instead before splurging money on more audio equipments. Maybe rip something good from your audio CD collection or try anything else from other free popular sites like bandcamp, soundclouds etc. Going from Spotify free to premium is a really different and noticeable experience (sound quality wise) trust me. 

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2 This, correct? It's not too much more, only $99. That's not too expensive, if this is the correct one.

That's the one. If you go with this, buy directly from Schiit's website, that will get you the best price.

I'd suggest you try listening to higher quality music first instead before splurging money on more audio equipments. Maybe rip something good from your audio CD collection or try anything else from other free popular sites like bandcamp, soundclouds etc. Going from Spotify free to premium is a really different and noticeable experience (sound quality wise) trust me. 

I think this advice is rather misguided. While music file quality is a concern if someone is listening to music on youtube, or to 128 kbps mp3s from itunes, that shouldn't disguise the abilities of a headphone.

That's the one. If you go with this, buy directly from Schiit's website, that will get you the best price.

I think this advice is rather misguided. While music file quality is a concern if someone is listening to music on youtube, or to 128 kbps mp3s from itunes, that shouldn't disguise the abilities of a headphone.

I might have exaggerated a bit there but just saying I can clearly notice the quality difference between the free and premium version using my cheapo Shure earphones and even nokia earbuds. Thats why I only asked him to try other music sources first since he said he only get better experience with rock and ballad songs but not the EDMs. I'm not asking him to get flac quality music or anything. Just something to compare with his music collections. 

So I downloaded Realtek drivers from the MSI website, for no specific reason, and I think I'm having problems. 

It feels really full-in my right ear. My left ear is not as loud/full as my right ear, no matter what sound or source I test. Is there a way to fix this? Should I just uninstall the Realtek drivers?

@SSL @Lays @The Official Czex

So I downloaded Realtek drivers from the MSI website, for no specific reason, and I think I'm having problems. 

It feels really full-in my right ear. My left ear is not as loud/full as my right ear, no matter what sound or source I test. Is there a way to fix this? Should I just uninstall the Realtek drivers?

Sure it's not the headphones or your earz?

I think it might be my audio jacks, actually. I plugged it into the back of my motherboard I/O, and it was stronger right. But I plugged it into the front audio jack, and it favo(u)rs the left side.

I don't know why it would only start after installing the Realtek drivers, though. Are there any changes or other drivers I should get?

I think it might be my audio jacks, actually. I plugged it into the back of my motherboard I/O, and it was stronger right. But I plugged it into the front audio jack, and it favo(u)rs the left side.

Could be. Bad jack, maybe, or internal wiring.

This. The cups are huge, so I sometimes have to center them on my ears.