Switching from iOS to android

Faceplant

So, In two days my Samsung Galaxy S2 (My first android device) will arrive in the mail, and I thought I would document my switch from using an Iphone 3g to the Galaxy S2 for the first time. Let me know what you guys think about this idea, or if it has been done before (I know Linus is doing his iOS to windows videos, so I thought I would do something like that with switching from iOS to android)

Day 1 (Pre-switch)

I am already looking forward to it, as I will no longer have to deal with using iTunes to sync all of my music/films/podcast to my new phone. However, I'm slightly nervous as my contract will last for two years, and I hopefully haven't made the wrong choice of phone. I was originally planning on getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16gb, but I could not find it from any of the cell phone providers in the Uk. I'll be using my new phone as a complete replacement, Including my ipod for music, so hopefully the music player on the s2 is good, which it no doubt will be, although I may need to buy a SD card as I have way more than 16bg of music on my computer

Just thought I'll give you a few tips and precautions.

When you first bootup the device and have it working, somewhere down the line it will ask you if you have a Google account(more like a gmail account), by doing this it will save all your contacts that you ever put into the phone to your gmail account so if you ever switch to another Android phone, when you sign into your Google account all your contacts will be readded to the new phone. The app store/Google Play store also is connected via your Google account. You don't have to buy music or anything from the store, but it's an option if you wish to choose it. Everything is integrated and conjoined in some way with your Google account, so if you haven't already made one, I suggest you do and start typing in your contacts from your old phone so they will be added to your new phone automatically.

Also, right when I get a new phone, I always go into the "Settings" section of the phone and configure it on how I want it, you can always download themes and wallpapers from the Google store or just get them from your computer. Other than that, just take your time and don't get stressed if something happens, just Google the problem(as the phone has been out for a while now) and there should be a solution. One of my relatives is currently using the S2 and it's perfect for them, haven't really played around with it, but they have no problems with the device.

Best of luck and I will make a note to read your progress. (:

@elchondo Noted, I already have most of my music and photo's set aside for when my phone arrives. I'm debating weather I should put Ics on it, as it comes with gingerbread, but from what I can tell using custom rom's voids the warranty of the phone, and apart from the new task manager and the data usage graph there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two, none worth voiding the warranty from anyway, unless there is some sort of download you can get directly from Samsung to update to ics, but I'm not sure. I have been watching/reading more about the phone, and I feel right now I made the right decision, I was limited to £25 a month, and the S3 was way out of my budget, however the S3 mini was an option, although apart from the display, the S3 seems to be a little lacking is cpu power, for games and things, and I really didn't like the feeling of I when I had a shot of it in the three store the other day, I much prefer the big screen and feeling of the full size S2 and S3. I am looking into case's the now, but because the phone has been out for nearly 2 years there is so many to choose from, do you have any suggestions? Thanks for the feedback