What would it take to run Star Citizen at max?

Duchess

Any guesses as to what it would take to run star citizen at max performance?  And just for fun the price?

Also what would you say the plateau is for star citizen? (where increased money spent on the computer starts to fall off in effectiveness)

Im sure you will need a badass PC if you want Ultra. But since it will be released soon (2025 i guess) we will know more.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Star Citizen is still a thing ?

Any guesses as to what it would take to run star citizen at max performance?  And just for fun the price?

Also what would you say the plateau is for star citizen? (where increased money spent on the computer starts to fall off in effectiveness)

~$1500, with some kick-butt pascal/arctic islands GPU

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Im sure you will need a badass PC if you want Ultra. But since it will be released soon (2025 i guess) we will know more.

the campaign should be out within 371 days;)

Can't give a definitive answer at this moment as the game is still in very heavy development. Right now, with the most recent Live build (Alpha 2.0) about everyone is experiencing frame drops and crashes here and there in the baby PU.

For me, with an overclocked 2500k and stock R9 290, I can run Arena Commander at any graphical setting (as if it matters right now, they don't change much ;)) butter smooth. They've made some great improvements and that aspect.

There is a new build in the test phase (PTU) for a small number of backers to test and it seems to bring yet again some added stability and beter performance. Keep your eye out for it and expect more improvements throughout next year.

In the end, what the plan is, the game is supposed to run at most systems, but more targeted at very high-end systems. The ideal is to be to people asking "But can it run Star Citizen" ;)

EDIT: Nice name you've got there :P

Edited by Wauthar

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

That simply cannot be answered right now.

After all, having played it on my rig, it runs at 20FPS on Medium settings and at 1080p.

It is VERY much in alpha, and needs a ton of optimisation before it can be rolled out proper.

Pretty, though.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Star Citizen is still a thing ?

Alpha version 2.0 came out fairly recently, so yeah. It's very much still a thing.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

This guys is rocking it with SLI 2*980 at 4k

This game isn't optimized yet, once it's released maybe a 970 can do it good at 1080p.

Alpha version 2.0 came out fairly recently, so yeah. It's very much still a thing.

Considering the shit load of hype it got when it was announced and how barely anyone talks about it now, i thought it was cancelled or something

When will it be released ? 2100 ?

Can't give a definitive answer at this moment as the game is still in very heavy development. Right now, with the most recent Live build (Alpha 2.0) about everyone is experiencing frame drops and crashes here and there in the baby PU.

For me, with an overclocked 2500k and stock R9 290, I can run Arena Commander at any graphical setting (as if it matters right now, they don't change much ;)) butter smooth. They've made some great improvements and that aspect.

There is a new build in the test phase (PTU) for a small number of backers to test and it seems to bring yet again some added stability and beter performance. Keep your eye out for it and expect more improvements throughout next year.

In the end, what the plan is, the game is supposed to run at most systems, but more targeted at very high-end systems. The ideal is to be to people asking "But can it run Star Citizen" ;)

EDIT: Nice name you've got there :P

thank you, very informative.  Thats why im in a pickle.  I want a computer than can fly around arena commander (my hp pavillion laptop has HEAVY lag and ive only tried the hanger, Im sure it would melt if i tried to fly a ship), but i dont want to buy a computer and then want a new one when the game comes out because it barely runs the PU.

EDIT: should i wait all the way up until the pu launches?  Or buy and upgrade?

And thanks, its almost always already taken lol.

probably the hardware we have no will not be able to max out at 60 fps when star citizen is released. imagine trying to max out GTA 5 on anything from 2012-2013 

also its hard to tell what runs the PU well right now as there is a bunch of server side bottlenecks that makes everyone run at low frames

Considering the shit load of hype it got when it was announced and how barely anyone talks about it now, i thought it was cancelled or something

I think its settled into more of a community now than a gaming wide phenom.

And the campaign supposed to be out in 2016 (probably late), but the PU, well probably lol.

They are making and entire galaxy tho, with everything detailed.  They just figured out how to go from planet surface to outerspace with no loading screen so thats pretty cool.  Theres a pretty youtube video on it called pupil to planet if youre interested.

EDIT: actually its one thread below this one xD

2017 ish is what they are aiming for but it definitely hasn't died off, honestly more people are talking about it/ playing it now than ever

A computer built with the best parts that 2018 has to offer.

Don't be an a'hole obviously you have not being following them so don't assume.

Around 2016-2017

lives on

BAKABT

Don't be an a'hole obviously you have not being following them so don't assume.

Around 2016-2017

Don't let a troll into your heart.  It's pretty obvious that many are talking about SC if you just google Star Citizen news and see the literally hundreds of news articles covering it over the last month. 

I'm running a 4690k. GTX970 and 16gb Ram and I get a smoothish 60fps on medium but I haven't tried pushing it higher yet

They hit 20 mil and the community wanted to keep the funding open so they decided to go for a bigger game as thats what the community wanted, they've opened up a lot in 2.0, still a lot to do but production has increased.

Squadron 42 sounds almost finished but this is Chris Roberts so he won't release it till its perfect, if this was EA it would probably be released now.

I'm running a 4690k. GTX970 and 16gb Ram and I get a smoothish 60fps on medium but I haven't tried pushing it higher yet.

You can.  I run it on very high with a 4790k, 16 GB RAM, and a GTX770 1.1 and get 45 FPS ave.