Sapphire 390 vs MSI 970. Reliability vs FPS

BulkyZaNka

I play all my games at my max clock before I see performance degradation. For everybody it's different. But it's pointless not to run the 390(x) not overclocked.

Maybe I'll make myself a lil more clear. Very rarely will peeps run their games on benchmark overclocks. Maybe for you, you do. I wouldn't want to put my card at 1.3v for 24/7. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I play all my games at my max clock before I see performance degradation. For everybody it's different. But it's pointless not to run the 390(x) not overclocked.

I hate to say this but not all game like oc, some not even stable with oc, so for u to say it is pointless sound funny

Whether it is oc or not, it is not pointless

Maybe I'll make myself a lil more clear. Very rarely will peeps run their games on benchmark overclocks. Maybe for you, you do. I wouldn't want to put my card at 1.3v for 24/7. 

Like I said. The 390x sees performance degredation at higher voltages. So if you can run 1160 at +30mv 24/7 it's perfectly fine. +30mv is nothing. Hawaii users were running their cards +200mv 24/7. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

I hate to say this but not all game like oc, some not even stable with oc, so for u to say it is pointless sound funny

Whether it is oc or not, it is not pointless

You my friend have obviously never overclocked anything. Either that or you've been doing a very poor job. 

You my friend have obviously never overclocked anything. Either that or you've been doing a very poor job.

I hate to say this but I have oc cpu, gpu, and ram before, if u think I haven't then OK.

And if u think everyone oc their gpu all the time then you are wrong becuz most people don't, only some do

Like I said. The 390x sees performance degredation at higher voltages. So if you can run 1160 at +30mv 24/7 it's perfectly fine. +30mv is nothing. Hawaii users were running their cards +200mv 24/7. 

1.3v is about +100mv. Yea, tell me those peeps were running +200mv on air. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I hate to say this but I have oc cpu, gpu, and ram before, if u think I haven't then OK.

I think you haven't because you say some games are unstable. Overclock 101. If it's unstable in some games that means it's a BAD Overclock. You need to try again. Overclocking isn't a 2 step process. I spent almost 2 hours making my 390x rock stable. 

1.3v is about +100mv. Yea, tell me those peeps were running +200mv on air. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/33/radeon-r9-290x-overclocked-and-benchmarked-at-4k/index.html. Here. Dual Tri-X 290x's at +200 with 1200 on the core. I've seen many instances of +200 on air. Trust me. I've been playing around with Hawaii for a long time.

I think you haven't because you say some games are unstable. Overclock 101. If it's unstable in some games that means it's a BAD Overclock. You need to try again. Overclocking isn't a 2 step process. I spent almost 2 hours making my 390x rock stable.

Like I said before some games do like oc and some don't, if you can't understand that then idk what to say.

The people that oc their gpu or whatever are those into hardware, for average consumer, they not gonna even bother

Like I said before some games do like oc and some don't, if you can't understand that then idk what to say.

The people that oc their gpu or whatever are those into hardware, for average consumer, they not gonna even bother

"Those into hardware". Excuse me. This is freaking Linus Tech Tips, not Mac Forums. And the 390x is an enthusiast grade card mind you. Or at least marketed to be. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/33/radeon-r9-290x-overclocked-and-benchmarked-at-4k/index.html. Here. Dual Tri-X 290x's at +200 with 1200 on the core. I've seen many instances of +200 on air. Trust me. I've been playing around with Hawaii for a long time.

Great, now tell them to run that daily, by the time the card dies. The heat & noise would have already killed you. Though the fans that sapphire uses are pretty silent, I'm taking the other 290x models into consideration. 

Would you want to run a DCII 290x at 1.4v? Mmm I guess not. 

"Those into hardware". Excuse me. This is freaking Linus Tech Tips, not Mac Forums. And the 390x is an enthusiast grade card mind you. Or at least marketed to be.

So my friend who has a 390, does he has to oc it? I don't think so. Individual has choices.

So what about linustechtips, for me this is a place helping people making choice on their purchase and answer their questions and not a place forcing them to oc.

Just becuz it is marketed as an enthusiast grade doesn't mean you have to oc it. You like oc that's your choice.

I don't hate oc beside I think it is fun.

