Sapphire 390 vs MSI 970. Reliability vs FPS

BulkyZaNka

Set the shadow distance to 10000, but once you do that you cannot open the graphics options because the game will set itself to medium. You still get dips but you also don't have the game looking like its on a PS4 lol.

It won't because I'm playing 1440p and not 1080p peasant HD (Jk). I'll see how it does though. And before, I was playing with mods that bumped up the performance quite a bit. As long as the shadows can utilized my really overkill cpu(for gaming really), then I'm fine. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

It won't because I'm playing 1440p and not 1080p peasant HD (Jk). I'll see how it does though. And before, I was playing with mods that bumped up the performance quite a bit. As long as the shadows can utilized my really overkill cpu(for gaming really), then I'm fine.

I too play at 1440, it's beautiful. In town the lower shadow settings don't bug me, out in the open areas it looks like shit below 10000. So I'm OK with a few dips for the beauty

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I too play at 1440, it's beautiful. In town the lower shadow settings don't bug me, out in the open areas it looks like shit below 10000. So I'm OK with a few dips for the beauty

Agreed. I really don't get why people were complaining about the graphics of Fallout 4(actually maybe they stopped after it came out). The game was really beautiful despite the performance issues. Lighting and the amount of detail(some of the textures sucked but most of them were great), made the game look great.

Agreed. I really don't get why people were complaining about the graphics of Fallout 4(actually maybe they stopped after it came out). The game was really beautiful despite the performance issues. Lighting and the amount of detail(some of the textures sucked but most of them were great), made the game look great.

I would agree, the 'it looks like re branded skyrim' claims are unfounded IMHO.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I am admittedly far removed from the vanilla version of the game. I think I have at least ten texture mods running plus a 50% increase in detail distance. Causes slow load times even with a SSD but so worth it.

I am admittedly far removed from the vanilla version of the game. I think I have at least ten texture mods running plus a 50% increase in detail distance. Causes slow load times even with a SSD but so worth it.

Lol. I too ran with texture mods and increased water tessellation plus a bunch of other crap. Fallout 4 made me mod all my other games like Witcher 3 and MGSV. Modding brings out the true superiority of PC gaming over console. Actually console really can't compare to PC so people should just stop lol.

It's this argument once again. From what I see CSGO favors Intel/Nvidia setups but in raw performances the 390 can keep up with a 980.

All in all, 390 if you want better performance in a decent number of games/plan to Crossfire, 970 for OCing

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It's this argument once again. From what I see CSGO favors Intel/Nvidia setups but in raw performances the 390 can keep up with a 980.

All in all, 390 if you want better performance in a decent number of games/plan to Crossfire, 970 for OCing

Buuuuuullllll Shhhhhiiiittt LOL!!! A 980 DISTROYS a 390. A 980 beats a Fury at 1080.

Buuuuuullllll Shhhhhiiiittt LOL!!! A 980 DISTROYS a 390. A 980 beats a Fury at 1080.

In terms of raw performance. This is most noticeable in Star Wars Battlefront where the FPS difference just gets funny.

In terms of raw performance. This is most noticeable in Star Wars Battlefront where the FPS difference just gets funny.

How so? Which test? Which driver?

You guys are too much.

uh

who brainwashed you

kappa

Says the person saying a 390 is better than a 980. The 980 is one of the best cards available for 1080p, and 1080p is the most common display resolution used.

Seriously. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Says the person saying a 390 is better than a 980. The 980 is one of the best cards available for 1080p, and 1080p is the most common display resolution used.

Seriously. I'm getting too old for this shit.

I mean yes, the 980 is better than the 390 in gaming. Am I gonna lie? No.

But where the 390 just roundhouse kicks the 970 is where the card is actually taken advantage of. It has soaring amounts of compute power, and in turn, makes it a good fit for the Frostbite engine.

I mean yes, the 980 is better than the 390 in gaming. Am I gonna lie? No.

But where the 390 just roundhouse kicks the 970 is where the card is actually taken advantage of. It has soaring amounts of compute power, and in turn, makes it a good fit for the Frostbite engine.

There ya go, was that so hard? Why you guys find it necessary to spin these fishing tails I'll never know. Stick to the truth. If Radeon ever decided to earn the devotion you guys honor them with and release drivers that take advantage of the GPU's they produce, it would change the industry.

There ya go, was that so hard? Why you guys find it necessary to spin these fishing tails I'll never know. Stick to the truth. If Radeon ever decided to earn the devotion you guys honor them with and release drivers that take advantage of the GPU's they produce, it would change the industry.

I mean I typically try to. I wasn't trying to say that the 390 = 980 in games but I guess that's how I spat it out.

I mean I typically try to. I wasn't trying to say that the 390 = 980 in games but I guess that's how I spat it out.

The problem is that AMD is doing exactly what people nailed Nvidia for doing. AMD released a driver that broke the compass in Fallout 4 but gave them the fps numbers they needed to beat Nvidia. If you fix the compass you lose the fps, does AMD care? No, because their fans will crush anyone who questions the decision. Nvidia is winning because outside this forum people know that Nvidia GPUs perform better in games, not arguments.

It's great to enjoy the hobby, but give back by getting involved and protecting it.

The problem is that AMD is doing exactly what people nailed Nvidia for doing. AMD released a driver that broke the compass in Fallout 4 but gave them the fps numbers they needed to beat Nvidia. If you fix the compass you lose the fps, does AMD care? No, because their fans will crush anyone who questions the decision. Nvidia is winning because outside this forum people know that Nvidia GPUs perform better in games, not arguments.

It's great to enjoy the hobby, but give back by getting involved and protecting it.

I agree, Fallout runs fairly well on my 390x but despite AMD claiming they 'fixed' the compass issue in the driver patch-notes, it's still broken. However there is a hot-fix someone made that you can download.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I agree, Fallout runs fairly well on my 390x but despite AMD claiming they 'fixed' the compass issue in the driver patch-notes, it's still broken. However there is a hot-fix someone made that you can download.

The fix replaces files that are the cause of both the compass problem and fps boost. What makes it the dick move of the century is that it broke everyone's compass, AMD knew completely that it would happen but getting the driver out so as to be able to post better fps than Nvidia was more important. AMD knew it would be an easy fix, that would remove the fps gain that has their cards beating Nvidia. So they made you fix a compass and put yourself right where you were before the driver performance wise for a pissing match with Nvidia.

Eh, Firestrike doesn't really benefit from the CPU anyways. My friend with a 980ti and overclocked 5960x only scores a little higher than me mainly because of the 980ti which scores 15% better than the 390x for graphics. 

Well when you reach the high end cpus the difference gets lesser and lesser. But with the FX 8350, i5s, i3s the difference is pretty noticeable.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

R9 390. Both cards use very high quality chips, so reliability is not a concern.

But the 390 has more vram, and will perform better in dx 12 games.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

R9 390. Both cards use very high quality chips, so reliability is not a concern.

But the 390 has more vram, and will perform better in dx 12 games.

It will? When you were in the future who won the presidential election?

It will? When you were in the future who won the presidential election?

Im taking about current dx 12 benchmarks, which show gcn is getting better performance than maxwell, partly thanks to gcn's better compute and floating point performance.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Im taking about current dx 12 benchmarks, which show gcn is getting better performance than maxwell, partly thanks to gcn's better compute and floating point performance.

Which has helped AMD GPUs exactly in the latest games that have released? Features only matter if developers use them, and the only reason games like Ashes used them is to gain attention. Before every release of a new DX the world is going to change, look back and tell me where anything changed. No one knows what's going to happen in The next year. Don't make your purchase decisions based off fortune cookies.