pls help me

mynameiswag

Need a 7.1 Home Theater setup. Budget is $5000+ish (yeah VERY specific ikr)

Need a 7.1 Home Theater setup. Budget is $2000. Was thinking about one of these, one or two of these, and three pairs of these but I'm willing to spend more on a higher quality setup. Also would appreciate a projector recommendation. (Not part of the $2000 speaker budget)

Right. Why don't you try looking into internet direct companies for some really high quality products?

The two first companies have free trial periods and extraordinary customer service. When you call or email Power Sound Audio, you will be speaking directly with one of the owners (likely Tom).

Right. Why don't you try looking into internet direct companies for some really high quality products?

The two first companies have free trial periods and extraordinary customer service. When you call or email Power Sound Audio, you will be speaking directly with one of the owners (likely Tom).

Raised my budget to a lot more. Now I'm thinking about a maxed out tower system from Power Sound Audio with a sub-woofer from PSA or JTR. Which sub should I go for? 

Raised my budget to a lot more. Now I'm thinking about a maxed out tower system from Power Sound Audio with a sub-woofer from PSA or JTR. Which sub should I go for? 

To how much? If you're spending a lot, I recommend 2 or ideally 3 subs.

To how much? If you're spending a lot, I recommend 2 or ideally 3 subs.

Probably around 6K or 7K. Would prefer to bring it down to 5K or 4K but if I'm spending this much I might as well get higher quality.

Probably around 6K or 7K. Would prefer to bring it down to 5K or 4K but if I'm spending this much I might as well get higher quality.

What is the size of the room where you're building this system?

I'll tell you what... you won't be sorry you're increasing your budget at all. Power Sound Audio makes ridiculously good, loud, loud, clear, and impressive products. While yes, some of their electrical components are from other countries, nearly all of their products are hand built in Ohio with components from other American companies.

I can give you all of my recommendations, but ultimately, I think you should call Tom and chat with him directly about your room and your expectations. His number is on the website 330-349-0943.

So the PSA towers are actually quite new. I think they will start shipping in January. If you pre-order now you are likely going to be at the bottom of the list. You might not get yours until February or March. However, they are very similar to the massive "bookshelf" MTM-210 speakers. They add no additional benefit over the "bookshelf" speakers. If you want to save a few dollars, I'd go with the MTM-210 speakers, one MTM-210c for your center, and two to four MT-110sr for your surrounds. If you're going Atmos, you're going to break the bank  :) But that means you might need to buy a stand or two. I'll post some pictures of my setup for you. Luckily I have a small room and I'm forced (sort of) to have my subwoofers up front. So I use my subs as stands.

Now... as far as what subwoofers to get really depends on your room. I own two V3600i subs because I'm freaking crazy. All of their subwoofers are pretty good and huge, huge, huge!

I'd even be pushing you to JTR... but they are almost too much for most home theaters... case in point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4

I'll tell you what... you won't be sorry you're increasing your budget at all. Power Sound Audio makes ridiculously good, loud, loud, clear, and impressive products. While yes, some of their electrical components are from other countries, nearly all of their products are hand built in Ohio with components from other American companies.

I can give you all of my recommendations, but ultimately, I think you should call Tom and chat with him directly about your room and your expectations. His number is on the website 330-349-0943.

So the PSA towers are actually quite new. I think they will start shipping in January. If you pre-order now you are likely going to be at the bottom of the list. You might not get yours until February or March. However, they are very similar to the massive "bookshelf" MTM-210 speakers. They add no additional benefit over the "bookshelf" speakers. If you want to save a few dollars, I'd go with the MTM-210 speakers, one MTM-210c for your center, and two to four MT-110sr for your surrounds. If you're going Atmos, you're going to break the bank  :) But that means you might need to buy a stand or two. I'll post some pictures of my setup for you. Luckily I have a small room and I'm forced (sort of) to have my subwoofers up front. So I use my subs as stands.

Now... as far as what subwoofers to get really depends on your room. I own two V3600i subs because I'm freaking crazy. All of their subwoofers are pretty good and huge, huge, huge!

