2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13 good buy in 2015?

Rekcut722

I might be picking up a 2013 macbook pro retina 13 for around $750-$800. Is this a good buy. El Capitan really improves performance on older laptops. For example, my 2010 macbook air is running amazingly well for a laptop, much less a 5 year old one. This being said, should I save up and wait until I have enough money to buy one straight from Apple, or should i grab this deal while i can? (this purchase is through craigslist, which I'm very familiar with)

The specs are: 

Processor: 2.4 ghz i5

Memory: 8gb 
Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 md

Storage: 256gb ssd

I might be picking up a 2013 macbook pro retina 13 for around $750-$800. Is this a good buy. El Capitan really improves performance on older laptops. For example, my 2010 macbook air is running amazingly well for a laptop, much less a 5 year old one. This being said, should I save up and wait until I have enough money to buy one straight from Apple, or should i grab this deal while i can? (this purchase is through craigslist, which I'm very familiar with)

The specs are: 

Storage: trying to get them to tell me

I say save up and take advantage of the student discount.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

I wouldn't say that it's a good buy. If I were you, I'd look for a refurbished 2013 (or newer) MacBook Pro with a dedicated GPU, or just save up for a current-gen MBP w/ the student discount.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

As much as I hate Apple, carrying around even a 5 pound laptop is painful. You could look into a Razer Blade though the MacBook is good for school also.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

As much as I hate Apple, carrying around even a 5 pound laptop is painful. You could look into a Razer Blade though the MacBook is good for school also.

I wouldn't recommend the MacBook to anybody. I don't know about you, but I just can't live off of one USB port. Especially USB-C, since I don't own any Type-C devices and I hate trackpads, so I always carry a wireless mouse with me. If I wanted to charge my laptop or insert a flash drive with the mouse plugged in, I just couldn't do that without having to carry around a handful of hubs and adapters (You could also just use a Bluetooth mouse, but Bluetooth's reliability is terrible imo).

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

A lot of people ask me to fix their old Macs and after reinstalling OSX I usually recommend they get an SSD / RAM upgrade- and the performance gains are pretty massive. I've even done this to a early 2011 mac book pro and it saw a really big gain in performance after updating to El Capitan and upgrading to an SSD and 8GB's of RAM.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I wouldn't recommend the MacBook to anybody. I don't know about you, but I just can't live off of one USB port. Especially USB-C, since I don't own any Type-C devices and I hate trackpads, so I always carry a wireless mouse with me. If I wanted to charge my laptop or insert a flash drive with the mouse plugged in, I just couldn't do that without having to carry around a handful of hubs and adapters.

Not everyone needs to plug things in though. Fewer and fewer people use mice and things everyday and you'd be amazed how few people need more than the 256GB of storage you get in the base model of it. 

Late 2013 Macbook Pro retina is awesome by the way. For $750-800 I'd go for it. Does everything I want a mobile system to do very quickly. It has a PCI based SSD instead of the sata based stuff all the windows laptops are still using. Not good for gaming but I'm sure you know that. Lowest price I've seen the new ones go for is Best Buy's $1099 they had up till today. 

I wouldn't recommend the MacBook to anybody. I don't know about you, but I just can't live off of one USB port. Especially USB-C, since I don't own any Type-C devices and I hate trackpads, so I always carry a wireless mouse with me. If I wanted to charge my laptop or insert a flash drive with the mouse plugged in, I just couldn't do that without having to carry around a handful of hubs and adapters (You could also just use a Bluetooth mouse, but Bluetooth's reliability is terrible imo).

I don't think he actually meant THE macbook (12") but what you said is true. I think he's referring to macbook pros.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Not everyone needs to plug things in though. Fewer and fewer people use mice and things everyday and you'd be amazed how few people need more than the 256GB of storage you get in the base model of it. 

Yeah, well... my brain's firmware hasn't been updated since 2007 so I'm slow to adapt to new tech norms. Trackpads are getting much better than they were before, but I still can't use one for more than 5 minutes.

