why is 4k so expensive

anton_ma_99

mainly, the reason for the that high price is that it's a newer technology, they have to pay off R&D and also the initial 4K technology isn't cost effiecient, it just works, once it becomes more widely accepted, it will eventually be picked up and there will be a push to make it more cost effiecient

but if they do it cheaper then they can sell more

The only problem with that there isn't a lot of people can make full use of them and the TV services for them aren't provided that well yet, im not sure if even a lot of games support it yet, triple a titles probably but idk about lower end stuff (I'm sure they do) 

I think for TV some of them use upscalers from 1080p, but IDK how that would compare to an actual true 4k source to the tv would look (Or if there's a difference)

But then again if there was a huge demand the supply for these services would be sooner probably

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

That is true but if you look at the range of prices you can see the distribution, of how much the assembly costs and how much the parts cost.  Hard drives have a rather high starting price actually; if you go below 1TB the price does not decrease much.  1TB WD Blue drive is $70, 500GB is $60, 320GB is also $60, 250GB is $55... so you have hit the point of diminishing manufacturing costs.  No matter what the capacity of the platters you use are, those are cheap, most of the cost is in the assembly there.

However SSDs can be found much cheaper than that (16GB SSDs for $30 or whatever) all the way up to far more expensive, it is far more dependent on capacity, because the cost of the chips is the defining factor in the price.  Soldering the chips is easy, as you said, but the more chips you put on, the more expensive it gets.

Thanks for enlightening me. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

How hard it is to assemble something has nothing to do with the cost of the parts

No but I wasn't talking about the individual parts but rather the cost to manufacture the full component and then to ship it correctly. If a HDD isn't shipped correctly it will probably break for example.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yea but they have created 55" 4K screens so why not 27" and 30" models which are smaller. The Seiki 4K TV is cheap and good so why exactly aren't there cheap ones from Dell, Asus and any others.

The Seiki ones are bare bones, no bells and whistles TV's. that's why.

Listening to a podcast I heard you can get a Seiki 50" 4K TV for $999 and a 39" 4K TV for $649 using the coupon code DEATHSQUAD

Pure LED TVs do exist, least as far as I recall. Dunno about monitors, haven't really looked around.

LED backlit LCD has essentially the same problem.

Does OLED count?

It's down to R&D and new tech.

They've gotta make sure that the new resolutions are going to work for a damn long time as it will become the new standard. It's also a new thing so why not milk it. I would.

Here's my answer: It's not that it's hard to make if it was it wouldn't be available to the public. It's because it costs a shit load of money to manufacture. That's it nothing else.

The better question you should be asking yourself is, why is 4k needed? 1080p honestly works just fine. Think about the average here. Most YouTube videos are only in 720p. That is going to look TINY on a 4k display, and having to stretch Video files is going to be stupid grainy. The only good it does is for games and multitasking. Which honestly gaming at 1080p is plenty fine and plenty clear. 

CPU:4770k  Motherboard:Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero  RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance  GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 780 OC 6GB  CaseFractal Design Define R4 (Blackout Edition)  Storage:Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB WD Caviar Black PSU:Corsair RM 850  Display(s):BenQ 24" GL2450-B  Cooling:Corsair H75  Keyboard:Compaq (Generic)  Mouse:G500