I'd even be pusthhing you to JTR... but they are almost too much for most home theaters... case in point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4

How does a MTM-210C for center, two MTM-210s for the front, and four MTM-210s for the surrounds sound? For subs I want clarity over punchyness so should I go with two S1500s? Yeah thinking about Atmos, just four more ceiling speakers right  :D

What is the size of the room where you're building this system?

Roughly 15x20 ft

For subs I want clarity over punchyness so should I go with the S3600I?

Why not both? Still going to recommend multiple subs, unless you like uneven response.

Why not both? Still going to recommend multiple subs, unless you like uneven response.

Should I get two S1500s then?

I second JohnT's suggestion that you should contact the company and chat with them about what would work best. But I expect they'll recommend more than one sub for optimal bass.

How does a MTM-210C for center, two MTM-210s for the front, and four MTM-210s for the surrounds sound? For subs I want clarity over punchyness so should I go with the S3600I?

Truthfully MTM-210s for surrounds is overkill. The 110 or 110sr are smaller and use the same tweeter. They have a very similar sound signature to the 210 speakers... they are just smaller. And dang seven 210 speakers is a butt load of money. How are you going to place them? The 110 and 210 speakers do not come with mounting options. The 110 weighs like 35 pounds and the 210 weighs 55. That is not something you can easily hang. The 110sr comes is compatible with 200x200 VESA for mounting.

I'm not sure what you mean by clarity?? PSA subs are not the typical subwoofers you've heard from brand names. The response even on the V3600i is very tight. You won't believe your ears if you purchase a vented design. The S3600i is a monster. But still, I think @SSL and I are pushing the same thing... even if you speak to Tom... he will recommend that two smaller subwoofers is better than one. The evenness of bass is surprisingly noticeable with two. You could always buy one for now and add one again later. I also own the S3000i which I use at my computer. It's also a noteworthy sub to consider. 

The S1500 is a little bit on the small side for impact during movies. Too bad they don't have the S1800 (yet, I'm sure). I used to own the V1500 which is a great sub for movies. I thought a single V1500 worked well in my theater. I don't know I'm a little skeptical to recommend sealed subwoofers for a home theater. I don't really understand the benefit over a well designed vented version.

Truthfully MTM-210s for surrounds is overkill. The 110 or 110sr are smaller and use the same tweeter. They have a very similar sound signature to the 210 speakers... they are just smaller. And dang seven 210 speakers is a butt load of money. How are you going to place them? The 110 and 210 speakers do not come with mounting options. The 110 weighs like 35 pounds and the 210 weighs 55. That is not something you can easily hang. The 110sr comes is compatible with 200x200 VESA for mounting.

I'm not sure what you mean by clarity?? PSA subs are not the typical subwoofers you've heard from brand names. The response even on the V3600i is very tight. You won't believe your ears if you purchase a vented design. The S3600i is a monster. But still, I think @SSL and I are pushing the same thing... even if you speak to Tom... he will recommend that two smaller subwoofers is better than one. The evenness of bass is surprisingly noticeable with two. You could always buy one for now and add one again later. I also own the S3000i which I use at my computer. It's also a noteworthy sub to consider. 

The S1500 is a little bit on the small side for impact during movies. Too bad they don't have the S1800 (yet, I'm sure). I used to own the V1500 which is a great sub for movies. I thought a single V1500 worked well in my theater. I don't know I'm a little skeptical to recommend sealed subwoofers for a home theater. I don't really understand the benefit over a well designed vented version.

Think I'll talk to him tomorrow and figure it out.

Video impressions of the MT-110 speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZo_Cvw4KM

Video impressions of the S1500 and V1500 subs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdVosDJD52o

I recommend watching the sub video with a subwoofer and you can sort of hear these two versions are very identical. But I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer's recommendation. I think he is having the issue where a second subwoofer would help tremendously.

Think I'll talk to him tomorrow and figure it out.

Yeah man. Have fun! Go crazy. Come back and tell us all about it. 