My laptop weighs like 5 pounds and makes my book bag feel like a bag of bricks. I've seen people with like 8-10 pound laptops and I Greek bad, they honestly walk in with a sore back. Do you walk around with my only at least 10 pounds of books if not more, plus a laptop, plus all the papers. It's a huge pain. I don't give two shits, 256GB is plenty for a school laptop. Especially since most remove files from previous semester and I didn't even use up the storage from OneDrive and Google Docs so I just clear that. The Razer laptop or MacBook is perfect for university/college. No ifs and or buts about it. No matter if they are overpriced.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

My laptop weighs like 5 pounds and makes my book bag feel like a bag of bricks. I've seen people with like 8-10 pound laptops and I Greek bad, they honestly walk in with a sore back. Do you walk around with my only at least 10 pounds of books if not more, plus a laptop, plus all the papers. It's a huge pain. I don't give two shits, 256GB is plenty for a school laptop. Especially since most remove files from previous semester and I didn't even use up the storage from OneDrive and Google Docs so I just clear that. The Razer laptop or MacBook is perfect for university/college. No ifs and or buts about it. No matter if they are overpriced.

I never complained about the amount of storage or portability. It's a very portable laptop if you don't need to plug anything in except a charger occasionally and for normal average use 250GB should be fine. I was just sharing my opinion on why I personally couldn't use it on a daily basis. I'm not everybody.

Yep, I have a 8 pound dell m6600. Its fast, cool and quiet. But i don't like walking a mile with that in my backpack. Its power brick weights 2 pounds, more than some laptops.

I would recommend saving up and getting a new one for the following reasons:

• Early generation Retina Macbooks used proprietary SATA connectors for the SSD, newer ones use proprietary PCIe connectors.  I am not sure when they made the switch, but the PCIe SSD will give you nearly triple the R/W speed vs the SATA.
  • You get 1-2 Years of international warranty, I think Apple now offers 2 years globally but I am not certain hence why I wrote 1-2 years.  I've had my first generation rMBP's screen replaced twice for free.  First time was due to the issue with LG panels suffering from screen ghosting.  Second time was after the 1 year warranty period ended (at the time the standard warranty period was 1 year) and I damaged the screen.  They initially told me it would cost $750 to replace but when I went to pick it up they just gave me back my rMBP and told me I didn't have to pay.**
  • You have a 14 day no questions asked return policy if you don't like it.
  • If you're a student you should have a student discount.
  • I'm not a student nor do I own my own business, but I've registered as a business customer and receive discounts.
  • Resale value.  I keep mine in near pristine condition using some skins for protection.  https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/laptops/apple

**Name another company that waives a $750 repair bill for something out of warranty.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I would recommend saving up and getting a new one for the following reasons:

• Early generation Retina Macbooks used proprietary SATA connectors for the SSD, newer ones use proprietary PCIe connectors.  I am not sure when they made the switch, but the PCIe SSD will give you nearly triple the R/W speed vs the SATA.
  • You get 1-2 Years of international warranty, I think Apple now offers 2 years globally but I am not certain hence why I wrote 1-2 years.  I've had my first generation rMBP's screen replaced twice for free.  First time was due to the issue with LG panels suffering from screen ghosting.  Second time was after the 1 year warranty period ended (at the time the standard warranty period was 1 year) and I damaged the screen.  They initially told me it would cost $750 to replace but when I went to pick it up they just gave me back my rMBP and told me I didn't have to pay.**
  • You have a 14 day no questions asked return policy if you don't like it.
  • If you're a student you should have a student discount.
  • I'm not a student nor do I own my own business, but I've registered as a business customer and receive discounts.
  • Resale value.  I keep mine in near pristine condition using some skins for protection.  https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/laptops/apple

**Name another company that waives a $750 repair bill for something out of warranty.

The model he's looking at has the PCI SSD. 

The specs are: 

Storage: trying to get them to tell me

The 2013 rMBP is the first generation to run haswell, which benefited greatly in terms of battery life and graphics performance. Since then, subsequent generations have offered only modest improvements at best. 

I can't comment if it is a good deal at that price, but it's a fairly good laptop in its own right, spec-wise.