Best headphones for $250 CAN

BLCT

Greetings from Canada! I've been wanting to step up my audio game lately. I've been using Siberia v2's, and the Razer Krakens for years and I think it is time for me to go for legit headphones instead of "GAMING HEADPHONES". I will mostly use them for listening to music (on my phone (iPhone 5s) and PC), and maybe a few games. I listen to a broad group type of music. Most of them being techno/house/drumstep, rock and roll, punk rock, RnB, hiphop, and some rap. I've been told it is best to invest into a amp/dac before I buy headphones like the "Objective2 + ODAC". While I can tell the audio differences on the Krakens and the siberia, I still DO NOT understand when people say "It sounds very warm" or "it's very flat". Please bear with me! What should I do ? People been telling me to just buy the "ATH-M50x" it's a very good headphone for your money, Maybe it helps to say that, I do plan in picking up the habit of DJING very soon. What's the best value for my money !? Thanks!  :D

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

I don't know if it's better than those, but these are damn good 

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B004FEEY9A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1451019466&sr=8-3π=SY200_QL40&keywords=sennheiser+hd+598&dpPl=1&dpID=41ljcZIdgGL&ref=plSrch

Same drivers as the HD 598, the sound stage is a bit different though. 

They're also on sale, so they're way cheaper than the M50Xs.

I used to be quite active here.

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86 

:D i have the m40x and they sound GREAT and these are the m50x and they have a little more bass and look cool. If you want get the blue ones they look sick but they are 300$ :(

Nice! How's the sound stage ?!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B004FEEY9A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1451019466&sr=8-3π=SY200_QL40&keywords=sennheiser+hd+598&dpPl=1&dpID=41ljcZIdgGL&ref=plSrch

I dont seem to find it anywhere near me :/ and can you explain the difference between closed and open back headphones ? 

Nice! How's the sound stage ?!

I dont seem to find it anywhere near me :/ and can you explain the difference between closed and open back headphones ? 

I can answer both. 

Closed back are your standard headphones. Good for studios and noisy environments. 

Open back are (as the name suggests) open for background sound to come in, and a bit of sound escapes, too. On open backed, the sound stage is more open and sounds (can) sound more true. 

As for the first question, the sound stage is great. There's a little foam piece that makes it a bit worse (it's one of the only things that makes it different from the 598s) but you can remove it and it makes them sound almost identical to their $100 more expensive brothers. 

I can answer both. 

Closed back are your standard headphones. Good for studios and noisy environments. 

Open back are (as the name suggests) open for background sound to come in, and a bit of sound escapes, too. On open backed, the sound stage is more open and sounds (can) sound more true. 

As for the first question, the sound stage is great. There's a little foam piece that makes it a bit worse (it's one of the only things that makes it different from the 598s) but you can remove it and it makes them sound almost identical to their $100 more expensive brothers. 

Thanks for helping! I will try to find it, as if right now I dont see it anywhere near me.

Thanks for helping! I will try to find it, as if right now I dont see it anywhere near me.

It's on sale on Amazon. I don't think many stores stock those kinds of headphones. (nice ones lol) 

@BLCT ALSO remember the the 558s are open backed, so I wouldn't recommend them for any kind of noisy environment. The M50Xs are closed, so if you're using them for train/bus rides Ect, get those. They are both very excellent headphones. 

I heard people say otherwise, "M50xs are overrated" that is.

I can personally recommend the Beyerdynamic custom one pro: http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphone-Accessory-Microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451020689&sr=1-1

EDIT: I suggest going to a local shop and at leat listening to some headphones proposes. Other people can't really tell you which headphones you will like.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

It's on sale on Amazon. I don't think many stores stock those kinds of headphones. (nice ones lol) 

@BLCT ALSO remember the the 558s are open backed, so I wouldn't recommend them for any kind of noisy environment. The M50Xs are closed, so if you're using them for train/bus rides Ect, get those. They are both very excellent headphones. 

Hmm I see, then I cannot use that for DJing. I shall explore more good headphones then :) THanks for all the help!

I heard people say otherwise, "M50xs are overrated" that is.

I can personally recommend the Beyerdynamic custom one pro: http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphone-Accessory-Microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451020689&sr=1-1

EDIT: I suggest going to a local shop and at leat listening to some headphones proposes. Other people can't really tell you which headphones you will like.

Hmm That's a good point! Thanks for the tip!

I finally moved from my Siberia V2's that I've had for the last 4.5 years to Sennheiser HD558's I picked up for $100 CAD off Amazon this last Cyber Monday.

Why I didn't do this before, I'll never know. The sound is so much better as a whole. Not quite so base heavy, but extremely clear (which works great for games that rely on positional audio). Open back design a Non-issue in my books. I've heard of a mod to make them more closed back, but never looked into it personally.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

aww man you guys have it tough in Canada. It costs $99 in the US which is $138 Canadian dolllars 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

aww man you guys have it tough in Canada. It costs $99 in the US which is $138 Canadian dolllars 

Good thing I'm not in Canada :)

Good thing I'm not in Canada :)

:P

Yeah the little piece of foam (its actually not that little) Really handicapped the 558s in the mids and highs and make it sound a little muffled. 

*Compared to when it was removed 

But the 598 are a little more comfy. But I will agree it sound about 90 - 95% of each other with the foam removed. Honestly if I had a blind A/B test I could not tell you which one sounded better. 

The 558 suited me better tho, As they have a slightly more bass reflected back, giving it a really slight more rumble. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q