Here is a link to a PSA specific thread at AVS Forums. These guys own them and know a lot about them: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1372020-official-power-sound-audio-subwoofer-thread.html

I don't know I'm a little skeptical to recommend sealed subwoofers for a home theater. I don't really understand the benefit over a well designed vented version.

Ports inherently introduce group delay and inferior impulse response. Not something that can just be designed around, at least as far as I know.

Most people recommend sealed subs primarily for music as a result; for movies a good ported design probably makes the most sense as you say.

All I can say on this matter is that if I was spending that much on a home theater set up I would first spend money on wire installation and bias lighting and other room treatments.  I would want speaker wires installed in wall, and depending on the room I would want to install ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos.  I would also have the TV professionally calibrated, preferably after I settled on the bias lighting.  I have no idea how much that would cost, hence why I would do it first.

All I can say on this matter is that if I was spending that much on a home theater set up I would first spend money on wire installation and bias lighting and other room treatments.  I would want speaker wires installed in wall, and depending on the room I would want to install ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos.  I would also have the TV professionally calibrated, preferably after I settled on the bias lighting.  I have no idea how much that would cost, hence why I would do it first.

Yeah already have 300 feet of wire and the same guys who're helping build the home theater are doing that. Didn't research acoustics and whatnot too much because we don't start on the home theater for another month, I'd appreciate any advice though. So far I have: no parallel surfaces and don't use material that reflects sound.

Yeah man. Have fun! Go crazy. Come back and tell us all about it. 

Here is a link to a PSA specific thread at AVS Forums. These guys own them and know a lot about them: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1372020-official-power-sound-audio-subwoofer-thread.html

Talked to Tom and he gave me a coupon on the V3600I :D but I'm only getting one, two seems overkill. I'm thinking about two Dolby Atmos speakers on the ceiling. He directed me to the JBL in ceiling speakers. Have any idea which I should get? http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound

Ports inherently introduce group delay and inferior impulse response. Not something that can just be designed around, at least as far as I know.

Most people recommend sealed subs primarily for music as a result; for movies a good ported design probably makes the most sense as you say.

That just sounds so theoretical.,, how audible are all these negative aspects of a ported sub?

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is a receiver, you will need one that supports all your needs, so you need to budget for that.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Talked to Tom and he gave me a coupon on the V3600I :D but I'm only getting one, two seems overkill. I'm thinking about two Dolby Atmos speakers on the ceiling. He directed me to the JBL in ceiling speakers. Have any idea which I should get? http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound

Oh yeah that v3600 is way to go man. Tom definitely doesn't steer you in the wrong direction. Your head will be exploding in no time, and you'll have a huge grin on your face the whole time. My recommendation is not to overstate your room size setting when you actually plug it in and start using it.

For in-ceiling speakers, make sure you get something that has a frequency range near the PSA's, which is around 70 to 18k Hz. It doesn't matter what you choose from JBL, they won't be able to keep up with the PSAs. You will hear noticeable distortion at very high volumes. The other thing you can look into is making sure it has roughly the same area for the woofer so you can get similar mid-tones.

Did you order the speakers too?

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is a receiver, you will need one that supports all your needs, so you need to budget for that.

Already have a Sony STR-DN850 but I don't think it supports Atmos

Oh yeah that v3600 is way to go man. Tom definitely doesn't steer you in the wrong direction. Your head will be exploding in no time, and you'll have a huge grin on your face the whole time. My recommendation is not to overstate your room size setting when you actually plug it in and start using it.

For in-ceiling speakers, make sure you get something that has a frequency range near the PSA's, which is around 70 to 18k Hz. It doesn't matter what you choose from JBL, they won't be able to keep up with the PSAs. You will hear noticeable distortion at very high volumes. The other thing you can look into is making sure it has roughly the same area for the woofer so you can get similar mid-tones.

Did you order the speakers too?

Ordering them later next month. Didn't finish building my home theater yet so I want to try them out with the finished product. If the JBLs can't keep up, should I get a couple Atmos enabled speakers from PSA?