I don't get why you get so work up

I'm not getting worked up lol. It's just a fact that if you get errors in games then your overclock isn't stable. Errors are caused by your GPU doing the math incorrectly because of your bad overclock. If you do it right it's fine. Your friend might not need to overclock because he might not need it. I need it because I can't run demanding games smoothly at 1440p. If I had a 980ti or Fury X then I wouldn't need it most of the time. 

Great, now tell them to run that daily, by the time the card dies. The heat & noise would have already killed you. Though the fans that sapphire uses are pretty silent, I'm taking the other 290x models into consideration. 

Would you want to run a DCII 290x at 1.4v? Mmm I guess not. 

You're not supposed the get the DCUII 290x in the first place. Asus literally ripped the cooler of the 780 and transplanted it to the 290x. 

I'm not getting worked up lol. It's just a fact that if you get errors in games then your overclock isn't stable. Errors are caused by your GPU doing the math incorrectly because of your bad overclock. If you do it right it's fine. Your friend might not need to overclock because he might not need it. I need it because I can't run demanding games smoothly at 1440p. If I had a 980ti or Fury X then I wouldn't need it most of the time.

See you need more performance so you do it and you know how as for my friend he doesn't. I did oc before some games love it and I can push my gpu more but some don't so I have to limit, it is not about bad oc. I tried tons of games before for testing. So unless if I want an oc work for all I have to tweaking it to the right amount.

And radeon software has the feature let to u set an oc for each game, that means I can set high oc for this and low for that.

You're not supposed the get the DCUII 290x in the first place. Asus literally ripped the cooler of the 780 and transplanted it to the 290x. 

See? You won't even consider that card. Very little 290x have coolers with the cooling capability to cool the card on air when you go 1.4v. If you tell me Vapour X Tri X or Lightning. I wouldn't doubt the ability of the coolers on those cards to cool that amount of overviolt on air. The second thing now is to find those cards brand new in the market. 

Now if those peeps you mentioned were running those models, then I'd believe it.

See? You won't even consider that card. Very little 290x have coolers with the cooling capability to cool the card on air when you go 1.4v. If you tell me Vapour X Tri X or Lightning. I wouldn't doubt the ability of the coolers on those cards to cool that amount of overviolt on air. The second thing now is to find those cards brand new in the market. 

Now if those peeps you mentioned were running those models, then I'd believe it.

This back and forth is sort of tiring. The 290 series got hot with most coolers because of the overall laziness of the manufacturers that worked with the 780 series before. Put it under water or decent air cooler then plenty of people were running at over +100mv fine. I run my 390x with my max overclock before performance degradation. +30mv is more than acceptable. Nothing wrong with running +30mv or even +50mv 24/7. We're talking about more than 2x that on the 290x. 

See you need more performance so you do it and you know how as for my friend he doesn't. I did oc before some games love it and I can push my gpu more but some don't so I have to limit, it is not about bad oc. I tried tons of games before for testing. So unless if I want an oc work for all I have to tweaking it to the right amount.

And radeon software has the feature let to u set an oc for each game, that means I can set high oc for this and low for that.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/377632-is-it-possible-for-an-overclock-to-be-stable-in-some-games-but-unstable-in-others/

already a thread about this. Setting different overclocks for different games is a good idea. But you're barely running on the edge there. It really depends what card you're running too. If you're running the 290x or 390x I know for a fact that it can appear stable for a bit but it will artifact after a while. Different games stress the card differently. That's why it's best to test your overclock in a game that hates bad overclocks. 

This back and forth is sort of tiring. The 290 series got hot with most coolers because of the overall laziness of the manufacturers that worked with the 780 series before. Put it under water or decent air cooler then plenty of people were running at over +100mv fine. I run my 390x with my max overclock before performance degradation. +30mv is more than acceptable. Nothing wrong with running +30mv or even +50mv 24/7. We're talking about more than 2x that on the 290x. 

See? "under water..."

I aint talking about just merely +50/+30mV here. I'm talking about +100mv and up. Other than watercooled, aftermarket coolers, Vapour X Tri X or Lightning models, no one else will probably be running at 1.4v 24/7. 

