How can I become a better typist?

NotSoHonestAbe

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to become a faster typer? I'm kind of a touch typist, and touch typing I can get around 45 wpm with a lot of mistakes, but while looking at the keyboard I can get around 70 wpm with very little mistakes. I want to be able to type at level without looking at the keyboard.

When I was in school, we used to use this program called Typing Tutor (I think?). Basically it's a program where it tells you where you place your fingers on the keyboard, and which fingers are suppose to press which keys and what not.

I just got quicker at typing by typing over the years.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Buy a Das Keyboard Ultimate. It'll force you to know the keys by heart.

mechanical keyboards help

I get around 95 wpm average

(higher when drinking coffee)

I use blue Cherry MX switches

and I have been typing since I was about 5

so...

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

It all depends on your form, are you using the poke method? The proper way would be to put you're index fingers on f and j. Then middle fingers on d and k. The ring fingers should go on s and l. Pinkies should go on a and ;. The thumbs should go on space. Lets say you want to type "rewind" Bring your left index finger up to "r" then left middle finger up to "e" and the left ring finger up to "w". All your fingers should be moving only vertically, besides your index fingers which are used to type "t,y,g,h,b,v,n,r". Hope this helped! Practice makes perfect!

Try the 10 finger system, if you learn it it'll be really quick, but its not for everyone.

Also a mechanical keyboard will help, cherry MD blue and brown switches are good for typing.

Yeah I dont' know why people prefer that :P my hand usually rest at LEFT: shift,a,s,d, under spacebar RIGHT:j,o,p,[, space

haha

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I could never do the 10 finger method. I type with my 2 fingers and my thumbs for hitting spacebar.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Mechanical keyboards help, so does practicing.

I would say that you should just push yourself harder. Try opening a notepad and just start typing. Just worry about typing as swiftly as possible. Don't worry about mistakes in the beginning, just try pushing yourself to type faster. When you are up on a good speed start thinking about your typing mistakes. Do note that this takes time, as most anything else does. But practice makes master. Direct translation from danish.

Good luck.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

For a free method, try playing typing games, whenever i'm bored, i always play this, not sure how much of an improvement you will find but it's quite fun. :D

You'd get faster through practice (pretty much what Dave said, try typing games like typeracer). The main thing is using two hands to type with good seat posture and the main thing is to NOT LOOK at the keys.

Left hand on asdf

Right hand on jkl;

+1 to what KevinJ said. Get yourself a keyboard without any keys on it and it will force you to know where every key is. http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate/ is the keyboard that I'm referring to. Linus did a unboxing here,

It'll be weird at first but you'll get used to it.... eventually :p it will pay off.

For me mechanical keyboard helped a LOT, I was using a Logitech G110 but yeah, after using it for 2 years of heavy use the key quality was just not up to the mark so I upgraded to this Razer Black widow ultimate and it did make a lot of difference in my typing speed. at first typing on a mechanical keyboard is a bit tough but once you get used to it, trust me you will never look back on those membrane keyboards, I'm saving money for a second Razer black widow ultimate 2013 for my media center pc sometimes I sit there and make presentations :P

So yeah get yourself a mechanical keyboard, you will love it and yeah practice typing on it. Personally I prefer the blue switches but they are a bit loud when you type but the sound makes a difference, for me the sound is quite helpful when playing games, some love it some dont though :)

I would defiantly recommend getting a mechanical keyboard, as they make a HUGE difference. Also if you tend to look at your hands while you type, try practicing without looking. Just keep typing!

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

you can also train here. I do this in school when bored :D

-  AMD Phenom II X4 965BE - Asrock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro - 2x 4GB G.Skill - AMD Radeon 7850 VTX3D X-Edition 2GB - Samsung 840 120GB - Seagate Barracuda 1TB - WD Green 320GB - Thermaltake SmartPower 530W -

- Logitech G500 - Steelseries Qck - Sennheiser HD449 + Zalman MIC1 - Corsair Vengeance K70 -

I use websites like

TypeRacer

KeyHero

10FastFingers

To practice, and you can also download the game "Typing of the Dead", which is a fun (and funny) way to practice typing

I find TypeRacer to be a better and more realistic typing game than 10FastFinger though, because it's not just random words but actually sentences.

The only way you can get faster is by practice

I will say this though, while mechanical keyboards may not make you a better typist, they sure as hell are more comfortable, and maybe that may make your typing speed faster

There's no evidence behind it but I often do find myself typing faster on MX blues than rubberdomes

In a weekend, I went from 40WPM hunt and peck to 40WPM touch typing. In a month after that, I got to 70WPM, now I'm at 90WPM. Just went on this for a weekend and it's that simple.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Mavis Beacon will help you and just practices

type in dark, get familiar with your keyboard. It will be frustrating at first but you will get the hang of it.

OR just download a free software that helps with that.. =]

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty slow typer in english. Many times faster when typing in finnish :P

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I'm on about 104wpm with my membrane keyboard which is 'bottlenecking' my typing speed, planning to go mechanical soon ^.^

On topic: I don't really know HOW to become a better typist, but i've been using this keyboard for over 5 years now. The first step to being able to type quickly is to learn the placement of the letters by heart. If you can't resist looking at the keyboard while typing grab the Metadot Das Ultimate S (Blank Keycaps ftw :P), I'm sure your wpm would go up to at least the 80s range once you are able to type without looking at the keyboard.

At the end of the day, >>> PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

Get a mechanical keyboard. I noticed when typing, the tactile feed back always assured me of my keystrokes and I would type with less errors without looking.