build for my brother! use old stuff or get new?

Go to solution Solved by tbroadwater2010,

well it cant be shit but seing as its only 25% the one with the old parts will have to do for now, might get him just a better GPU or something we will see

Go with a Samsung 850 EVO and a graphics card on your older build if you can afford it. That will help him out and then he wont need an SSD later!

So I want to build a PC for my brother for christmas(lol not gona happen xD) and i have made 2 plans, one were I use some parts I have from my old PC that arent too bad and one with entirely new parts, maximum budget is $700 with win10 included in that price but I dont want to have spend that much.

The one with stuff I have:

CPU: AMD-FX6300 (already have)
Graphics card: GTX750TI (already have)
RAM: 2x4GB HyperX 1866MHz $44
Motherboard: no clue but its M-ATX
Power supply: Corsair CX500M $64
Storage: Seagate Desktop SSHD ST1000DX001 1TB $69
Case: Zalman GT 1000 (already have)

Total: Roughly $280 converted from sek.

And the one with new stuff:
CPU: I5-4460 $180
Graphics card: EVGA GTX950 SC $180
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary $84
Storage: Intenso 2.5" SSD SATA III 128GB $49 + Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 64MB 1TB $49 or Seagate Desktop SSHD ST1000DX001 1TB $69
Case: Zalman GT 1000 (already have)

Total: Roughly $658 + $100(SSD+HDD) or $69(SSHD) converted form sek.

Which do you think would be the best to get? The all new stuff dosent really out preform the one with old stuff that much so im not sure on what to go with and any suggestions would be great like go with the one with old parts but new graphics or something i dont know and team red is probably a better choice for GPU but im so unfamiliar with them so i just went with a 950 :/ also all the conversions for price are very rough but they should give you a clue.

Thanks for any replies and any help! :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i would go new if i have the economy for it. (Ser ut som du kommer från Sverige... byggde en ny dator som klarar nya spel bra för ca 11000kr)

New, i wouldn't call anything an upgrade if there was a fx CPU inside.

So I want to build a PC for my brother for christmas(lol not gona happen xD) and i have made 2 plans, one were I use some parts I have from my old PC that arent too bad and one with entirely new parts, maximum budget is $700 with win10 included in that price but I dont want to have spend that much.

The one with stuff I have:

CPU: AMD-FX6300 (already have)
Graphics card: GTX750TI (already have)
Motherboard: no clue but its M-ATX
Storage: Seagate Desktop SSHD ST1000DX001 1TB $69
Case: Zalman GT 1000 (already have)

Total: Roughly $280 converted from sek.

And the one with new stuff:
CPU: I5-4460 $180
Graphics card: EVGA GTX950 SC $180
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary $84
Storage: Intenso 2.5" SSD SATA III 128GB $49 + Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 64MB 1TB $49 or Seagate Desktop SSHD ST1000DX001 1TB $69
Case: Zalman GT 1000 (already have)

Total: Roughly $658 + $100(SSD+HDD) or $69(SSHD) converted form sek.

Which do you think would be the best to get? The all new stuff dosent really out preform the one with old stuff that much so im not sure on what to go with and any suggestions would be great like go with the one with old parts but new graphics or something i dont know and team red is probably a better choice for GPU but im so unfamiliar with them so i just went with a 950 :/ also all the conversions for price are very rough but they should give you a clue.

Thanks for any replies and any help! :)

Youre second build, of mostly new parts, will out perform your AMD one by a lot, plus the newer gen GPU with the 950. If you are looking to spend around $700 then your second build is the way you should proceed.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Remember that the PSU is not too good, I recommend changing it to an XFX for example (cheap, reliable) EVGA(G2,GS,GQ,B2,P2)/Seasonic/Superflower are good too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Youre second build, of mostly new parts, will out perform your AMD one by a lot, plus the newer gen GPU with the 950. If you are looking to spend around $700 then your second build is the way you should proceed.

i dont want to spend $700 its just the absolute limit i would rather get off cheaper

Remember that the PSU is not too good, I recommend changing it to an XFX for example (cheap, reliable) EVGA(G2,GS,GQ,B2,P2)/Seasonic/Superflower are good too.

ok il see if i can find a better one for around the same price or cheaper

I say go with the used one. I can't constitute a 300+% price increase for like a 25% increase in performance.

wow only 25% increase in preformance.. thats shit feel more pushed towards the used build now and he can throw his money at it later lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i dont want to spend $700 its just the absolute limit i would rather get off cheaper

ok il see if i can find a better one for around the same price or cheaper

wow only 25% increase in preformance.. thats shit feel more pushed towards the used build now and he can throw his money at it later lol

If you want to go cheap, then go cheap. The second build is better and uses Intel z97 which means you have upgradability for him in the future, if he wants to toss a 4690(k) or 4790(k) which will be better than 99% of AMD CPUs. If you dont care, go cheap!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

If you want to go cheap, then go cheap. The second build is better and uses Intel z97 which means you have upgradability for him in the future, if he wants to toss a 4690(k) or 4790(k) which will be better than 99% of AMD CPUs. If you dont care, go cheap!

well it cant be shit but seing as its only 25% the one with the old parts will have to do for now, might get him just a better GPU or something we will see

Builds:

Spoiler

Go with a Samsung 850 EVO and a graphics card on your older build if you can afford it. That will help him out and then he wont need an SSD later!

thanks for the help, will do something like that, thanks :D

Builds:

Spoiler

thanks for the help, will do something like that, thanks :D

Youre welcome! Dont forget to mark solved!

Youre welcome! Dont forget to mark solved!

lol thanks for the reminder, always forget to do that :P

Builds:

Spoiler

lol thanks for the reminder, always forget to do that :P

Me too thats why i always remind people!