I run my 390x at 1105mhz. I don't overvolt it in games, simply because I don't need to. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/377632-is-it-possible-for-an-overclock-to-be-stable-in-some-games-but-unstable-in-others/

already a thread about this. Setting different overclocks for different games is a good idea. But you're barely running on the edge there. It really depends what card you're running too. If you're running the 290x or 390x I know for a fact that it can appear stable for a bit but it will artifact after a while. Different games stress the card differently. That's why it's best to test your overclock in a game that hates bad overclocks.

I don't why you link me the thread since I don't need it

Also plzz don't repeat, it is painful to read the same thing but word differently

I know how to oc, all I want to say is that oc doesn't favor all games.

See? "under water..."

I aint talking about just merely +50/+30mV here. I'm talking about +100mv and up. Other than watercooled, aftermarket coolers, Vapour X Tri X or Lightning models, no one else will probably be running at 1.4v 24/7. 

I run my 390x at 1105mhz. I don't overvolt it in games, simply because I don't need to. 

I also said decent air coolers too. No point in taking my quote out of context. My point was that plenty of people do run their max clocks, especially with the 390x because the performance suffers at higher voltages anyways. Overvolting to even +200mv on Hawaii is fine as long as your temps are good. However, the 390x isn't even designed to go near +100mv really. Their Bioses are completely different. Wouldn't expect you to know all this if you just switched from a 280x. 

It's honestly extremely painful to read everything you're saying. I'll just end it here. If you accept an overclock which is unstable in some scenarios and stable in others, that's your own call because it's your computer. 

I also said decent air coolers too. No point in taking my quote out of context. My point was that plenty of people do run their max clocks, especially with the 390x because the performance suffers at higher voltages anyways. Overvolting to even +200mv on Hawaii is fine as long as your temps are good. However, the 390x isn't even designed to go near +100mv really. Their Bioses are completely different. Wouldn't expect you to know all this if you just switched from a 280x. 

Oh? Taking you post our of context? 

VEn0d3R.jpg

Hmm, I don't see the words "decent air coolers" any where. Though you do say it after several replies, but this post was the one that was really doubtful. I've already said, I do not doubt that some peeps run their max overclocks at +100mv and above if the cards had decent coolers. Quit with the expectations, I don't care about what you know, nor do I care about what you think I know. 

Edit: Do the "half the people on LTT" Include me?

Oh? Taking you post our of context? 

VEn0d3R.jpg

Hmm, I don't see the words "decent air coolers" any where. Though you do say it after several replies, but this post was the one that was really doubtful. I've already said, I do not doubt that some peeps run their max overclocks at +100mv and above if the cards had decent coolers. Quit with the expectations, I don't care about what you know, nor do I care about what you think I know. 

I literally said Hawaii users. Which encompasses people who ran decent air coolers and under water. If I said "all hawaii users" then it would be a different story. I don't have any expectations for you dude. If you want to say stuff based on your own assumptions and not actually having owned different hawaii cards or spent a considerable amount of time researching these cards that's fine by me. And I would say it's fairly basic logic that you wouldn't be running +200mv on the DCUII coolers because it was one of those terrible aftermarket coolers that contributed to people complaining about the 290(x) throttling. You can't overclock a card if it's already throttling at stock. Definitely not +200mv. I know I'm going overboard with these graphics cards shenanigans, but I am again, an enthusiast on break whose not near his desktop so here's where I'll be for now. 

I literally said Hawaii users. Which encompasses people who ran decent air coolers and under water. If I said "all hawaii users" then it would be a different story. I don't have any expectations for you dude. If you want to say stuff based on your own assumptions and not actually having owned different hawaii cards or spent a considerable amount of time researching these cards that's fine by me. And I would say it's fairly basic logic that you wouldn't be running +200mv on the DCUII coolers because it was one of those terrible aftermarket coolers that contributed to people complaining about the 290(x) throttling. You can't overclock a card if it's already throttling at stock. Definitely not +200mv. I know I'm going overboard with these graphics cards shenanigans, but I am again, an enthusiast on break whose not near his desktop so here's where I'll be for now. 

Nah, I'll stop the conversation here. We can have this another day. Especially after seeing your new post on ocn. Wouldn't want you to be "done" with LTT forums either. Right now what we're doing is just arguing about the wording in out statements. 

Have a nice day  ;)