MSI offers BIOS update to allow non-K Skylake CPUs to be overclocked

GalacticRuler

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/jon-martindale/msi-now-offers-non-k-skylake-overclocking-too/

MSI has now released updates for all of its Z-170 mobos to make them capable of applying clock speed boosts to all Skylake CPUs.

Now that both ASRock and MSI have released BIOS updates to allow overclocking of all CPUs on the Z170 chipset, will the rest of the motherboard manufacturers do this too? And will Intel put a stop to this?

I feel like intels going to have them stop.

then again, very doubtful that either would have gone through with this without first running it past intel.

Then again... why would you pay more for a "k" skew if you can overclock the non "k" skew.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I don't think Intel can stop it. After all, it's not illegal to overclock a non-K sku, it's just not made to be overclocked.

I used to be quite active here.

I don't think Intel can stop it. After all, it's not illegal to overclock a non-K sku, it's just not made to be overclocked.

They attempted to with the G3258 and Windows 10. But Microsoft patched it.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/jon-martindale/msi-now-offers-non-k-skylake-overclocking-too/

Now that both ASRock and MSI have released BIOS updates to allow overclocking of all CPUs on the Z170 chipset, will the rest of the motherboard manufacturers do this too? And will Intel put a stop to this?

Asus has it as well, just not super public yet

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Please update your post to be in line with our requirements for Tech News. You have 24 hours to fix your post or the thread will be moved.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't get why people are so skeptical, you could do the same thing with Ivy/Sandy Bridge.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I don't get why people are so skeptical, you could do the same thing with Ivy/Sandy Bridge.

People weren't hitting 6 ghz on i3's from SB or Ivy purely from BCLK overclocking lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

People weren't hitting 6 ghz on i3's from SB or Ivy purely from BCLK overclocking lol

Did I say they were? I purely meant why people are skeptical of Intel allowing OEMs to enable overclocking of locked chips.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

No, you couldn't. You could not BCLK overclocked locked multiplier Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs because the PCIe bus was tied to the baseclock, and +/- 2-4% difference in baseclock (sometimes up to 5%) resulted in instability and crashing due to this. Basically, you could go from 100 to 104 maybe. Now, we're talking about going from 100 to 130-135, which is actually an overclock worth doing. This is BIG news. You can overclock i3 CPUs now, as well as the i5-6500. This hasn't happened since 2009.

I feel like intels going to have them stop.

then again, very doubtful that either would have gone through with this without first running it past intel.

Then again... why would you pay more for a "k" skew if you can overclock the non "k" skew.

i would just think the K ones OC higher and better in this case.

just like 980ti and 980ti OC/KingPin Etc.,

I'm interested in stability. For instance, is a 6600 as stable as 6600K when OC? Same goes for others.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

i would just think the K ones OC higher and better in this case.

just like 980ti and 980ti OC/KingPin Etc.,

They both oc the same, it just 1 you can play with both multiplier and bclk while the other you can only play with bclk.

I'm interested in stability. For instance, is a 6600 as stable as 6600K when OC? Same goes for others.

I oc'ed mine 6500 to 4.3GHz and it is stable and I did do some benchmark against 4790k, single core cinebench it beat my 4790k 4.5GHz by 2 pts

It can be oc more but I'm fine with 4.3, and I'm sure 4.7GHz is achievable

Kinda similar with what happened to the Haswell chips that were overclocked without using a Z-series motherboard. Intel patched that with a microcode update on the bios.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Kinda similar with what happened to the Haswell chips that were overclocked without using a Z-series motherboard. Intel patched that with a microcode update on the bios.

Except they can't fix a hardware problem in chips that have already been designed and placed on the shelves. No microcode update can prevent this. If a company builds a 50-foot wall, someone will always make a 51-foot ladder.