DT 990 Doesn't Sound as Great as It Should?

theninja35
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Get a DAC with some kind of decent amplification. That's when you'll notice the difference.

How about no?

Yeah, I figured. The FiiO E10k should be enough, right?

I advise against wasting money on the captastic Fiio or SMSL combo amp+DAC units; it doesn't sound like you are having any problems with your onboard, so why fix something that isn't broken? DACs sound more similar than different, and the amp sections in the SD793II or E10K are so cheap that they are only marginally better than onboard in terms of quality (if not power).

I recommend that you put money into a good amp, like the Schiit Magni 2. I'm not going to guarantee that getting an amp will improve the DT990 over the Kraken at all; it could be that you just can't hear the difference between headphones, or that the difference isn't as great as Razer naysayers would like to believe. But a proper amp will provide the biggest chance of improvement. Putting money into any kind of DAC is plain silly at this price level, when you have a perfectly functional one on your motherboard.

This. The cups are huge, so I sometimes have to center them on my ears.

Yeah, they're ginormous. But they're soooo comfortable. 

Could be. Bad jack, maybe, or internal wiring.

I'll check my wiring. It might be my imagination or something, but I'll keep trying. 

After downloading the Realtek drivers, is this how they should sound without the DAC/amp? I don't really notice a quality difference, but certain parts are even more "sorted" than they were before the driver download. I'm still working on getting that Magni 2, though.

Yeah, they're ginormous. But they're soooo comfortable. 

I'll check my wiring. It might be my imagination or something, but I'll keep trying. 

After downloading the Realtek drivers, is this how they should sound without the DAC/amp? I don't really notice a quality difference, but certain parts are even more "sorted" than they were before the driver download. I'm still working on getting that Magni 2, though.

I really have no idea what you are hearing through your ears, so I don't know. Probably. Get the amp if you're paranoid.